Catsailor.com

What have you bought that you regret ???

Posted By: bullswan

What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 08:28 PM

This is for fun. Doesn't have to be exclusive to sailing (but it certainly can be). I would like to know about stuff you bought thinking that it would be awesome and found out when it arrived, or you had tried it out, that it was a complete waste of money and time.

This is what made me think of it.. As I am sitting here buying Christmas presents on line and realizing I know nothing about what I am buying.... Last year I bought, for my anniversary, these candles on line. A Whole Bunch of them. My thought was that when my wife slipped into the hotel bathroom I would quick arrange all these candles and light them and be romantic as hell...... I spread them all out while she was in the bathroom but I quickly found out that NONE OF THEM HAD WICKS. They (and I) looked completely stupid when she came out of the bathroom. We did laugh all night but the mood was broken. blush
Posted By: John Williams

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 08:40 PM

I regret buying a full harness some years ago - it was like $130 and I wore it once. It has been sitting in my box ever since. I feel kinda dumb for spending the dough - it was an impulse buy.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 08:43 PM

I regret the full Auto harness I bought for my wife now i switched to the bethwaite system and that harness is not useable.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 09:01 PM

they don't sell a spreader bar with the ball-capture system (instead of the hook)?

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
they don't sell a spreader bar with the ball-capture system (instead of the hook)?

no
Posted By: fin.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 09:13 PM

Radial arm saw. Haven't used it once in twenty years.
Posted By: Jake

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 09:23 PM

I thought they do...this is a replacement to a steel spreader bar:

https://store.catsailor.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=16618

[Linked Image]
Posted By: popeyez7

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 09:31 PM

Stupid marriage license....
But she bought the Divorce... well 1/2 of it anyway

( I made out GOOD in the long run )

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 10:55 PM

Jake the full Auto harness has special ends on the spreader to make it fast adjust and they are part of the harness.
Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by popeyez7
Stupid marriage license....

Yeah...I bought a few of those....they need to raise the price so you think twice before you spend the money. grin

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 11:01 PM

Why is it that a marriage license is the only license you buy that never expires?
Posted By: erice

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 11:06 PM

is there a test for this marriage license?

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 11:08 PM

Just remember 62% of all mariages end up in divorce, 100% of all divorce are started by marriage.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 11:25 PM

I impulse purchased a motorcycle this summer. $6200, I don't really regret buying it, but I wish I had the cash right now. Same with my bedroom set, I spent almost $4k on that, and I built it. About $2500 in material/hardware, and about another $1500 on finishing. It is fricken awesome though, but once again, kinda wish I had the cash right now.

Pete- what kind of radial arm saw?
Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/19/08 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by hobie18rich
Why is it that a marriage license is the only license you buy that never expires?

Right. They should have to be renwed every 4 years. If you let it expire...well C'est la Vie!
Posted By: PTP

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 12:22 AM

I have a very large screecher kit in my basement cut from expensive laminate cloth. Did I mention very large? Did I mention expensive?
don't regret it yet, but give me time....
Posted By: fin.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 12:32 AM

Ryobi portable.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 12:34 AM

ah, never mind. Thought maybe you had some sort of treasure saw, and I might be in Florida in March.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by erice

is there a test for this marriage license?

If there is, I'm going through it right now....and I mean that in the literal sense.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 01:35 AM

Of Course!.... It's all about the income!

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 01:45 AM

I'm 27, all of my friends that are married are either miserable, or on the short track for divorce. When my current girlfriend, (3 years), brings up the subject, I'm at a loss.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 01:50 AM

Hooter, limited wind range. And the Hitachi....(kidding)
Posted By: John Williams

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 01:58 AM

I have a good friend in Texas - before he got married, he and his very cool girlfriend agreed that there was a seven-year expiration on the vows, renewable if they both agreed, no hard feelings. They've been through two renewals and have two gorgeous kids. They still joke about the next renewal coming up... or do they? Wish I'd thought of that - seems to be working out well for them.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 02:02 AM

Don't get me wrong. I Love my wife and would marry her again in a heartbeat.
Posted By: RyanMcHale

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 02:16 AM

Lucky Man, took me 33 years to figure out that I married the wrong one. Still looking for another, anybody know any nice, hot looking sailor chics in Northern California??? Rich, know any good looking hippie chicks from Humboldt that like to sail and are interested in warmer weather??? smile ( And slightly older men!!! 54 but look 45!)

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 02:18 AM

Shame on me, Cat Sailor isn't a dating service!!!!! Must be the adult beverage's fault, I would never say that sober!!! Or would I??? Wait, I sail a Catamaran, yes I would!!!

