Page 1 of 2 1 2
Righting #56104
08/28/05 02:41 PM
08/28/05 02:41 PM
N
newbiesailor Offline OP
newbiesailor  Offline OP
N

Ive been learning to sail for most of the summer here, but the one thing i cant seem to figure out is the righting thing... do i keep my sails in tight or loose? do i point the bows into the wind or the mast? how exactly do i do it here? thanks everyone.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Righting [Re: newbiesailor] #56105
08/28/05 02:47 PM
08/28/05 02:47 PM
Tom_Robbrecht Offline
stranger
Tom_Robbrecht  Offline
stranger

Always unsheet your sails.
Check out this page for useful tips.

Re: Righting [Re: newbiesailor] #56106
08/28/05 02:50 PM
08/28/05 02:50 PM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
You need to unsheet both the main and jib or they can trap water, adding too much weight against you. I always point the mast into the wind though some advise the mast to be at an angle to it. If it is windy (which it should be if you go over) when you stand on the lower hull, by shifting your weight the wind will turn the boat relative to the angle you want. The wind on the tramp will help right the boat.

Howard

Re: Righting [Re: hrtsailor] #56107
08/29/05 09:45 AM
08/29/05 09:45 AM
Central Texas
yoh Offline
yoh  Offline

Central Texas
Check the following.... Sealed Mast, Some type of rope righting system, if you solo the hobie in wind conditions under 10 knots/h you will need a water bag or a righting pole. Unsheet Jib and Main .... not so much because they could trap water... that should run out to the rear - More to avoid acceleration and the risk of capsizing to the other side once you get the boat up.
Pivoting the boat to that 45* angle as shown in the pic is difficult. While standing on the lower hull move your weight forward until the rear of the hull points out of the water and the bows are submerged. The rotation that you create this way is slow... sometimes it seems to stop and rotate backwards. Try to get a feel when you have reached the max of rotation - then move back use the rope righting system of your choice and try to be as heavy as you can. When the boat becomes uptight reach for dolphin striker or X-bar to avoid capsizing to the other side.

Patrick

Patrick, Hobie 16 '85
Re: Righting [Re: yoh] #56108
09/08/05 12:56 PM
09/08/05 12:56 PM
West Texas
JaimeZX Offline
enthusiast
JaimeZX  Offline
enthusiast

West Texas
I've found I get the most bang for my buck with the bows straight into the wind. With the boom hanging down into the water, you get the most help from the wind this way, IMHO.

Warm regards, Jim
Re: Righting [Re: JaimeZX] #56109
09/08/05 06:30 PM
09/08/05 06:30 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
There is also a righting FAQ on the Hobie Forums Righting FAQ

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Righting [Re: mmiller] #56110
09/09/05 01:51 AM
09/09/05 01:51 AM
US Western Continental Shelf
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

In the year of our lord, 1999, a simple, catamaran sailing man named Gary Friesen discovered how to "right" a capsized, 20 foot beachcat, solo; by himself.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Mystere 6.0 "Whisk" <--- R.I.P.
Re: Righting [Re: hobiegary] #56111
09/09/05 09:30 AM
09/09/05 09:30 AM
N
newbiesailor Offline OP
newbiesailor  Offline OP
N

how did he do that one?

Re: Righting [Re: newbiesailor] #56112
09/09/05 10:39 AM
09/09/05 10:39 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Gary,

I have been hearing all about your design and how effective it was/is. Searching the net really hasn`t helped. Can you provide any more insight as to how one can build it for themselves? Pole length? Support line lenghts? Contact surface and relevant angles?

Dave

Re: Righting [Re: Captain_Dave] #56113
09/12/05 08:46 AM
09/12/05 08:46 AM
Central Texas
yoh Offline
yoh  Offline

Central Texas
Warning... What I am describing here is not the real thing... just a cheap copy of Gary’s Soloright. I used the upper part of a composite windsurfing mast and laminated a paddle shaped piece of glass over the inside of the hull in an area where you would later attach the pole to the boat. The length of the pole is about the width of the trampoline... mostly for the ease of storing the thing. The angle of the pole when attached to the boat is setup so that the pole is approximately parallel with the mast (seemed to provide good leverage). The support lines clip into loops attached to the pylons (when I took the frame off I used the extrusions in the pylons for the loops). The line length is set up to maintain the angle described before. Just roll the Hobie on its side (in shallow water or on the beach) and set up the line length. Some coarse surface (similar to the stuff you would find on the deck of a surfboard) helps to stay on the pole.

Patrick

Patrick, Hobie 16 '85
Re: Righting [Re: yoh] #56114
09/12/05 02:54 PM
09/12/05 02:54 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Patrick,

Thanks for the info. If my memory serves, you made a post on this last spring with some pictures. I copied your post and saved the pics.

I have made a glass mold of the inside surface of the Hobie 16 hull. From this, I will make another mold (duplicate male) so as to make more than one of the soloright devices (one for me and another for a friend).

A question for you; so that I am clear, does the paddle portion actually conform/mate perfectly with the inside (medial) section of the hull and not just the area under the lip of the hull? If so, how big is the paddle contact area (aprox.), and, do you then simply cut/fix your lines in order to maintain this perfectly mated contact between the two surfaces (paddle and hull)?

Also, your description of the pole portion being parallel to the mast indicates that while in the capsized position, the pole is also nearly parallel to the water. This being the case, doesn`t the pole actually submerge too early in the righting process and reduce your leverage? If not, how effective is this device? Is it truly a solo righting device?

Hope you or Gary will advise,

Dave

Last edited by Captain_Dave; 09/12/05 04:17 PM.
Solo~Righting [Re: Captain_Dave] #56115
09/12/05 09:31 PM
09/12/05 09:31 PM
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

The SoloRight was a 78" Caviness hardwood oar that was laminated with unidirectional carbon tow, woven fiberglass, and epoxy in a composite lay-up. The paddle end of the oar was laid down on top of the capsized hull's deck lip. (top of the lip when the hull is laying sideways....in other words, it was the inside edge of the hull lip, under the trampoline. And, this was only on Pridle 16, Prindle 18, Hobie 14, and Hobie 16)

The bottom side of the SoloRight, at the paddle end, had a "Z" shaped ledge that butted against the bottom edge of the hull lip and inserted underneath the lip.

The suspension lines were less than 20 feet in length, in total.

The height of the outboard end of the SoloRight was higher than parallel to the mast. The handle end of the oar was roughly, nearly as high as the tramp center lacing.

[Linked Image]
Thanks to Sheldon for demonstrating.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Re: Solo~Righting [Re: hobiegary] #56116
09/13/05 09:50 AM
09/13/05 09:50 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Gary,

Thank you very much for the information - certainly an impressive/clever design. I appreciate the physical advantage of contacting the lower hull with the pole and getting the "biggest bang for the mass" when righting the boat. The torque/moment created around the boat`s center of gravity is what your design takes best advantage of - over all the other righting methods that I have seen.

Although I am new to the sport, I was always a little mystified as to why you seemed to abandon the design as a comercial effort. Though I am aware such a venture is never as simple as it seems.

Thanks again. I am certain I am not the only one glad to have some more info on this.

Dave

Last edited by Captain_Dave; 09/13/05 11:55 AM.
Re: Solo~Righting [Re: Captain_Dave] #56117
09/13/05 11:49 AM
09/13/05 11:49 AM
N
newbiesailor Offline OP
newbiesailor  Offline OP
N

i agree i have to say that solo right pole thing is pretty cool, ive actually just got a righting bag which i need to create a pulley system for to make life extra easy

Re: Righting [Re: Captain_Dave] #56118
09/14/05 10:09 AM
09/14/05 10:09 AM
Central Texas
yoh Offline
yoh  Offline

Central Texas
A question for you; so that I am clear, does the paddle portion actually conform/mate perfectly with the inside (medial) section of the hull and not just the area under the lip of the hull?

Yes, the inside of the hull and the paddle area conform to each other. I laminated my paddle directly on the inside of the hull (hull was covered with a nylon sheet)

If so, how big is the paddle contact area (aprox.), and, do you then simply cut/fix your lines in order to maintain this perfectly mated contact between the two surfaces (paddle and hull)?

