07/20/01 10:48 AM
07/20/01 10:48 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I've only been out a few times since February, when I got the Prindle 16, but I've tried to pay attention and look for the "easy way out" from the beach to some decent water.
<br>
<br>I usually launch around the second driveway away from Honeymoom Island. There are fewer (relatively) rocks on the bottom. I've been there when I swear you could walk to Caladesi Island.
<br>
<br>My latest strategy was to sneak thru a small break between the flats in front of the concession area and the sandbar directly off the beach. There are a couple of channel markers that can help you find the deeper water. At that point, depending on the wind, you can go west to head for the gulf or east to head back to the ICW area.
<br>
<br>You can sneak down towards the Honeymoon Island bridge, avoiding the fishing lines, and use that channel to head out. Of course all this depends on the wind.
<br>
<br>Anywhere outside the channel has the potential to get shallow real fast. Even sneaking out to the Gulf can get interesting since the channel is narrow and the points from Caladesi and Honeymoon reach a good ways out.
<br>
<br>Heck, they it isn't named Hurrican Pass for nothing.
<br>
<br>Just for information sake: The Clearwater Harbormaster is open to sailers using the Sand Key city beach (north of the Clearwater Sailing Center). If they take the NO BOATS WILL BE LAUNCHED or RETRIEVED signs down and replace them with NO MOTORIZED CRAFT I'd use it in a hearbeat. Ready access to the Gulf via Clearwater Pass and the bay area between Clearwater Memorial Causeway and Bellair Causeway would make it pretty near ideal. Lots less rocky bottom and a really nice beach for the rest of the family.
<br>
<br>I like Dunedin Causeway because of the laid back feeling but I'd sure like to try Sand Key city beach for the other access.
<br>
<br>I'm hoping to try out launching from the Sailing Center tomorrow, Saturday, and maybe "race" in the Windjammers summer races. No fee to race or launch with skipper's meeting at 2pm. Guess I'll check the weather and see if I can avoid the forecast 70 percent chance of storms.<br><br>

Attached Files
846- (228 downloads)
--Advertisement--
Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway #906
07/24/01 08:24 AM
07/24/01 08:24 AM
Tampa, FL
dave taylor Offline
dave taylor  Offline

Tampa, FL
david - did you ever make it out to the clearwater sailing center? how is it? it the water deeper that dunedin causeway? many jet skis and power boats?<br><br>

Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway [Re: dave taylor] #907
07/24/01 09:53 AM
07/24/01 09:53 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I didn't get out this weekend -- weather and I injured my lower back on Wednesday and it was still a bit tender.
<br>
<br>I get out to the Sailing Center 4-5 times a month for meetings and so forth. Windjammers Sailing Club has "fleet" racing on Saturdays during the summer -- Skipper's meeting about 2pm, racing starts about 3.
<br>
<br>The water is still thin but the Sailing Center has two ramps and the bottom is sand -- very few rock. There is a grass flat directly off the beach but I never had a problem scooting across into some deeper water. The beach at the center is nice and sandy.
<br>
<br>Hope springs eternal and I'll try again this weekend at the Sailing Center. They supposedly charge for launching but last I heard nobody was collecting. If you get out there Saturday when the Windjammers are out you certainly wouldn't have any problems.
<br>
<br>By the way -- the summer series is "fun" racing -- no fees, we do have marks and a committee boat so the racing is low key but organized.
<br>
<br>We're (Windjammers) are trying to get things livened up with more boats. There are several catamaran owners in the club such as Barb & Chip Short - I20, myself (Prindle 16), JJ Jenright (G-cat currently with busted hulls), and there are quite a few cats stored at the Sailing Center. Robbie Daniels shows up pretty often with the Tornado and possibly the Marstrom 20.
<br>
<br>Like I said: I'm hoping to be out there on Saturday and possibly Sunday afternoon, weather and family obligations permitting.
<br>
<br>David<br><br>

Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway [Re: dave taylor] #908
07/24/01 11:44 AM
07/24/01 11:44 AM
Key Largo
barbshort Offline
enthusiast
barbshort  Offline
enthusiast

Key Largo
once you're off the beach there's plenty of deep water off the sailing center. when buoy racing out there we can run boards full down on the I-20. sometimes i get nervous if it's a really low tide, but we haven't run aground.
<br>
<br>the "traffic" on the water south of the pass in the bay is usually light to moderate, except on holiday weekends when it's heavy everywhere. the pass is usually busy on weekends, but that's never stopped us from heading out in the gulf. the pass is big/wide and very deep. the bridge is high enough with enough water under it that you can pass through almost any span.
<br>
<br>depending on how adventurous you are, you can beach right near leverocks and run up to the tiki bar, and, there's also shepard's on the pass and their infamous tiki bar. it's a little trickier trying to get up to beach near shepard's since there is always a large herd of anchored power boats just off the beach, but it can be done.
<br>
<br>best way to see if you like it is to come on down and launch off here a couple of times. <br><br>

Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway [Re: barbshort] #909
07/24/01 11:52 AM
07/24/01 11:52 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi Barb;
<br>
<br>Wondered if you'd find this board. Looks like it may be a way to get the word out about sailing in Clearwater and maybe specifically get some more cat sailors interested in Windjammers and the Sailing Center.
<br>
<br>David<br><br>

Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway #910
07/24/01 02:53 PM
07/24/01 02:53 PM
Key Largo
barbshort Offline
enthusiast
barbshort  Offline
enthusiast

Key Largo
yes, actually i've known about it since rick created the old version of if a long time ago at my request. i just don't always get to all the forums frequently. i try to peruse once a week or so. i think this new version/new software rick is using is much better than the old stuff. glad to see folks are interested in using this forum and i agree with you that it's a great way to communicate.<br><br>

Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway #911
07/24/01 03:51 PM
07/24/01 03:51 PM
Palm Harbor, FL, USA
L
Lance Offline
enthusiast
Lance  Offline
enthusiast
L

Palm Harbor, FL, USA
I've been lurking down at the causeway since March and would definetaly like to check out the WindJammers Club as well. We went down to the sailing Center to see about lessons for our two oldest girls but just couldn't swing it this year. I'm looking at another month or two before I get my TheMightyHobie18 Magnum worthy enough to put her in. She needs a wing tramp and some other safety gear.
<br>How hard is it to navigate under the bridge under sail?<br><br>Lance
<br>Hobie 18 Magnum
<br>St. Petersburg FL

Lance
Taipan 5.7 USA 182
Palm Harbor, FL
Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway [Re: Lance] #912
07/24/01 08:37 PM
07/24/01 08:37 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (duh!) but -- if it's a fixed span like at Clearwater Pass, depending on the wind, it shouldn't be that big a deal. However, if it's a draw bridge I believe it's state law that you have to be under power (or towed).
<br>
<br>At least that's what I've been told.
<br>
<br>David<br><br>

Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway #913
07/25/01 03:00 PM
07/25/01 03:00 PM
Palm Harbor, FL, USA
L
Lance Offline
enthusiast
Lance  Offline
enthusiast
L

Palm Harbor, FL, USA
Yeah the new span is fixed. I just haven't had much experience going under bridges yet.
<br>Thx<br><br>Lance
<br>Hobie 18 Magnum
<br>St. Petersburg FL

Lance
Taipan 5.7 USA 182
Palm Harbor, FL
Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway [Re: Lance] #914
08/12/01 10:22 AM
08/12/01 10:22 AM
Key Largo
barbshort Offline
enthusiast
barbshort  Offline
enthusiast

Key Largo
lance,
<br>
<br>you should have no problem with the bridge. we've been sailing in and out of it for at least 5 years with our various 18s, including the magnum version. the wind gets a little swirly as you pass the big pilings, so just expect a little weirdness to the wind and press on through it.<br><br>

Attached Files
1556- (230 downloads)
Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway #915
08/18/01 10:32 AM
08/18/01 10:32 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I haven't been sailing in clearwater yet so I was wondering if any of you could let me know of some nice places to beach launch my Hobie 16. I really want to get out to clearwater beach if possible. If you know any easy ways to get there, as far a driving directions, without too much traffic that would be great. Right now I'm going to Fort DeSoto but it's getting a bit old. Thanks for your help. Also does anyone know what happened to the tbcs website. I cant acces it anymore. Is there a new address or is it down? thanks. Bryant<br><br>

Attached Files
1739- (224 downloads)
Re: Thin water at Dunedin Causeway #916
08/20/01 11:57 AM
08/20/01 11:57 AM
Key Largo
barbshort Offline
enthusiast
barbshort  Offline
enthusiast

Key Largo
The only place to launch in Clearwater is at the Sand Key Sailing Center, which is a city facility. It's very nice and convenient with quick access to the gulf of mexico for cruising along the beaches. Don't plan on beaching on Clearwater Beach, though, as that will get you a big ticket and a big fine. You can beach your boat north of the last piling indicating the swimming zone, but there's nothing up there except private homes. You can beach on Caladesi if you like and then there's Honeymoon Island a little farther.
<br>
<br>You can also sail around in the bay right off the sailing center and don't have to go out in the gulf. there's a small fee for launching, a few bucks, and if you want to sail on consecutive days you can also pay a small overnight fee and leave your boat set up in the security of a locked yard.
<br>
<br>there also are showers and bathrooms you can use in the building.
<br>
<br>the sailing center is located at 1000 gulf blvd in clearwater. it's the first facility south of the sand key bridge that connects clearwater beach to sand key. obviously it is on the bay side of the island.
<br>
<br>there's only one north approach and one south approach. if you are coming from the north head out to clearwater beach, go south along the beach, cross over the sand key bridge, and take your first left into the yard.
<br>
<br>if you're coming from the south you will have to head out to the beaches at some point and drive north along gulf blvd. until you get to the sailing center just before the bridge to clearwater beach.
<br>
<br>post a note when you are coming over this way to go sailing in clearwater and we'll try to meet up with you!<br><br>

Attached Files
1774- (211 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 408 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022