08/02/05 01:22 PM
08/02/05 01:22 PM
PA
WayneM Offline OP
stranger
WayneM  Offline OP
stranger

PA
H16 - When under way I *sometimes* don't get full rotation, visible when the mast won't rotate to same angle as boom. The only way I can describe it is the mast won't turn past a certain point. Before launching I've never observed any restriction in the rotation, but perhaps my next step is to always check it.

So I'm looking for ideas. What might restrict mast rotation (other than the mast step link - which I've encountered)? Jib halyard downhauled too hard? Something else in the rigging?

p.s. I've been using plastic soda bottle as mast bearing chips (extremely durable, plus free) cut to fit for a couple years with no noticable problems. I haven't seen any contact, but perhaps they are too thin, causing the upper part of the mast base to make contact when mast is raked back?

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: restricted mast rotation [Re: WayneM] #54344
08/02/05 01:42 PM
08/02/05 01:42 PM
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South A...
Clint_SA Offline
journeyman
Clint_SA  Offline
journeyman

Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South A...
Not sure if this will help, but this is what I found on my boat last time I sailed.
Even though there was not restriction on the rotation, with everything set up to go, I noticed some restiction while on the water. My 'stoppers' on the mast base which stop over rotation where sitting on the mast step. Thus before the the mast could fully rotate(ie. mast base stopper having contact with the mast step peice), the opposite mast 'stopper' peice would rest on the mast step towards the back stopping full rotation. The reason it only happened on the water ( I assume ) is because of the tension on the mast due to sheeting in the main blocks. ( I might be wrong, but it sounds logical )
So, I've decided to grind off a bit from the mast step near the back area to prevent this.
Wait for other posts before you grind your step..I could be missing something

Clint

Dubulamanzi

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 702 guests, and 101 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022