Catsailor.com

New Race

Posted By: EasyReiter

New Race - 03/22/02 10:02 PM

Any one know what it would take to get a race from corpus christi or padre to Houston started? A mini worrell for the rest of us non professional sailors? Any one interested in sailing it with me over the July 4th weekend to test out the route and the fun level? Maybe call it the Texas Hurricane? or the Texas Americas cup (july 4th). Promote Texas Catamaran racing and Texas hospitality?
Posted By: Andrew

Re: New Race - 03/23/02 01:54 AM

Sounds fun. I have no experience racing offshore, but I'd love to iIf my boat/crew situation works out. Keep me informed! You thinking two days, or one marathon day?
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: New Race - 03/25/02 01:42 PM

Let's keep this idea going. I'd do it if I've time.

I hope you're talking spin equipped boats.

Sounds good!

With cell phones and GPS, and sheet in!

Re: New Race - 03/27/02 04:29 PM

Two days stay in Hotels then camp on the TX city dyke for the last 2 days and race in the wayward winds regata, 4 days of sailing for the price of two what a deal!

Re: New Race - 03/27/02 07:17 PM

Where do you live Marc. Post here or e-mail me.

Thanks,

Todd Bouton

N6.0 w/ I-20spin and snuffer

Re: New Race - 04/02/02 03:38 PM

I live in Houston, I have a crew willing to go with me but she wants another boat for security. We had to call the coast guard for a fellow cat sailor this weekend and It scared her some. What is your email address the ev1.net address gets bounced.

Re: New Race - 04/02/02 03:52 PM

I'm in the Houston/Galveston area also.

Sorry about the e-mail,

ToddSails@houston.rr.com

Todd
Posted By: spinakerjohn

Re: New Race - 04/24/02 03:01 PM

Marc,

How about a round the island race? Start and end at the same place.That's the plan for Ruff Rider 2003. Galveston won't do(St Luis bridge). How about Freeport, Corpus, etc?

John

P-19

Re: New Race - 04/30/02 10:45 PM

It is 200 miles from corpus to the Texas City Dyke (Mapsource) I am planning a stop in the madegorda area about 1/2 way. I am open to suggestions and the only thing I really must have is another boat to sail with for safety. This is a test to see if I am only dreaming about sailing the Worrell. http://web2.airmail.net/mreiter Many races start this way and I would love to start one.

Re: New Race - 05/03/02 07:10 PM

What is wrong with the san luis bridge?

Re: New Race - 05/03/02 07:54 PM

marc,

The San Luis bridge is fairly low. I've known people who have gotten under it..........., by stopping, pulling the boat over and floating the mast head under the bridge, then righting and they were off!

It would be pretty cool to fly a hull under it! Be kinda hard to do unless the wind was just right.

We could make this maneauver part of the race! Tx. City dike, out the channel, sown the island, the bridge, back in west bay, to the dike. I'd be game, when my knee surgery heals.

Todd
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Race - 05/04/02 04:01 AM

Todd:

How long are you out? Going to race 2-Step in am. Maye I will see you down there?

Doug Snell

H17 #007

"Stress Free"

Re: New Race - 05/05/02 08:29 AM

Hey Marc, I saw you were preregistered for the 2-step but since there were no I-20's, I'm thinking you didn't make it. The long course featured DK's ARC-21, Larry's 6.O, and my P-19, all with spin. Waterline length told the story, with about an hour between each pair of boats, or six, seven, and eight hours to complete the 60.4 mile course.

Anyway, sail fast

Re: New Race - 05/06/02 05:27 PM

I needed more practice on the I20 down wind with the spin. It is a really fast boat ( the gps said 30.8 MPH in med wind) Sailed all weekend at the dyke and I am going to South Padre next week to see if I am in shape to sail 5 days in a row.

Re: New Race - 05/22/02 12:40 PM

Have you seen the messages at ruffrider.net? Talking about going clockwise and counterclockwise around the island in 2003 and will have problems either way. Sounds like the St Luis bridge is a minor inconvenience. Looks like someone should promote a race around Galveston. How about it Fleet 8?