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 02:23 AM

You sail a Cat When are you sober?
Btw 6 years 4 boats 3 dogs 3 moves and 1 cat.
I'll keep an eye out for the humboldt hippy chick for ya, but I suggest going for the professional Type makes bieng unemployed much nicer.
I haven't worked in 6 years but i got a new f-250, new tiger, and new house in the last 3 years.
Posted By: JJ_

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 02:30 AM

Used to do a lot of measuring of buildings. So bought one of those "sonic" measuring tapes when they first came out. Very sad. (It's still in my tool box but available RIGHT NOW to anyone who will send me a SSAE!)

Also, I have a $300 Cycle Ops for mounting my hybrid bike on its rear axle to elevate it off the floor for that indoor workout that you always wanted! No use yet.

Marriage? I have been addicted to same woman for 25 years, girlfriend and wife.
Posted By: IndyWave

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 03:21 AM

Just remember 62% of all mariages end up in divorce.

And the other 38% end in DEATH!

I bought a hot tub and built a sunroom around it. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, it hardly gets used; it leaks, wastes electricity and requires cleaning and expensive chemicals. To remove it, I'd either have to cut it up or take out a wall.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 03:33 AM

Four years of college tuition for my stepdaughter. She dropped out after 3.75 years to "find" herself.

Find this!

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 03:39 AM

Rich, I only sail sober when I have to, as in Too broke to buy alcohol vs go sailing!!!! Can you find me a Professional type that isn't afraid to PitchPole a Cat, I don't do it as much as I used to, but you never can tell, I always get a little excited when it happens, that glance at sail trim and then, the "How the hell did I get in the water" thought????? If you can find me one sign me up, I want one, hell, I'll take two if they promise to get along. I can cook too!!!!! P.M. Me with address' and phone numbers, we're close enough that if CalTrans insists on chains over Buckhorn Summit I can still get over the hill to meet them!!!!

You sail a Cat When are you sober?
Btw 6 years 4 boats 3 dogs 3 moves and 1 cat.
I'll keep an eye out for the humboldt hippy chick for ya, but I suggest going for the professional Type makes bieng unemployed much nicer.
I haven't worked in 6 years but i got a new f-250, new tiger, and new house in the last 3 years.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 03:51 AM

Heck I found a 5 ft 100 lb doctor that crews on a tiger, Life is good.
Didn't take me long to buy that ring.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 08:36 AM

The Toshiba G900, biggest piece of cr@p I ever bought. sick
It had great features, too bad none of them actually worked. frown
Its now a €600 coaster/paperweight. grin

[Linked Image]

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 02:24 PM

An R/C helicopter.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 02:32 PM

I'm 27, all of my friends that are married are either miserable, or on the short track for divorce. When my current girlfriend, (3 years), brings up the subject, I'm at a loss.

You need to write to Captain Noah Tall laugh

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 03:12 PM

Jake, what didn't you like about the RC helo? I've always wanted to get one.

There is an awesome RC airplane/glider that is RTF, styrofoam and cheap. Like around $80. I need to go get another one, there was so much glue and wooden splints in my first one it wouldn't fly hardly at all anymore. I had some severe learning problems, the elevator controls were backwards from the gas RC plane I had as a youth.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Jake, what didn't you like about the RC helo? I've always wanted to get one.

There is an awesome RC airplane/glider that is RTF, styrofoam and cheap. Like around $80. I need to go get another one, there was so much glue and wooden splints in my first one it wouldn't fly hardly at all anymore. I had some severe learning problems, the elevator controls were backwards from the gas RC plane I had as a youth.

[Linked Image]

I was really starting to get good with it and although I had a known issue with the electronics causing a short and sudden altitude change, I was doing touch and goes from my driveway, over the fence, and in my backyard. Naturally while over the fence, it dropped suddenly and just barely caught the fence before I could react. The dance of the death chicken ensued as it flailed helplessly on the ground.
Posted By: PTP

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/20/08 10:19 PM

those things tend to disintegrate on impact... saw one crash once. You need eye protection no matter how far away you are.
Posted By: zander

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/21/08 04:21 AM

JAKE! I've got all kinds of spare parts for that at a just for you price. Of course the sister ship could be had as well. I never use it.
Posted By: H17cat

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/21/08 04:40 AM

Several stocks. You have to know when to hold them, and when to "sold" them. Missed the second part.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/21/08 05:25 AM

$300 elliptical trainer machine. Its not that i didnt want to use it.. but the thing was so hard to put together... i had to call the help line... i told them ,... i can put together 20 different types of US navy underwater mines but was ready to throw this machine out the window. when i finally got it together it would "thump" every time i would step down. i didnt want to shake the ceiling on my downstairs neighbors and i only used it about 20 times before i threw it away (actually had a friend help me get it down 3 flights of stairs... i dont know what he did with it.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/21/08 05:26 AM

Kiteboard gear 4 years ago, Instead of buying one sailboat I got 2 kites, 2 harness', board, bag, leash, inflator, wetsuit and booties too small. I wore the wetsuit today on my cat and I forgot how hard it was to get in and out of at least I got larger boots now.

