Isotope Stuff [Re: steveh] #48017
04/29/05 11:54 AM
04/29/05 11:54 AM
J
jpayers Offline
jpayers  Offline
J

Hey Mary hey Wouter,

About the Isotope class being F16 compliant. I wrote the article on the IFG website. Wouter I thought I was stating what the F16 class decision was several years ago. Of course you as chairman would have final decision.

The Isotope is underpowered with sail under the F16 sail footage requirments but until we start sailing with crew the 185sqft will stay the same. Last fall my boat became a human catapult on a cross gust half way through a jibe (plenty of Sail).

It was a pleasure to finaly met you at Spring Fever Mary.

Cheers,
J.P.Ayers
Isotope 186 (shark boat)

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Isotope Stuff [Re: jpayers] #48018
04/29/05 04:34 PM
04/29/05 04:34 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

J.P.

The decision in 2002 (because that is the one you are referring too) was about letting Isotopes race with us at Springfever signlehandedly with main and jib. Pretty much dispensations are reviewed yearly and as we have not seen an Isotope race with us since 2002 this decision sort of expired. With this in mind I made my other post. We can of course revive the 2002 decision but I honestly don't think it will be much fun for you guys. The jib is not enough against the spinnakers. It would be pretty skewed racing between sloop Isotopes and F16's in all conditions except the very light stuff were the spi won't fill properly. This is also the reason why I don't have much trouble in reviving the 2002 decision. (sorry )

And there is something else. Through Paul Kilkenny (F16 California) I learned that IFG was working on a F16 compliant spi package. At that time it was expressed that when the Isotope features a spinnaker that then they can not use the jib when singlehanding. Such a spi-isotope setup would not be covered by the 2002 decision and therefor such an Isotope must be fully compliant with the F16 rules or request a new dispensation.

I must admit though that I haven't heard anything official from IFG along the lines that such a F16 spi package has been finalized. I do feel it will make the Isotope a whole different beast.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Isotope Stuff [Re: Wouter] #48019
04/29/05 09:06 PM
04/29/05 09:06 PM
J
jpayers Offline
jpayers  Offline
J

Hey Wouter,

No problems, this is a classic example of one design vs formula racing. I do think the Blade in the U.S. will do well due to it's local manufacturer, but the Isotope will probably stay the same. As long as we have a fleet to race against nothing will change. Its just that the sailors like to single hand. There is some discussion at IFG as to whether they would make a F16 compliant boat. The driving force for such a boat would be an order. There may be some experimentation with a spinaker for the Cheshire, for the F14 class we have one made but it hasen't gotten wet yet.

Will be sailing down in New Bern N.C. at the Clark Cup tommorrow. Wish me luck. May send a write up to Cat Sailor.

Good Luck
J.P.Ayers

Re: Isotope Stuff [Re: jpayers] #48020
04/30/05 04:12 AM
04/30/05 04:12 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Good Luck J.P. !

As long as we have a fleet to race against nothing will change.

And completely right you are.

There is some discussion at IFG as to whether they would make a F16 compliant boat. The driving force for such a boat would be an order.

That is sort of a catch 22 situation isn't it ? You won't get a serious order without a boat that has proven itself (drawback of a formula class setup) and IFG won't make a boat without an order.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Isotope Stuff [Re: Wouter] #48021
04/30/05 11:38 AM
04/30/05 11:38 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
J.P.,
If the F16 class gets going in this country, it would be interesting to see how the Isotope compares if it is rigged to fit the F16 class. And I don't think it requires somebody to buy a new boat fitted out for that purpose. An existing owner could modify their sail rig to comply, couldn't they?

Most events involving F16's will probably be on inland lakes, which are where the Isotope excels.

I'm one of those people who think that new hull designs are not necessarily better or faster than old hull designs. We just rarely get a chance to test them against each other, boat for boat.

It would be fun to have a series of F16 "shootouts" for a few years to find out what works and what doesn't as far as hull design if all the boats have relatively equal sail configurations (meaning that some might be less sail area).

IF, and that's a big if, the Isotope turned out to be fast enough to compete boat for boat in the F16 configurations, that would be a big plus for the Isotope and for its designer and manufacturer.

Then we would have TWO F16 builders in this country.

Last edited by Mary; 04/30/05 12:02 PM.
Re: Isotope Stuff [Re: Mary] #48022
04/30/05 02:54 PM
04/30/05 02:54 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
If anyone is willing to bring a Isotope to South FL, I am willing to provide the Blade do some FUN match racing. We can even swap crews, and swap boats. I think that would an awesome comparison. Remember I am a newbie racer, but I will NOT use that as an excuse

Last edited by Robi; 04/30/05 02:55 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 450 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022