Re: New Race - 05/27/02 01:52 PM

I'll be interested if the logistics are workable. I think a one day marathon would attract more boats and be easier to organize.

I don't have a spin (yet). However , keep this info up. I'll make it if possible.

Re: New Race - 05/29/02 02:58 PM

There used to be a race called the "Redfish Reach" that was a race to Redfish and back on the first day and bouy races on sunday. I was hoping to generate interest in a lightweight Worrell type unofficial qualifing race. possibly 3 days over the 4th or on Memorial day. with 40 - 80 mile legs. it might work to go from Freeport to the dyke and then back. (or reversed) maybe call it the Texas Tanker Dodge. [Linked Image] or even Freeport to Kemah (Anyone own a house in Kemah with beach access?)

or the beach side of San luis to the bay side and then to the dyke then to Kemah back to San Luis Anyone want to sail on June 8th and 9th to see how far we can get?

Re: New Race - 05/29/02 03:52 PM

How about a one dayer:

Leave from the dike, where the usual crowd can watch out for our vehicles.

Out the jetties, south to San Luis Pass, under the bridge, back up West bay, under the I-45 causeway (I think we'll clear that one!), and back to the dike. That should take about 7-9 hrs, maybe less. Leave in the am, gets dark at 8:30 now.

Hell, by july 4ish, my knee may be up for it!

Re: New Race - 05/31/02 03:36 PM

I am willing to do that on any weekend anyone wants to go (john?) I have never tried to go under the San Luis but I'll give it a try, I think that there are enough options around galveston bay to create 3 days of great distance races and we may even get the kemah & galveston beach resturants to sponsor some part of it.

Re: New Race - 05/31/02 11:26 PM

Maudlins is much nicer of a place to put in. Besides, there you don't have to have anyone "watch "your vehicle while parked there. Todd, How again do you propose to pass under the SL bridge?

Re: New Race - 06/01/02 12:21 PM

That area is kinda squirly, lots of shoals, and depending on the tides, some pretty serious currents.

Go to shore near the bridge. Intentionally capsize the boat on the bank, much the same as done on land to fix something at the head instead of dropping the mast. Float the boat on it's side and walk it under the bridge, it's only 2 cars wide last time I saw it. Walk the mast back up, as in righting the boat. Sail away.

It's been done.

Todd

Re: New Race - 06/05/02 02:42 PM

I have talked to Scott Kee and am contacting Doug Hughs Re fleet 8 involvement and what it might look like in the houston gulf coast area. My goal is to make it challenging and to see if formula rules can be incorportated and see who shows up.
Posted By: majsteve

Re: New Race - 06/05/02 02:49 PM

Todd

Racing a race where you have to drop the boat over to clear a bridge is not a very good idea. I agree it could be done but, its more like a bottleneck and I think the CG would be all over the event for purposely causing a navigational hazzard.

Other than that, its all good.

Steve

Re: New Race - 06/05/02 03:26 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the concern. However, ever been to the San Luis Pass? The rare occasional OB fishing boat goes under that bridge. It would be no navigational hazard, and the bridge is only two lanes wide, one bridge.

Maybe you could bring on of these F22's?

Todd Bouton

n6.0 + chute and snuff

Re: New Race - 06/05/02 03:59 PM

I'd be willing to try around Galveston on any weekend except July 4th (prior committments). Instead of racing, how about getting 8 to 10 boats or more and support each other. I doubt any one can organized a race in 4 to 8 weeks.

I suggest June 22.

John Howard

512 940-5646

Re: New Race - 06/05/02 05:50 PM

I would tend to agree for a few reasons and that while possible, it might detract from the fun of the race and as a new feature of racing it would have to have rules that would be argued well into next year. [Linked Image]

Re: New Race - 06/05/02 05:54 PM

The race would be next year if the trial run works out this year I am going to sail around galveston this weekend and see who I can get to go with me off the beach.
Posted By: majsteve

Re: New Race - 06/05/02 06:06 PM

Todd,

I have not been to the pass although I have run rough riders quite a few times. I just have nightmares about soeone thinking they can make it and ......... whack!!! Like I said I have not seen the bridge so that may not be an issue.

On the F22. Hope to have one of the designs in prototype form that we can use late this summer. I don't know if it will be in racing form (all new design, one of two that I know of) at that time but, could be interesting. Plans are to take a few of the boats on tour so people can see them.

Right now I think the schedule is for racing to begin in the 2004 season with builders building and teams preparing during 2003. It becomes more of an issue of building enough boats in a period of time for people to sail. The only 22 footer that falls close to the rule is the SC22 and there are not that many of them. The series would love to start with 30-40 boats on the line for the first season growing to a max of 50 on the line. I think this can be done due to the series guarantee to run for three seasons minimum.

Steve

Re: New Race - 06/05/02 07:17 PM

I also like the 22nd. I can't do this weekend. If y'all are up, I'll check with my crew and see.

sail fast

Re: New Race - 06/06/02 07:23 PM

Marc wants me to go this Saturday, 6/8, but in two more weeks, the 22nd, may be a better plan for around Gal. Is. for me also.(Actually for my reconstructed knee). Lets try the 22nd from TX city Dike.

Re: New Race - 06/07/02 08:51 PM

Andrew Marc and Todd;

Sounds like the 22nd is the day. If you're at the Dike this weekend, you should mention the cruise to others. I will email some Houston friends to inform them.

My P-19 will be in Houston Friday night, and at the Dike Saturday at 9:00am.

Re: New Race - 06/08/02 01:34 AM

I know some people that will be at Cat Alley this weekend, and I'll ask them to spread word around as well.

see y'all in a couple weeks

sail fast
Posted By: jgrady

Re: New Race - 06/08/02 06:12 AM

The race sounds good. I have been trying to figure a way to enjoy West Galveston Bay. It has near perfect water to sail on with two exceptions: no beach access other than at the San Luis Pass area and VERY shallow water in the same area. I have fished the Pass many times. Several people drown there every year. Also, the high part of the bridge has long since become a beach and the main channel has moved to where the bridge is lowest. Lots of current, holes, etc. I don't mean to be a killjoy but Freeport to the Dike and back (or vice versa) sounds more feasible. Down the beach and up the ditch/bay. MHO

jgrady

P-19 #1115

Re: New Race - 06/09/02 12:23 PM

The 22nd is looking like the day! This will be a group sail. Everyone responsible for their own, and of course everyone will be there for everyone. I think we should leave around 10:30 sat morn, june 22nd. Lets hope for good conditions and descent wind. It would be nice to have at least 6 boats.

Maybe jgrady can help us find the channels when needed!

Jgrady,

There is a race from west beach, starts at Cat Alley, and goes to the freeport channel bouy and back, all offshore every year called the TX Two Step.

Re: New Race - 06/09/02 04:41 PM

I know of the 2 Step. I finnished right behind you on the 1st one. Umfortunately, I will be out of town that weekend. Let me know how it goes!

Re: New Race - 06/17/02 08:10 PM

I'll be there, as early Saturday as I can, Not sure there is time to make a flag or a trophy But if I get creative in my shop maybe I'll come up with something fun.

Re: New Race - 06/17/02 08:17 PM

We will be a the Dike at 9:30. Last I heard there are 5 to 6 boats. Probably be 10 by the time we leave. Can we plan on leaving by 11:00?

Re: New Race - 06/18/02 03:08 AM

I was hoping to leave around 10:30, 11:00 is good too John.

My tide charts, current flows, etc, tell me it's a better idea to go the Bay first, return offshore. Check it out, we'll talk about the direction Saturday morning. Lets hope for the right range of conditions.

Todd Bouton

N6.0 +

Re: New Race - 06/18/02 05:18 AM

I'll be there; I may even camp at the Dike Friday night.

Posted By: mcole

Re: New Race - 06/18/02 04:49 PM

Ok, guys ya'll talked me into it, actually been talking with Todd about this race/cruise for a few weeks. I'm in with my I-20.