Broke my own rule about dating someone with kids from a previous marrage with the ex still around, got married, lasted 6 years most good but her ex was always a pain and the kids hated me on his behalf.

You know why divorce cost so much?
Because its worth it...
I had enough left over to buy the boat.

Attached picture race day1.JPG
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/21/08 06:21 AM

Every single telescoping tiller I've ever bought. Giant pieces of garbage all of em. Never lock when you need em too, and always unlock when you wanna bear off in a big puff... horrible horrible. Plus the slop in the tiller you get at the U-joint is unforgivable on high-performance boats such as ours.
Posted By: bullswan

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/21/08 10:44 AM

All the cans and bottles of the latest greatest boat polishes.
All I needed was for Jake to introduce me to Vertglass sooner.

Ive got about 6 wetsuits that are in various degrees of tightness. Won't wear any of them. Wish I bought a drysuit years ago.

A Satellite phone.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/21/08 01:36 PM

Every stock i currently own and did in the past. hehe... i have faith (but no net worth).

Every time i get my bills in order and start to put money into my IRA... the market falls apart... maybe i should short stocks... that would almost guarantee stocks go up. At least everyone else would beniffit
Posted By: DennisMe

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 10:00 AM

A sailing yacht...
I thought it would be nice and dry.
Bored my socks off (Boredom is very very dangerous when sailing in these parts!). One brand spankin' new outboard later and I sold it. Never recouped that outboard expense, but that was the only part on the boat that actually worked... Hard to believe the outboard was more expensive than all my cat sailing gear bought to date?!!!
Posted By: Mary

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 01:29 PM

Motorhome. cry
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 04:08 PM

My Current house- Love it,
on a kind of busy neighborhood street- hate it!

We're contemplating a move, maybe to MIlwaukee. Any Cat saiors around there on Lake Michigan?
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 04:16 PM

Golf Clubs

What dumb-$#@ thought up this stupid waste of time?

Besides, they always fly out of the bag when I try to jump the cart path at top speed. At least the cup holders don't do that, or there'd be beer all over the seats.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Bouton
My Current house- Love it,
on a kind of busy neighborhood street- hate it!

We're contemplating a move, maybe to MIlwaukee. Any Cat saiors around there on Lake Michigan?

You want to move from Houston to Milwaukee?
Get ready for this:
[Linked Image]

Here are the current conditions:
Inner Harbor / KK River, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (PWS)
Updated: 2 sec ago
-1.0 °F
Clear
Windchill: -14 °F
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: -3 °F
Wind: 10.0 mphfrom the West
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 30.34 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Bring your long johns!
Posted By: ewindsail

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 06:38 PM

Wisconsin has some great Cat Sailing Check out CRAW at crawsailing.org

We have hosted the NACRA nationals several times and have a very active spinnaker fleet of I 20's and F18's
Posted By: brucat

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 07:05 PM

Jake, I bought an RC heli back in college (pre-sailing days). I used to spend at least $100 each time I flew (crashed) it. I did this on and off for about a year. After the last crash, I rebuilt it and it's been collecting dust ever since. Can't say I regret it, just wish it was less expensive to learn how to fly it well.

Mary, at the risk of opening a giant can of worms, why would you regret an RV? That's been one of my better purchases (supports sailing). smile

Mike
Posted By: blockp

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 07:08 PM

My first duplex.

If I’d have known 1/10th of what I now know about rentals, we would have pulled up to the curb, had a good laugh with the realtor and drove away. We learned a lot those first years, like how to not be so attached to the things we fixed… and fixed again after the next tenant trashed the place. We became quite proficient at cooking spaghetti & ramen noodles. We were newly married, no kids and broke more than not, but we lived.

See Risky but worth it thread.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 08:05 PM

You want to move from Houston to Milwaukee?
Get ready for this:

Time to bump the Global Warming thread? grin
Rick

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 08:10 PM

Mary, at the risk of opening a giant can of worms, why would you regret an RV? That's been one of my better purchases (supports sailing).

Mary hates it. I love it, but it is a White Elephant. To better cover the Worrell 1000 I dumped a ton of money into a diesel pusher, added satellite internet service with a self locking ability ($7000 + 1200 per year), and now we use it to go north.., and go south. Two trips a year.
Coming south this winter fuel was almost $5 a gallon. Cost me over $400 to fill it up. Does get over 10mpg pulling a trailer. And prices are about half that now.
Still for sale.
Rick

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Jake, I bought an RC heli back in college (pre-sailing days). I used to spend at least $100 each time I flew (crashed) it. I did this on and off for about a year. After the last crash, I rebuilt it and it's been collecting dust ever since. Can't say I regret it, just wish it was less expensive to learn how to fly it well.
Mike

I have always wanted one of those but i am going to take the cheaper route myself....

Brookestone Remote Control Helicopter - $29.95

I wonder if i could strap a Hero 3 on it!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jragg

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by andrewscott
Originally Posted by brucat
Mike

I have always wanted one of those but i am going to take the cheaper route myself....

Brookestone Remote Control Helicopter - $29.95

I wonder if i could strap a Hero 3 on it!!!

[Linked Image]

I just got one of those as a gift two days ago. It's a decent amount of fun, and for as cheap as it looks it is surprisingly durable. The whole thing only weighs a few ounces, and I've smashed it into walls, TVs, pictures, ceiling fans (not running), furniture, and a Christmas tree. It's still going strong after probably 10 battery charge flights with several crashes in each.

What do I regret?
That other Heli I bought last year. Bought it, destroyed it, and sold it. That is an expensive hobby for sure.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by jragg

I just got one of those as a gift two days ago.

2 days ago? Hanukkah started yesterday... x-mas is in 3 days.... what are you... a Druid celebrating the winter solstice? (JUST KIDDING!!!) - happy holidays.... hope your overhead lights survive the new toy!
Posted By: jragg

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/22/08 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by andrewscott

I just got one of those as a gift two days ago.

2 days ago? Hanukkah started yesterday... x-mas is in 3 days.... what are you... a Druid celebrating the winter solstice? (JUST KIDDING!!!) - happy holidays.... hope your overhead lights survive the new toy!

I was going for a week early Kwanzaa.

(Got to split up the holidays with the wife)

And I don't think that heli could break anything. Believe me, I've tried.

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/23/08 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mary
Motorhome. cry
In most cases there is no way to economically justify a motorhome. It's just another toy.

When we added on to the house we ended up living in the RV for ten months. Saved $1500 a month in rent. It finally paid off!

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/23/08 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Bouton
Aren't there just two seasons in Wisconsin? July and road closed? When is fly season?

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/23/08 04:32 AM

And I don't think that heli could break anything. Believe me, I've tried.

I accept your challenge smile
Posted By: Brian_Mc

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/23/08 04:44 AM

First two Hobies. Way too much time working on them, and not enough sailing. Current boat is suffering from neglect, and I'm getting the same ribbing from my sailing chums again...
Posted By: blockp

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/23/08 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by hobie1616
Aren't there just two seasons in Wisconsin? July and road closed? When is fly season?

Close. Our seasons are actually "winter" and "road construction". Lake flies come out in May or so crazy

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/23/08 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by blockp

Close. Our seasons are actually "winter" and "road construction". Lake flies come out in May or so crazy

That makes more sense. In Hawaii it's summer and Kona storms.
Posted By: brucat

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 12/23/08 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mary
Motorhome. cry
In most cases there is no way to economically justify a motorhome. It's just another toy.

When we added on to the house we ended up living in the RV for ten months. Saved $1500 a month in rent. It finally paid off!

We lived in our RV when we had our hardwood floors redone in the old house (un-Godly chemical fumes for about a week). My father-in-law is using it now as he's building a new house.

It definitely is difficult to come up with a way for the thing to pay for itself, but it sure does come in handy, not to mention how much more comfortable and convenient it makes regattas! smile

Mike
Posted By: Chesicat

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 01/16/09 05:11 AM

Now that certainly looks like a good enuff trade off to me.
Posted By: H17cat

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 01/16/09 09:19 PM

cool quote: In Hawaii it's summer and Kona storms.

So 1616, going sailing today? With the Kona's here, should be a good ride. Can't believe all the school and building closures on Oahu. The cold front causing the problem must be part of that "Global Warming Thing"

Caleb

Re: What have you bought that you regret ??? - 01/17/09 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by H17cat
cool quote: In Hawaii it's summer and Kona storms.

So 1616, going sailing today?

I believe I'll pass.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=HMO&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums