04/03/05 08:09 AM
T
TwoLight Offline OP
stranger
TwoLight  Offline OP
stranger
T

Hi all from a potential H16 sailor.
I'm interested to move to a H16 (from a 14 foot cat) with my son as crew. We enjoy racing and the local H16 fleet is strong and offers us some good advantages as far as improving our sailing.
However, the problem for us is that our combined weight is quite light. We are 101kg (222lbs). I am a lightweight and son has followed with same genes.
A few questions for the experts;
a) Would we physically be able to right a H16 in moderate conditions (even if it was turtled)?
b) Is 222lbs a sensible weight to be racing at? (I know the official class rules would see us carry weight to a minimum value)(Should we just wait till son puts on another 20kg/45lbs?!)
c) Are there other successful lightweight crews out there (carrying weight)?
d) If we have to carry that much weight on the boat to race legally - what are the best options for how and where to carry that weight?
Thanks in advance for your help.
regards
Keen to get started!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: H16 Minimum Combined Crew Weight [Re: TwoLight] #46695
04/08/05 04:37 PM
04/08/05 04:37 PM
The Netherlands, Europe
flying_dutchman Offline
journeyman
flying_dutchman  Offline
journeyman

The Netherlands, Europe
I have been sailing a Hobie 16 for a few years now, mostly alone. Being rather heavy I come close to your weight together but in light conditions (<5 Bft) it is kind of difficult for me to right the cat. I use 2 devices: a small floater at the top of my mast (2 section mast, tends to float less..) and I have a plastic shopping bag. I fill the bag completely with water (>20 liter, about 4 gallon) and hang it over my shoulder. With this added weight I can right my Hobie 16, even without any wind. With more wind however (>5 Bft) I manage alone, even without the bag! However I strongly recommend to do some practise on a hot day, light wind and nice water temperatures. And: always take a ± 15 m' long line with you. In case needed a motorboat can always help you out and put the boat back on it's bananas.
Cannot give any recommendation on crew weight in race conditions, besides:
In light conditions it will be an advantage (when allowed), in tougher conditions more weight on board can be helpfull. By the way: we have only a few Hobies at the club. It must be nice to have a large fleet to match with! I envy you..
Happy sailing and good luck

Happy sailing from The Netherlands!

Eddie

Hobie 16 (1992) # 99173 & CT11 - with spi
Re: H16 Minimum Combined Crew Weight [Re: flying_dutchman] #46696
04/08/05 08:53 PM
04/08/05 08:53 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Technically, you are too light to even carry weight to race.

The class rules specify you can only carry up to 50 lbs to make the 285 lb minimum weight. You and your son need to weigh at least 235 lbs together.

However, if you're just racing in a fleet race, I can't see anybody getting too steamed about you sailing with a few pounds more.

I sail with my 12 year old daughter and we have to carry the full 50 lbs to make minimum. I use two 25 lb steel barbell weights tied together through the trampoline just behind the mast.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 615 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022