The area of the paddle is about the same of a conventional paddle (it might be slightly wider and shorter). It even can be used as a paddle if you feel like paddeling. My version of the Soloright has some flex (flex in pole , stretch in line). Initially there is very little contact between the hull and the paddle area - just the tip of the paddle is stuck under the hull lip. Once I load the pole (as in stepping on the pole) the pole flexes to a point were the paddle and the hull have nearly 100% contacts over the paddle area. I could reduce stretch of the lines by utilizing some better quality line. I also keep my eyes open of a fancier windsurfing mast (more carbon)

Also, your description of the pole portion being parallel to the mast indicates that while in the capsized position, the pole is also nearly parallel to the water. This being the case, doesn`t the pole actually submerge too early in the righting process and reduce your leverage? If not, how effective is this device?

Hmmm, I have never seen the pole attached to the boat from a perspective where the angle between mast and pole could be easily estimated ( I try to back up of my initial statement that pole and mast are parallel – nevertheless they are close to parallel.). Keep in mind the beam width of a cat and the fact that after you capsized your hobie, the thing will not float on one hull and the tip of the mast. The mast is most likely submerged to the area where the mast tang is attached to the mast. If you design your pole with a significantly steeper angle you will have a difficult time climbing the pole while the mast is in the described position. Once you get the mast tip out of the water you are not far from getting the boat upright.
I will ask someone to take pics or a short video – this might not happen in the near future.

Is it truly a solo righting device?

No, as I mentioned before – It is at best a cheap copy of a Soloright. All the innovative ideas came form Hobiegarry. I just tried to have a system available that would work in a situation where I have to right my Hobie without outside assistance. I also would like to have some strategy/system to get the Hobie out of a turtled position (solo).

Patrick

Patrick, Hobie 16 '85
Solo~Right [Re: yoh] #56119
09/14/05 10:41 AM
09/14/05 10:41 AM
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

Is it truly a solo righting device?

Yes, it truly is a device that does indeed allow a single person to right the capsized cat, all by himself.

The moving .gif file in my previous post does not show the device in proper adjustment. It worked anyway, but the outboard end of the stick should be about 3 feet off the water. Parallel with the mast is adequate.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Re: Solo~Righting [Re: hobiegary] #56120
09/14/05 06:22 PM
09/14/05 06:22 PM
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

Here is the H16, P16, P18 style of Solo~Right being used on the hull lip of a Hobie 18. He appears to be righting 'against the wind.'
web page [Linked Image]

Santa Monica Bay
Re: Solo~Right [Re: hobiegary] #56121
09/15/05 09:30 AM
09/15/05 09:30 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Patrick,

Thanks for the details - very helpful! The only point you missed (truly a soloright device?) Gary answered for you. I wasn`t referring to the design, but rather, does the device truly allow a single person to right the boat (obviously - yes).

As for Gary, now that I have you online with this, I think I will again try to pin you down on the comercial venture thing. What`s the story? ...great initial design...did you have liability, copyright or manufacturing problems? Lack of interest?

I was one of those guys looking for the soloright product only to find the cryptic (goodbye) message on your former link/website.

Interested,

Dave

Re: Solo~Right [Re: Captain_Dave] #56122
09/15/05 12:20 PM
09/15/05 12:20 PM
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

As for Gary, now that I have you online with this, I think I will again try to pin you down on the comercial venture thing. What`s the story? ...great initial design...did you have liability, copyright or manufacturing problems? Lack of interest?

Answer: Yes. I am not interested in disgussing it in public, nor in private. Sorry.

I was one of those guys looking for the soloright product only to find the cryptic (goodbye) message on your former link/website.

Interested,

Dave

I appreciate it and appologize for those who missed the boat.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Re: Solo~Right [Re: hobiegary] #56123
09/15/05 12:35 PM
09/15/05 12:35 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Gary,

Thank you for the response - enough said then. Too bad for your situation/troubles - had a suspicion.

In any event, many thanks to you and Patrick for the info. The device is a fine design/idea and I look forward to my own homebuilt version.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 430 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022