North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Introduction :
<br>
<br>The F16 HT class is a class that will regulate both 2-up and 1-up sailing. Both with a genaker setup. This setup has to be carried wether you'll use it or not. Just as with the F18 and iF20 classes.
<br>
<br>Question one :
<br>
<br>Should the F16 HT also regulate a 1-up (solo) cat rigged configuration without the genaker ? Just as it would be an A-class ?
<br>
<br>Question two :
<br>
<br>Should the F16 HT also regulate a 2-up cat rigged with genaker configuration without the jib ? Just as the BIM 16 class and F18 HT class are setup right now ?
<br>
<br>
<br>Please respect with "yes" and "no" in the subject line like "1:yes, 2:no". And ofcourse in the post itself the reasons why ?
<br>
<br>Many thanks<br><br>

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
--Advertisement--
Re: 1: No, 2: No- KISS to start! [Re: Wouter] #674
07/12/01 08:39 PM
07/12/01 08:39 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Wouter-
<br>I think this project is daunting enough as it is now (trying to get the boats equal with one or two sailors) so what I prefer is we start w/ some more or less standardized "configuration" for uni and sloop. Since we are supposed to be "High Tech" and right now that involves spinnakers I think these should be included (plus they raise the level of interest in the class and separate us from the "A" class) in BOTH "configurations" but leaving the jib off the sloop removes one of the simplest/cheapest ways of "equalizing" boats and (IMO) will eliminate many of the current designs or make expensive "upgrades" of taller masts/new mainsails for the same designs necessary to be competitive.
<br>At the same time, I think without a jib it would be more "High Tech" and certainly "simpler" and perhaps cheaper (as new), but I don't see how the same boat, with the same mast, mainsail, and spi can be equally fast with one OR two (normal sized) persons aboard in the same conditions.
<br>So how would you equalize this then?
<br>
<br>Kirt<br><br>Kirt Simmons
<br>Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48

Attached Files
667- (220 downloads)

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48
No; No ; I agree with Kirt on this [Re: Wouter] #675
07/13/01 03:43 AM
07/13/01 03:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It took a while to figure out how to logon anonimously but now I got here it looks good and I can remain anonimous.
<br>
<br>My reasoning :
<br>
<br>; Should the F16 HT also regulate a 1-up (solo) ? NO
<br>
<br>The A-cat class is the class for that and Kirt is right. It will be too much work, too expensive and too unkind to the grandfathered boats.
<br>
<br>; Should the F16 HT also regulate a 2-up cat rigged with genaker configuration without the jib ? NO !
<br>
<br>Great attraction of class will be the boat handling just like with the 18 foot skiffs. The jib handling is part of this. Now the race will be less on design and more on skill. Furthermore I feel that the jib might well be a aerodynamic bad thing but it still makes the boat faster. And also the equality to F18's is lost when loosing the jib and that is of interest to me for I'm at a F18 dominated club in EU.
<br>
<br>Still, rules don't forbid these setups, anyone can organize a race like this personally using the F16 HT designs. Still I'm not interested in that.
<br>
<br>Anonimous4<br><br>

Re: No ???? [Re: Wouter] #676
07/13/01 01:39 PM
07/13/01 01:39 PM
P
phill Offline

veteran
phill  Offline

veteran
P

My original answer was going to be No , Yes but after reading Kirts response I 'm not so sure.
<br>(To get things going we need focus and this means initially limiting some options.) As Kirt said the jib is a simple and relatively inexpensive way of evening ratings out.
<br>I supose my main concern initially isfor the BIMs, I'd really like to see them involved in both one up and two up.
<br> Can they take a jib? <br><br>

Attached Files
683- (212 downloads)

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!

"NO" on the first and "NO" on the second [Re: phill] #677
07/13/01 08:52 PM
07/13/01 08:52 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
I agree with anonimous4 for the most part. I'm at a F18 dominated club too. Actually it is the same club but Hey ! "Keep It Simple Stupid" by Kirt is also a good reason.
<br>
<br>I also feel that a jib boat will be faster than a cat rigged one the 2-up catrigged F18 HT boats have much higher masts and mainsail area to compensate for this. I agree with Petrucci (BIM F18 HT) and Marstrom (M20) that the jib area is better put in the mainsail but I don't see the merrit of just leaving it off in the F16 HT. I would like to see the International Tornado setup in the F16 HT. A long luff jib (high aspect) going down to the genaker pole and a less wide platform due to a smaller mast.
<br>
<br>I think that we need to ask Petrucci to give his views. I sure would like to see the Bim 16 in the 2-up fleet too. I'm sure he can build the BIM 16 strong enough in the bows to take a bridle foil and jib. I just hope he wants to do so too. Only he can confirm if the bridle foil option is acceptable on a unmodified BIM 16.
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br><br><br>

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 394 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022