04/05/02 02:14 AM
04/05/02 02:14 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hope to see all the Kokokahi members at the Yard Clean Up event this Saturday, April 6th. Bring your weed wackers and mowers. Remember, those who participate, get to move closer to the water it spots are opened.
<br>
<br>Chris

--Advertisement--
Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6019
04/07/02 02:59 AM
04/07/02 02:59 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well we had a great turn out for the clean up today. Then a bit of sailing. I will not be able to race tomorrow. Got a few projects I have to get done this weekend. See you all next week. CL

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6020
04/08/02 02:52 AM
04/08/02 02:52 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I went down to the club to see if any one did go to race today. It was blowin pretty good. Not a cat in sight. What's up?
<br>CL

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6021
04/12/02 02:22 PM
04/12/02 02:22 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Chris,
<br>
<br>It's Ryan here...Sailing On Sat....Hope to see you there...!!!!!!!

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6022
04/12/02 02:28 PM
04/12/02 02:28 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'll try to get John and Peter and Geoff out there toooooooo!!

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6023
04/14/02 12:23 PM
04/14/02 12:23 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Wow, That was an awesome day. 5 cats, with three of us solo. I hope the photos on the sandbar come out good. If you need help patching that hole in you hull, give me a call. Luckily you didnt turn it ove with all that water in side.
<br>
<br>Cant wait till we do it again. CL

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6024
04/15/02 07:25 PM
04/15/02 07:25 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm ready for one of those days every weekend!!! Thanks so much for going to get your gear!!!! What a blast...I just might take you up on the help with the hull. Stand by for more sailing this weekend!!!!!!
<br>Ry

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6025
04/23/02 11:40 AM
04/23/02 11:40 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Any KkSC members going sailind during the week days this week? I am on vacation and will put the 20 in if anyone else is going out. CL

Attached Files
6350-Dsc00185.jpg (817 downloads)
Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6026
05/21/02 10:50 AM
05/21/02 10:50 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Who is planning to attend the KkSC campout-moonlight sail this weekend?

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6027
05/25/02 11:23 AM
05/25/02 11:23 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well today is the day. Campout extravangaza. Who's going? Margaret and I will be there sometime today. After we install some bathroom fixtures. This remodeling stuff is gettin old. Chris L.

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6028
05/31/02 01:49 AM
05/31/02 01:49 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

This weeked is the cleanup again June 1, 2002. Hope to see as many members as possible. The YWCA tractor is DOA so we need all the help we can get with mowers and weed wackers. See ya there.

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6029
06/08/02 11:42 AM
06/08/02 11:42 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

It's Saturday. Weather is looking good. Anyone going out sailing this morning? I am thinking about getting in a couple hours today.
<br>
<br>Chris L

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6030
06/19/02 01:33 AM
06/19/02 01:33 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Wow!!! Those 49'ers a really fun to watch. I went out last Sunday for a couple hours and hung around the bay to see those litte jet boats. It was blowin 20-25 easy. I had three adults and a teen on board, we never even opened the jib. You should have seen those 49ers go with the chutes up. Pretty awesome how the get up onm a plane and the chute lifts the bow so only the last couple feet of the hull is in the water. Looks like a drag boat how they fly. I will try to get out again this weekend to watch again. Hope to see some of you out there. Chris

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6031
07/16/02 02:06 AM
07/16/02 02:06 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The YWCA is hosting "A Day on the Bay" at Kokokahi this Saturday 7/20/02. The festivities will reduce access for sailing club members. If you plan to sail on this day, try to launch before 9am. After that parking and ramp access will become more difficult. Sounds like a fun day at the club with exhibits, food, crafts, music and free water sport activities. Lets all go and have some fun in our own backyard. CL

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6032
07/17/02 01:33 AM
07/17/02 01:33 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

FYI - next Saturday (7/20) is "A Day on the Bay" at the YWCA. Basically this means access will be limited. If you'd like to sail, plan on being at the club no later than 9:00 am. Otherwise, the parking may block your access! The activities should be over by 3:00 pm and cleared out by 4:00-5:00 pm.
<br>
<br>-----Original Message-----
<br>From: Shelly Bermudez [mailto:sbermudez@ywcaoahu.org]
<br>Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 5:29 PM
<br>To: Jmccarron@aighawaii.com
<br>Subject: Kaneohe Celebration 2002: A Day on the Bay
<br>
<br>Aloha John,
<br>
<br>Please forward to all club members as this event will impact the Kokokahi Sailing Club. Club members will need to keep the access road clear of all vehicles so there is a smooth traffic flow. Oliver Owens will be in charge of public parking on the open field.
<br>
<br>We encourage all club members to bring their families and enjoy the day of festivities. Below I have added the details to this event including some volunteer information. Feel free to call me at 247-2124 Ext. 11 with any questions or concerns that you may have.
<br>
<br>In partnership with various organizations, the YWCA will be celebrating the renovations of our facility and 3rd Annual Kaneohe Celebration 2002: A Day on the Bay on July 20, 2002 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at Camp Kokokahi. This event is open all on the island of Oahu. The vision of this event is to bring together the Kaneohe community, to increase awareness of and showcase the assets, resources and services available to the community and to provide fun activities for families in the community. The celebration will include a craft fair, local entertainment, a community resource fair, free sailing and kayaking on Kaneohe Bay, Xtreme Fun rides, petting zoo, pony rides and lots of ono food served in Atherton Hall.
<br>
<br>We are currently seeking volunteers for this event. We are hoping to get 150 volunteers to assist with the following areas:
<br>
<br>1) Event set up and clean up
<br>2) First Aid station
<br>3) Parking and traffic control
<br>4) Stage hands and entertainment assistants
<br>5) Family activities, water sports and extreme fun assistance
<br>6) Hospitality and volunteer room coordinators
<br>7) Event information booth
<br>
<br>Volunteers assisting with set up will need to be at the camp by 7:30 a.m.
<br>We will be providing lunch and a Day on the Bay tee shirt for all volunteers. Thank you letters will also be sent to all volunteers. We encourage volunteers to bring the family so that they may also enjoy the festivities. For volunteer sign up, please call Rowena or Bert at the Queen Lili'uokalani Children's Center: 235-7613
<br>
<br>Mahalo for your support!
<br>
<br>Shelly Bermudez
<br>YWCA of O'ahu
<br>Camp Kokokahi
<br>45-035 Kaneohe Bay Drive
<br>Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744
<br>(808)247-2124 ext. 11
<br>www.ywcaoahu.org
<br>

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6033
09/30/02 01:13 AM
09/30/02 01:13 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The KKsC annual catamaran regatta will be held on Oct 5th. This will be a fun event with out of the ordinary events such as Hull Flying Contests, some racing, and lunch to follow on the sandbar. Classes will include Hobie 20-18-16 and open catamaran class for all others. Participation will dictate how many separate classes can be run.
<br>
<br>Oct 5th is also the Yard Clean Up day which will begin early in order to finish up with time to stage the regatta around noon.
<br>
<br>Hope to see you all there. CL

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News #6034
05/31/07 03:46 AM
05/31/07 03:46 AM
P
Peter_Capotosto Offline
stranger
Peter_Capotosto  Offline
stranger
P

I'm not sure how to subscribe to the kokokahi sailing news.
Chris?
can you send me an email?
peter@sailing.org.ph
www.tlyc.com
Thanks,
Peter Capotosto
P.S. I have a writeup on my "First Kokokahi adventure"
:-)

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News [Re: Peter_Capotosto] #6035
06/02/07 11:07 PM
06/02/07 11:07 PM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline
ChrisMargaret  Offline

