Hop To
need price advice #50781
06/10/05 12:52 AM
06/10/05 12:52 AM
russb Offline OP
stranger
russb  Offline OP
stranger

I've found a 1978 standard 14, and need some advice on what would be a decent price. It's a former race boat that's been parked under a tree for about 10 years. The hulls aren't soft, but the tops are really ugly...very chalky and look to have mold-like dark spots all along the tops. The sides and bottoms of the hulls look pretty good and are solid with very little beach wear. It does have a dolphin striker.

The standing rigging was not attached, and is in storage so it wasn't available to inspect. There are two sails: a nice crispy all-white racing sail with a fwe minor stains and another white one that is pretty blown out, but undamaged. Both are 5-batten and have complete sets of battens. The running rigging also wasn't available for inspection, but the owner seems to think she has two sets of Harken blocks for it.

The tramp was removed and stored inside and is stiff, in fair shape with the hiking straps still attached. Rudders were off boat and stored inside, and appear to be in good shape. Trailer is galvanized with two flat tires and is buried in old leaves up to the axle. Everything visible was in good shape with minor rust in a few spots.

What should I offer? What's the MOST I should pay?

Thanks!
RB

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: need price advice [Re: russb] #50782
06/10/05 09:19 AM
06/10/05 09:19 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
I'd start low (<$500) and go from there. I wouldn't pay more than $750 for it. It's probably heavy and you can count on replacing all the rigging.

You'll want to replace the tires on the trailer at a minimum. Maybe bearings and lights, too.

Examples - paid $650 for an early 70's Turbo w/ painted trailer. Hulls, frame and mast are in good shape, but took a lot of work to clean up. Tramp was OK, but no straps. Ended up being a little heavy (257#).

Paid $1000 for an '85 sub-minimum weight (240#) standard 14 w/galvanized trailer. Tramp was usable, but no straps. Hulls, frame and mast in excellent shape. Only needs to be buffed out.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022