Forum Index |  Albums |  Classified Ads |  Catamarans For Sale |  Calendar |  Submit Events
Announcements
New Discussions
Adding a Jib to a Mossie
by Gary Fleming. 12/07/17 11:29 PM
F101 finally in production
by Jake. 12/05/17 06:49 PM
Tradewinds Regatta?
by samc99us. 12/05/17 04:30 PM
Easy way to really learn the Racing Rules
by Mike Fahle. 11/28/17 07:30 AM
Dynema trap lines diameter?
by mmadge. 11/25/17 08:10 AM
foiling chasing UFO
by northsea junkie. 11/23/17 03:12 AM
New Mystere 4.3 in Central Florida
by Mike Fahle. 11/22/17 04:46 PM
36th America's Cup
by waterbug_wpb. 11/21/17 12:10 PM
Fatality During Clipper Race
by Redtwin. 11/20/17 07:56 AM
--Advertisement--
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#8313 - 06/27/02 10:03 PM Brian and Jamie got lucky?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that the last worrell 1000 is over, I can not help but respond to some who have mistakenly posted on this forum that some how luck was involved in TEAM ALAXANDERS repeat win. As a corporate sponser of Hans Mejer and TEAM POMODORO for three years, I always accepted our defeats graciously. When Pomodoro withdrew their sponsership and our team became TEAM ALEXANDERS it changed very little except for our sailors Brian and Jamie. Our small, relatively poor finicial contributions remained about the same. Beetle Bailey remained our team manager, my brother in law Richard Senn remained on the support crew. Little else has changed over the years. I would like to remind all enthuisiast and cat sailors that have been posting their opinons as to why Brian and Jamie now hold the fastest time ever in the Worrell 1000 "lucked into it", to please also post your reason why they also hold the record for the SLOWEST time WIN in any worrell 1000 race ever. Certainly luck can indeed both promote and hinder great catameran sailors. Equipment failures in and around Hatteras as was the case for two years running for TEAM POMODORO prove that. But let me state my humble opinion to you now that winning the worrell 1000 with both the fastest and slowest time ever recorded by the same team is not luck. It is because of the caliber of Brian and Jamie.

-- Have You Seen This? --
#8314 - 07/02/02 09:36 AM Re: Brian and Jamie got lucky?  
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I agree with your thinking on that. Putting a team together for an event like the Worrell is a monumental task, but KEEPING one through thick and thin for several seasons is what truely places one above the rank-and-file weekend warriors.

Jamie and Brian are very accomplished sailors, but as many involved with the VOR and other large races know, great sailors don't necessarily win races, great TEAMS do. Team Illbruck, training together for years prior to VOR have shown that talent, time, technology, and teamwork are the components for success.

If I recall correctly, Alexander's only won that last leg, which combined with the fact that less than a minute separated several top teams after nearly 700 miles of racing, shows that this event is really drawing talent. While being on the edge of my chair from start to finish, I feel that consistency certainly won this year's event, and will continue to win other multi-day events. Luck may win a race, but rarely wins a regatta... especially this one.

Congrats to Alexander's on a well sailed race, but don't forget to watch your #ss next year! ;-)

Jay

#8315 - 07/08/02 12:08 AM If it weren't for bad luck.... [Re: waterbug_wpb]  
Will_R Offline
old hand
Will_R  Offline
old hand

Home is where the harness is.....
.......I'd have no luck at all!

I've got to say that Brian and Jamie are both two of the greatest guys I know! Beyond that their sailing abilites and TEAM WORK are matched by few teams anywhere.

In a race like the Worrell, you have good days (nothing breaks and you're on the right side of the shift) and you have bad days... You flip four times in one leg and break you tiller extension during the first 15 miles (yeah, did that on the way to Wrightsville). Or, it could be worse.... the whole reason I ended up sailing was because Chris had a trap handle break while he was doing ~20 mph double trapped with the main sheet wrapped around his hand. To make that even worse, Jim did not get the board up or spin down and it cost them the leg win and record time, which team Castrol, only 90 seconds behind was able to sneak in and get. Chris damaged his hand so severly that there was no way he could continue and I ended up sailing.

As tight as the fleet was this year, one little mistake could make or break the race for you. I know that TA had more than their fair share of bad luck. On the way to Wrightsville beach, they also flipped early on and broke thier carbon fiber tiller extension, HOWEVER they weren't as lucky as we were. I was able to tape the extension back together and keep Jim and myself out on the wire, while Brian was stuck on the boat. So if you saw the conditions that day... with only Jamies little butt out on the wire, they were HURTING.

So, that's just part of the bad luck...but remember every coin has two sides.... Now the way I see it, there are VERY few people that I feel comfortable going out with when it's blowing 40+ Brian is one of those guys... and in all honesty...I don't know anybody else who can push as hard or sail in the really big stuff like he can. That day when we left the beach, we all knew that a storm was on the way and it was blowing 25-30 at the time...not 100% about that speed. When you hit the beach it's not so much about the wind speed as it is you have a job to do. When the storm hit, it was blowing ~60+ according to the weather info we heard latter. Some teams were in the right place when it hit. We were ~1mile offshore and soon took the full force of the storm...put that in the "it's a bad thing" column.

Brian and Jamie hit the shore like several other teams did. They took their jib down, waited for 15 min or so and took back off. What was the big factor was how long you waited on the beach. Brian and Jamie did what they're good at. They pushed the boat as hard as it would go till they got to the finish. Oh yeah, remember they didn't win that leg.... S. Africans did.

Lucky??... well they got their kind of conditions when it mattered most.... BUT... they had not had condtions that really favored them the previous 12 legs. However considering the event and teams they were sailing against, skill plays the biggest part. A blind squirl my find a bannana or something like that every now and again, but not not 1000 times in a row. Castrol and Tybee both deserved to win that race... but who is to say that TA didn't? Yeah, the story was that Castrol and Tybee were only one second appart, but TA was only 15 min back. Not a big difference in over 900 miles of sailing, and by no means a safe time difference when you have 60 tough miles to sail.

1 Alexander's on the Bay 71:32:55 00:00:00

2 Tybee Island 71:34:37 00:01:42

3 Castrol 72:26:51 00:53:56

4 Tommy Bahama 72:41:44 01:08:49

Brian and I have talked about the race quite a bit since VA Beach... One thing he said was, "Man, we went out just wanting to keep the boat upright... winning was never really a thought" Remember the two teams they were up against are also VERY good. Tybee and Castrol had controll....but... I don't know those guys as well as I do Brian, so I have no idea what their day was like. For all I know they flipped a thousand times.... But there is no questioning the skill that those two teams have on board. Remember the top six boats broke Randy's record!

One trend is very evident in the whole thing....sh*t happens... some times it's good... some times bad. But through and through you see the same teams emerge. So sailing is as it always was and will be, a game of skill, desire, heart and luck...both good and bad. So I think I'll keep rolling the dice, keep sailing and enjoy every second of it that I can.

Sorry it was a little long....

Will R

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 300 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NilsonPardal, corrinezhan, pussycatcatman, Shotsailor, PointDume
7726 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Jake 6
Timbo 3
P.M. 2
Forum Statistics
Forums27
Topics22,268
Posts266,191