Hawaii
Aloha all, 

Well another fantastic event for the KSC group.  A very big thank you is in order for Captain Howie, our outward-bound leader, who always is an inspiration to us all when it comes to getting out and exploring with our cats and our friends. Howie secured the camping permits for this busy weekend from the DLNR office downtown.
Click this link (or cut and paste it into your browser) to see the Kokokahi Kahana Bay Camp Over Photo Album: http://homepage.mac.com/chrismargaret/PhotoAlbum9.html

Seven boats started the adventure and six made it to Kahana bay.  The list of participants included:
1. Chris Laletin &amp; Jiah
2. Wiltz and Peter
3. Graceson and Kinyata
4. Dan Jenkins and Andrea
5. Paul McKimmy and crew
6. Mark McKenney and Connor
7. Cap’n Howie with Katrina and Jess

Only three mishaps on the event. First was Mark and Connor flipped while heading out by Chinaman’s hat. Greceson assisted and his crew Kinyata jumped in to help they right the FX-1. And our beloved wild man himself Wiltz was the second: Wiltz.  Wiltz and I were racing down wind offshore of Kualoa ranch when Wiltz's crew's trap line snapped, and he was handling the mainsheet while Wiltz steered.  Peter’s only connection to the boat was the mainsheet so he hung on causing the sail to tighten up as he was dragged along.  This was compounded by the fact that Wiltz boat has Lee helm so the boat carved off the wind and, as you would expect, up and over the Prindle went tossing Wiltz into the ocean to join his crew.  The wind was strong and the cat quickly was pushed over into the turtle position.  Wiltz and his crew's gallant efforts could not right the boat as it blew towards the reef and rolling breakers.  Realizing the inevitable, Wiltz pulled a side-stay pin and released the mast to avoid it smashing into the reef as the boat neared shallow water.  Chris and Howie were standing by but unable to offer any assistance as the situation grew dangerous with the approaching reef.  It was a group decision to contact the Coast Guard and report the situation.  The chopper responded along with an RIB and they plucked Wiltz and his crew from the worsening conditions as the cat approached the rollers.

Wiltz and his crew Peter were very lucky to avoid any injury and the cat sustained a broken dolphin striker and shredded mainsail.  Pretty minor considering the gravity of the situation.  A big Mahalo goes to the fire department that responded and they even carried Wiltz's boat across the highway and put it on the front lawn so it could be retrieved by trailer.  We did not get any photos of the mishap to share with you. His Prindle is already back at the club in its normal spot and will wait for replacement parts. Luckily, Wiltz has a nice H16 to use while waiting for the parts.

Then once all was safe and all the other boat secure on the beach, onto the camp-sight and party.  Several other folks that did not sail down did join in the Kahana location with some sleeping over and others not. Chuck and Mimi brought lots of beverages and we tried hard to consume them all but were unsuccessful. Margaret will bring these to the next club clean up. Howie, our outward bound team leader, designated Graceson as the premier fire starter and he lived up to the task marvelously. Everyone participated and contributed to the dinner fixins and we had everything from Kuhuku corn on the barbie to bratwurst and sauerkraut. My vote for best meal goes to Mark and Connor as they prepared a five star stir-fry pretty enough for a magazine cover. We all got a big kick out of Dan and Andrea because they were testing their new ultra light mini stove, preparing for a Molokai run with Howie, and even though this stove was pretty high tech, their diner wasn’t ready until long after we all had moved onto serious beverage consumption around the fire.

Sunrise came early and Team outward-bound, Howie, was first up and rearing to go. The rest of us struggled to shake off the foggy hangovers and start another fantastic day. Sunrise was picture perfect as you will see when viewing the photo album page. Margaret, our awesome road crew and photo journalist for the event, arrived early with the truck and assisted everyone get their stuff loaded to be transported back to the club. It sure is nice having all your camping stuff delivered and returned. Another big thanks to Margaret.

