08/19/05 02:00 PM
08/19/05 02:00 PM
Montreal , QC
CatRon Offline OP
journeyman
CatRon  Offline OP
journeyman

Montreal , QC
I acquired from somewhere a roll of industrial-type clear plastic stretch roll. The kind like you can have your suitcase wrapped up in at the airport. This roll is about, say, 15-18 inch in width.
When I drop my mast, I wrap up my mast with this, starting at the tang and wrap round 'n round to the mast base, including all lines, traps, shrouds in the wrap. Takes literally a minute to do and all your lines are tightly wrapped up with the mast. Nothing needs to be tied, nothing is flapping around, no lines getting caught on anything. Once the H16 is on the trailor, the mast quickly and easy is lifted/moved onto the trailor. When travelling - your mast and all lines are protected from any road grit that you may encounter.
When I want to step the mast, I hook up H16 mast base/step key, then run a razor knife down the length of the mast in the main sail groove along the mast. The wrap comes off in a jiff and the shrouds quickly available to attach. Before I do the wrap (as above) I bungie my 4 trap lines to the trap base so they stay in place and out of the way (same for main and jib halyard). In this way, when you unwrap the wrap, only the shrouds are loose and ready to install. With the mast up, I quickly attach the traps and it's time to sail!!!
Not rocket science but a quick and easy thing to do that is fast, efficient and makes moving/transporting your mast and lines super easy. No headaches.
PS No, I don't know where you can buy this stuff. The roll I have looks like it will last for years to come.
Hope others may find this useful.
Cheers to all

----------------- H16 '82 Tornado '88
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Idea to help with trailoring [Re: CatRon] #55562
08/20/05 10:24 AM
08/20/05 10:24 AM
Central Texas
yoh Offline
yoh  Offline

Central Texas
Hmmm, IIRC I have seen the stuff at Office Depot... I think people use it to wrap carton boxes. The stuff I have seen is not as wide...

Patrick

Patrick, Hobie 16 '85

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022