12/28/01 05:44 PM
12/28/01 05:44 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline OP
old hand
sail6000  Offline OP
old hand

MI
Basics -The general philosophy is to make them as simple and inclusive as possible ,--Once started rule amendments and additions may be made by the majority vote of class members .

OPEN FORMULA 20 CLASS

For catsailors of good will to race together for the enjoyment of the sport in the spirit of rule #2 of fair sailing under ISAF rules –To compete within recognized principles of sportsmanship and fair play.

Intent -.

To race 20-ft catamarans of various design features equally on a first across the finish line wins basis, in buoys and distance racing.

Basic specifications - OPEN FORMULA 20 .

LENGTH –20 ft one inch max. —Stern to bow meas.

BEAM - 8.5 ft –max.hull point meas.

WEIGHT –two categories of boat wgt. –380 Lb. and above

-410 Lb. and above

-Definition boat weights –boat sails and all att gear fully rigged

Boats may add permanently fixed gear and floatation to meet min.

Corrector weights will also be allowed for boats under 380 total.

SAIL AREA –two corresponding categories

380 min boat wgt –MAINSAIL =208 sq. ft inc. mast --53 sq. ft jib +274 sq. ft spin

410 min.boat weight MAINSAIL =215 sq. ft – 55 sq. ft jib + 290 sq. ft spin . Increases of 7 sq. ft in main –2 in jib and 16 sq. ft in spin area in 30-LB boat wgt differential.

Sail area may be traded off from main to jib of equal sq. ft to allow modification and design variation of sail plan. Area from main TO jib only.

All measurements per ISAF measurement rules, --see diagrams and instruction.

Sailmakers and measurers to list sq. ft in 2 inch red numerals at the tack of each sail next to the sailmakers logo. -Racing will be on the honor system, but any boat may be challenged and checked along with the protesting party also being checked for weight and sail area compliance. Those not in compliance will be DSQ for those races.

Also see rule #2 . ISAF rules .

CREW –One or more may be crew. -All must be capable of righting from a capsize.

-CREW WEIGHT –-A class min of 325 Lb., one half of weight below may be carried by lighter teams to meet min req.-Example –a 305 team may carry 10 Lb s to meet min.

Wgt based on teams wearing standard swim apparel and shirt.All teams are responcible for maintaining min crew wgt.

-MASTS –May be of alum. Or carbon fiber in standard section tapered or uniform and a Max 32 ft length. -Standard wire rigging only, but attachment points and tang locations are open, trap wires and adjustments are also open to development.

SPIN POLES –a MAX 13 FT. length may be used made of any material with snuffer configuration of any type.

-

--Advertisement--
Re: rules basis -OPEN FORMULA 20 [Re: sail6000] #4977
12/28/01 09:11 PM
12/28/01 09:11 PM
Texas
majsteve Offline
majsteve  Offline

Texas
Carl,

I see your intent here but, you need to figure out a different way to regulate sail area. Changing the SA from main to jib only is not an adequate way. If you can limit adjustment by percentages that would be better. For example, from the way that I read this (I may be wrong in how I'm reading it). If I have a 6.0 NA and I want to build a squaretop and self tacking jib then I can not make that configuration. Remeber that I am sailing heavy (380) and a heavy boat(422). If I could make a 9-11 square foot adjustment in the main then I would have basically an I20 setup on the 6.0.

The reason I am looking at this is -- look at this setup. 6.0 squaretop main, self tacking jib, roller reacher. I have taken the reaching jib off the 6.0 added controlable SA in the main (which this boat needs for heaviy air) and added the reacher for more managable course work. The boat becomes very flexible for all racing bouys and distance and my costs to modify are neglible due to using a cut headboard versus a new mast. IE I got the mast height needed to be competitive with the I20. Total costs about 2200 dollars. I know I just did it as an experiment. Oh yes and the reacher is smaller than 290 yet faster than the I20's spin.

Steve

Re: rules basis -OPEN FORMULA 20 [Re: majsteve] #4978
12/29/01 11:10 AM
12/29/01 11:10 AM
MI
sail6000 Offline OP
old hand
sail6000  Offline OP
old hand

MI
Hi Steve -

Sounds like a good sailplan setup for a 6/0 ,--The Cathouse ,--Mark here in MI , set up a 6/0 much the same except for the reacher , -The reacher has been advocated and used by Rick ,-Catsailor -forum -and a team from MI used a reacher in the 98 Worrell 1000 ,--It was only faster in 3 to 6 mph winds to windward and of course could not point as high as a standard rig,-otherwise it was generally much slower . The EXPRESS version of the 6/0 by Smyth Sails also had a large sq top main , -And the original 6/0 had a self tacking smaller jib .

The basis of sail area is from the OPEN FORMULA 20 -specs not from existing ,-so you can set up a main on a 410 LB boat and above with a 215 sq ft main 55 sq ft jib and max,290 sq ft spin or less .

The main to jib trade off of sail area is to allow the N-6/0 or P19 or any other existing cat with a larger jib than 55 sq ft to sail as is ,-or allows simple modification to an existing cat that wants to keep its smaller main and just increase to a larger jib area to max. area allowed comperable to the I-20 OR ABOVE FOR HEAVIER BOATS PER RULE ,---{potentially a smaller reacher type sail on a furler ,-and still add a spin ,---This may be the most versital setup though there are numerous possibilities and rig variation allowed under this more open type of rules structure .

KEEP US UPDATED on the 6/0 S performance in racing ,-

thanks Steve-

Will clearify the rules and reorganize them ,but they will be very brief , others can add to them as or if necessary over time.-These are just basics of sail area -and weights .

-Add to it , make suggestions ,-recommendations -

Carl

-

Re: rules basis -OPEN FORMULA 20 [Re: sail6000] #4979
01/03/02 05:40 PM
01/03/02 05:40 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline OP
old hand
sail6000  Offline OP
old hand

MI
Some ammendments to the proposed rules -

May keep standard sized main sails and just adjust jib and spin area for heavier designs for simplicity .

-May lower min boat wgt to 376 ,-Tornado min , to potentially include converted Tornado platforms , and

also in the future the class may wish to include 10 ft beam cats in the starts at regattas and use a wind speed rating factor when the wind is above 10 m p h .

-Will post a revised version above .

-Some rules questions -asked -

1-Can I take my dog as crew ?

YES ,-but if protested he / she must weigh in wearing standard swim apparel and a shirt .

-question 2 -

Could someone build a custom design with multiple masts and sailplans to race in class .

YES ,but we would first require them to take a complete phsyciatric examination by noted catamaran physcologist listed on this Catsailor forum, they would have to keep looking until found and a full report filed before being allowed to race.

-just joking ,--have fun .

Carl

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022