08/17/02 09:32 AM
08/17/02 09:32 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The 18 HT is the way to go -history of the 18 has already proved that the 18 just wasn't fast enough -powered correctly for most NA conditions .The I18 was allowed larger sails to compensate for this .The 18 development was then dumped for the 20 and F18 .Hobie and Mystere at least have the credibility to stand behind their comitments .Performance decided to take 2 steps back and reduce sail and go back to Al masts

did this drop the boat price ~$2000 for the price of Carbon/Al) .It's fine to say we're matching the Eu 18's but "hay" this's North America shouldn't we be trying to improve things ? Technology is to make things easier for us to go faster !? The boats can only go faster by more horsepower -sail area ,weight reduction ,better sails(aerodynamics) right ?Instead of upping the bar ,the intent of North American class associations is to suck in behind inferior tech at a higher cost .The next thing will be wood masts and canvas sails right ?- just cuse that's what the rest are doing ............

-- Have You Seen This? --
What is your intent with that post ? #9632
08/21/02 06:02 AM
08/21/02 06:02 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
>>>The 18 HT is the way to go -history of the 18 has already proved that the 18 just wasn't fast enough -powered correctly for most NA conditions .

(wouter) Does history include Barnegat Regatta ?

>>The 18 development was then dumped for the 20 and F18 .Hobie and Mystere at least have the credibility to stand behind their comitments

The inter 18 maybe but that boat has been around for 7 years already and weren't we talking F18 here. seems nacra is committed to that with their new Nacra F18.

Wanna talk sailarea changes in the F18HT and jav classes ?

Not that I want to but it seems that certain things are noted in one class but not the other !

>>Performance decided to take 2 steps back and reduce sail and go back to Al masts.

Performance went F18 in the US which is commendable. Their is absolutely no point in a special inter 18 class in the us based on platform that was a F18 to begin with but placed outside it by carbon mast change.

>>It's fine to say we're matching the Eu 18's but "hay" this's North America shouldn't we be trying to improve things ?

Be my guest. Even NA won't stop the F18 from going to become the international class after the Tornado and A-cats.

Besides what part of the modern cat sailing scene is US improved ?

>>Technology is to make things easier for us to go faster !? The boats can only go faster by more horsepower -sail area ,weight reduction ,better sails(aerodynamics) right ?

(wouter) You forgot better balance. A single gear car may rule supreme in one set of conditions but may also not do just that in several conditions.

>>Instead of upping the bar ,the intent of North American class associations is to suck in behind inferior tech at a higher cost .

(wouter) what are you calling inferior ? No matter how many times a US F18HT with a champion crew wins over a F18 no F18 is inferior in technology. Both classes use the same layups and technics, only to different ends. None can claim to beat the other under all conditions.

>>The next thing will be wood masts and canvas sails right ?- just cuse that's what the rest are doing ............

Nice post but did you have anything to contribute apart from dissing the F18 class ?

I hope you stick around because the F18 class is now expanding to both the USA and Australia in promising numbers. Their homefront of the EU is HUGE when compared to the other smaller classes like the F18HT. Who do you think is winning "the war" here ?

Now, inclusiveness is the word. You sail F18HT ; great ! Some-one else sails F18's Great ! Lets race D-pn and have fun and respect eachothers classes.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: What is your intent with that post ? [Re: Wouter] #9633
08/21/02 08:31 AM
08/21/02 08:31 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

It seems ever since the HT has been sold in the US, The HT class has been dissing the F-18 class. I believe that the HT class is truely hurting it self with this tactic. If this boat is so great, why doesn't anyone self sell it?

Jim

Re: What is your intent with that post ? #9634
08/26/02 04:11 PM
08/26/02 04:11 PM
Virginia
wfo3 Offline
wfo3  Offline

Virginia
Jim and Wouter,

I would like to start by saying that the poster who started this thread IS NOT a F-18HT owner (at least not in the USA), as I know everyone of them! Our class members all agree that the class and our boats speak for themselves. We do not, as a class speak negatively about other classes. I personally feel that the F-18 class has advantages over a lot of classes. I feel that any type of formula racing, be it F-18, F-16HP or F-18HT is a step in the proper direction.

I enjoyed racing with the I-20s and F-18s this past weekend in Michigan and would like to thank CRAM for the opportunity to do so. Cat Fight 3 was a great event and recommend it to anyone.

Noted and thanks [Re: wfo3] #9635
08/27/02 01:40 AM
08/27/02 01:40 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Congrats with you good result (again !)

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 676 guests, and 105 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022