October is finally here, and that means cooler weather, Halloween, and, of course, the Annual Fowey Light Distance Race. This will be the 37th running of this beach cat classic. It is our longest running event. After conferring with numerous people, and trying to accommodate as many as possible, the date has been set for Sunday, October 16. I hope this will fit into your plans.

The race has a very simple course. We will start at the Rickenbacker Causeway, and the one and only turning mark will be Fowey Light. Fowey Light is a huge 110 foot tall steel lighthouse that marks Fowey Rocks. It was built in 1878. Don't worry about the rocks, the water is about 20 feet deep as you round the lighthouse. This is the only real "ocean" race that we do, and I request that only experienced crews attempt this race. Your boat needs to be in top shape for this one. The course is approximately 20 miles round trip. We will have an alternative turning mark of Bug Light for the High Portsmouth class. That will allow everyone to finish about the same time. You don't need a GPS or chart for this race. When you round Cape Florida, you will be able to see Fowey on the horizon.

The Fowey Lighthouse has lots of history. There are numerous websites that have many pictures and narratives. Just type Fowey Lighthouse in your search feature and you can read all about it, and see what it looks like if you haven't done the race before.

The crew meeting for the race will be at 10:30, Sunday, October 16. I hope you can work that date into your plans.

John McKnight