Howie along with Paul was first to shove off on the two Getaways. Mark (FX-1) and I (H-20) were the next pair off. The wind was perfect and was coming pretty straight into the bay so it was a pinch to get out. Mark had to tack a few times. We ran very far out lining up for a single tack upwind toward Kaneohe. We both tacked over and began the slog upwind into the big seas. Katrina and I (H-20) continued to distance Mark and Connor for quite some time. Actually, when we were ready to head into Chinaman’s hat, we felt that Mark was so far back that he must have problems so we headed back all the way to the Kahana bay entrance to find that Marks had broken a shackle that connects the traveler to the mainsheet so he was unable to sail at all. As a well prepared sailor, he had spares and performed the repair out there in the big seas and off we went towards Kaneohe. We arrived just in time to watch the start of leg two of the Round-the-island regatta that was beginning at the inside mark at Chinaman’s hat. Ted, Peter, and Web were on the Reynolds 33 and looking like they ware going to have a fun day. Greceson and Dan were last to head out. They were greeted by a school of dolphins that circled their boats while they sailed to Secret Beach and continued to party with homemade Bloody Mary's. I picked up Margaret at the club, we sailed back down to Secret beach join them for a bit.

All in all, this was a very exciting and enjoyable trip for everyone, even Wiltz. Looking back on the events there are several very important items all of our sailors must think about every time you leave the beach for a sail. And this doesn’t really matter if you are staying inside or going outside. Obviously, going outside presents far greater risk as Wiltz will tell you.

Always inspect your rigging including the trapeze hardware. A 50 cent piece of rope that parted in Wiltz trap wire was the cause for his several thousand dollar catamaran repairs. Not to mention that the rescue department was sure to inform Wiltz that their efforts with a helicopter, a dozen men, and two boats cost the taxpayers many thousands of dollars. All for a 50 cent piece of rope.
The VHF radios did not work to contact the coast guard. We were more than 5 miles from their nearest base so our little antennas would not put out enough signal for them to hear us. I used my cell phone to contact 911 and get connected to the coast guard. The dry pack I keep my VHF and cell phone in will keep them dry but in the noise of the wind and waves, I had to remove them from their secure pouches to be able to hear well enough to communicate. Make sure you turn the volume up to its fullest on your cell phone before putting it into the pouch. My VHF is waterproof and well worth the extra dollars for this feature.
Your emergency equipment, radios, phones, spare parts should not be stored inside your hulls in the port and cat bag. Once Wiltz boat was turtle, he was unable to get to these items. They were totally useless to him. You must keep your most important items in your life jacket. I keep my cell phone in the dry pouch in my breast pocket of my jacket. If I lose my boat, and I am alone in the water, I have my phone with me. Remember, you can be pitched from you boat and it can blow away from you faster that you can swim.
We practice the buddy system for these off shore club events for obvious reasons. Both Mark and Wiltz tip over’s were assisted by fellow club members. In hindsight on my return trip, I should have stayed closer to Mark and not allowed such a span form between us. Once Wiltz boat was turtle, it only took a short distance to loose sight of his hulls in the swells. Had Mark turned over, I was too far away to assist or relocate him.
Mark carried spare parts, shackles, which allowed him to make the necessary repairs while at sea. It is the simplest items that work loose or unscrew at the worst times. Mark had several spares which was fortunate because he did drop the first one overboard in the rough seas and had to use his second spare.
Tune your boat properly. Wiltz was aware that his steering was “lee helm” and he chose to sail with this dangerous tuning rather than correct it. When you drop your tiller, your boat should begin to head up into the wind. It should NOT bear off down wind. Should you fall off, if your boat bears up, eventually it will come into irons and stall. If it bears away, it will pick up speed and likely flip when it gets broadside to the wind and by then it will be far out of reach.
During Wiltz rescue, Howie and I remained close by for over an hour flogging in the big seas. Howie had two crew on board and both got seasick. I had Jiah on board, and she had not eaten breakfast resulting in very low reserves and she quickly became very cold even with her wetsuit on. Hypothermia is quick to set in even in the warm conditions of the day. Once this happens, you can not rely on your crew to be at their best. Had I had a tip over with Jiah so cold, I wonder if we would have been able to perform well enough to right the boat. Always fuel you body before adventuring off shore. I will start to carry energy bars on board for emergencies.
Last but not least, all of you should perform emergency procedures under controlled conditions. By this I mean, flip your boat in a safe place with assistance near by, use your righting systems to make sure they work the way you expect and fix them if they don’t. My suggestion is to have your righting lines (I use two) in place and ready to deploy without having to tie or untie any knots. I strongly recommend having two righting lines, one for the skipper and one for the crew. Sharing a righting line is not realistic in the rough seas we observed. If you don’t have a float on your mast, you really ought to turtle your boat to see if you are able to right it.