I'll be leaving from the Port Arthur area around 6:30 and at the Dike around 8:30. The start is going to be around 10:30??? See ya'll there.

Keep posting more info for us out-of-towners......

Mike Cole

I-20 #483

Re: New Race - 06/18/02 06:43 PM

I think there's a few things you otta bring:

GPS, if not, %@% it

boat cooler with plenty of water, snacks, seagull food, and BEER

Spinaker, if not, @#$% it

ear to ear grin

Attitude, good ones only accepted

Sun Screen, hat, sunglasses, Did I say BEER?

See ya'll there,

Todd

Re: New Race - 06/18/02 08:10 PM

10:30 sounds good too.

Don't we have to bring a paddle, flares, and throwable if we are in the Gulf?

If you're sailing Saturday, chime in.

Spinakerjohn

P19 #?? w/o spin

Re: New Race - 06/19/02 11:59 AM

The Gulf? ..............The Gulf?

Bring whatever you want.

Todd

Re: New Race - 06/21/02 05:18 PM

Thought you all might be interested in the wind forcast. Should make for a run-down-one-side / beat-up-the-other day around the island.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/US...=WINDcast&prodnav=d1_18&pid=none

Re: New Race - 06/24/02 12:29 PM

Round Galveston was for naught last Saturday.

A great group met in the morn. With the winds not favorable, we decided to sail various places, turned out to be a great day to get some sailing in.

Evolution - 06/24/02 02:17 PM

Ok wind was not good for around the Island and I was late. I apologize for being late and promise to get my priorities straight next time. I had boat problems on one tack and could not keep up. (poss. driver error). NEW IDEA

recreate the Redfish Reach except make the second day another distance race around shell island then to smith point and back. poss better wind conditions given prevailing wind etc. any thoughts?

Re: Evolution - 06/24/02 03:12 PM

Sounds Good
Posted By: Mark Meis

Re: Evolution - 06/24/02 04:35 PM

Marc,

Not good being late when you were the leader. Sailing was fair at best on Saturday. Did you folks note the 3 Water Spouts. They were about 1 mile off my stearn. Keep a close eye on those boys.

Who has the new I-20? I like how they are doing the logos now. I assume this is the boat that purchased from Key Sailing. They were flying the kite pretty good.

Sail for fun.

Saw you boys on TCD but didn't have time to come ashore. New it would be slow ride back to Clear Lake. It was.

Re: Evolution - 06/24/02 04:37 PM

Marc,

Not good being late when you were the leader. Sailing was fair at best on Saturday. Did you folks note the 3 Water Spouts. They were about 1 mile off my stearn. Kept a close eye on those boys.

Who has the new I-20? I like how they are doing the logos now. I assume this is the boat that was purchased from Key Sailing. They were flying the kite pretty good.

Saw you boys on TCD but didn't have time to come ashore. New it would be slow ride back to Clear Lake. It was.

Sail for fun
Posted By: mcole

Re: Evolution - 06/24/02 08:17 PM

Mark,

The new I-20 was me. Thanks for the compliment. Still getting used to the boat though. Its a big jump from my '81 H-18.

I assume that you were the tri that was sailing just off of the dike??? I believe that we flew by you while running with the spin up...

Next time, we'll pull aside and talk....

Regards,

Mike Cole

I-20 #483

Re: Evolution - 06/25/02 01:05 AM

I really enjoy the one-day events; they are a lot easier for me to do nowadays. I work a lot of weekends, and I can get Saturday off a LOT easier than a whole weekend.

thanks

Re: Evolution - 06/25/02 12:52 PM

Mike,

I had an I-20 for several years and they are really fun to sail. Nothing like flying a shute in a stiff breeze, no helm, and speed in the scary zone. I need to catch up with you and Reiter this summer and go for ride. I can crew an I-20 pretty well.

Tris feel docile in low winds because they are big and just cruise but as the breeze picks up they act like a cat on steriods.

Re: Evolution - 06/25/02 03:36 PM

Mark, you can come sail on your old boat any time, I'd love to get a ride on your new one in the fall when the wind picks up again.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums