08/02/05 08:31 PM
08/02/05 08:31 PM
N
Nate Offline OP
stranger
Nate  Offline OP
stranger
N

I was in Florida last week and had good luck trolling for King Mackerel 1-2 miles off the beach off the back of my H16. I've got some ideas for rod holders for trolling which would keep everything out of the way of the mainsail but I'd like to see anything anyone else might already have. Does anyone fish off your boat?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Rod holders for H16 [Re: Nate] #54384
08/03/05 05:44 AM
08/03/05 05:44 AM
J
JackKartz Offline
stranger
JackKartz  Offline
stranger
J

I just tie some 1 1/2 PVC pipe between the rear of the rail and the hull pylon. Be sure and get a short piece of line and a snap hook to keep the rod on the boat.

I 've caught some mackerel.

Did you bring the "toothy" King on the boat?. I've heard stories of serious injuries when the come aboard.

I drag a double spoon rig. A 3-way swivel to a 2ft and 3 ft 80lb monoleader. The front leg gets a "Clark" spoon and the rear a 2 oz "Crocodile" spoon

Re: Rod holders for H16 [Re: JackKartz] #54385
08/03/05 04:56 PM
08/03/05 04:56 PM
N
Nate Offline OP
stranger
Nate  Offline OP
stranger
N

Yes, I brought them onto the boat, but only after I had 'subdued' them with a knife. Next time I'm taking a gaff. They are very toothy and definitely hyperactive, but I think if you tried to tow a fish in you'd likely loose it to a shark or other unsavory species, plus I wouldn't want to draw any sharks in toward the beach by sailing in amongst a bunch of kids in the surf with a big hunk of chum hanging off my boat! They have to be at least 24" at the fork so you do have to be able to release them unharmed. Just hold them up by the leader and try to get the hook with a pair of pliers. I hear they can get up to 60 lbs but I doubt the larger ones come that close to the beach. The ones we caught were 10-15 lbs. Great fun though, and great eating.

Re: Rod holders for H16 [Re: Nate] #54386
08/03/05 08:08 PM
08/03/05 08:08 PM
Hudson Valley
whoa Offline
whoa  Offline

Hudson Valley
Can't resist. Wasn't on a Hobie - thank goodness! Rather a 35' cruiser going south down the east coast of Margarita (an island off Venezuela) I'm not a fisherman, but some folks urged me to buy a handline while we were in Grenada and give it a try. Sure enough a fish with teeth like a barracuda that was nearly as long as me(friends in the anchorage, who were needed for cutting up and sharing this monster, estimated its weight at 80 lbs. I think they were close. They also told me he was a King Mackerel. The wife made me bring it aboard on the foredeck(she's not a fisherman even more than me ). The leader gave me a good cut in the hand as he tried to bite my leg off. He was spreading scales and slime all over the place while I was trying to pour gin in him. I had been told that pouring booze in his gills would send him off to fish heaven. Did you ever try to get gin down a fish's gills? A very large angry fish with big sharp teeth, while holding him by a sharp metal leader that had already caused great quantities of your blood to mix with the slime now covering the deck? I felt the next best approach was down his immense mouth. I think he got drunk and passed out. I put a large old anchor on him and retreated to the **** to nurse my wounds. As a footnote that fish was delicious, but I wouldn't have wanted to be on a Hobie that day.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 124 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022