Oh, and the good lessons..........
Bring plenty of food and beverage and be ready for a really great time. It doesn’t get any better than this.

CL
Vice Commodore
--

==================================================
Chris Laletin, Vice Commodore
PO Box 2823
Aiea, HI 96701

Hawaii email: laletinc001@hawaii.rr.com
Photo Album Web Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/chrismargaret/

Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News [Re: ChrisMargaret] #6036
03/22/08 11:07 AM
03/22/08 11:07 AM
Hawaii, USA
KSC_VC Offline
stranger
KSC_VC  Offline
stranger

Hawaii, USA
SECRET BEACH RUN March 16th review.

Seven boats joined in the fun run to Secret Beach last weekend. This was the event that was supposed to be an off shore run to Kahana Bay and back. The forecast was for 20+ so for safety reasons we elected to cancel the KB run and head for Secret Beach .

The weather man was right: it was blowing hard. We all shot off the beach from the club around 11am in brisk beam reaching to Coconut Island. Dan Jenkins on his Getaway decided to take the offshore route outside the sandbar and said the trip was fantastic. Every one else stayed inside the sandbar and did a screaming broad reach all the way down. Capt. Howie clocked 22 on his GPS on Wiltz's Prindle 18.2.

Crossing the deep water channel at the far end of the sandbar was full speed ahead through the swells while dodging lots of giant turtles that float around down there. Then it was a down wind sprint cross the shoals to the point of Secret Beach. Once you round the point into the calm of the bay you can scoot your cat up on the beach. Every one brought some lunch or snacks and we stayed on the beach for an hour or so doing what we do best; talking story over some good food and beverage with our buddies.

Departing SB was a a beat straight upwind in the narrow channel so we all had to make about six tack before we could round the mark and head up towards the sandbar. We all saw a pair of giant turtles mating right there in the channel. I guess that is really doing "the wild thing". The channel crossing was a sleigh ride in the swells and high winds and everyone was racing to see who could be first back to the club. What a fantastic full speed run all the way. Margaret was trapped out with her rear foot in the stirrup on the back corner of our M20 so you can imagine the power we were pushing down wind crossing the channel. And no one tipped over, not even Wiltz. :-)

So if you missed this RTB event, shame on you. But we hope to see you for the next organized outing. Watch your emails and I will keep you posted. Ah hui ho.
Chris Laletin

Attached Files

Chris Laletin Vice Commodore Kokokahi Sailing Club Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii, USA
Re: Kokokahi Sailing Club News [Re: KSC_VC] #6037
04/20/08 09:02 PM
04/20/08 09:02 PM
Kaneohe Bay
D
Dray Offline
journeyman
Dray  Offline
journeyman
D

Kaneohe Bay
Aloha Kokokahi Sailing members,
If you haven't been down to the club in the last two weeks you will notice much more room! Why? Because the "big cat" has finally left the yard!!!
See you down at the club as soon as I get a new/used Comptip.
Dan'o

Attached Files
142863-HPIM0008.JPG (767 downloads)

NACRA Dealer
NACRA Infusion "sailing"
Hobie Tiger "sold"
Hobie 20 "sold"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 451 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022