Catsailor.com

Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island

Posted By: Anonymous

Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/27/09 04:48 PM

I happened to come across a TV show last night where they were diving for lost H-bomb at tybee island..

pretty amazing..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Tybee_Island_B-47_crash

The 1958 Tybee Island B-47 crash was an incident on February 5, 1958 in which the United States Air Force lost a 7,600 pound (3,500 kg) Mark 15 hydrogen bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savannah, Georgia, USA. The bomb was jettisoned to save the aircrew during a practice exercise after the B-47 bomber carrying it collided in midair with an F-86 fighter plane. Following several unsuccessful searches, it was presumed lost somewhere in Wassaw Sound off the shores of Tybee Island.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/27/09 04:56 PM

Yup, I think about it everytime I'm down there.

Supposedly the risk of it going off are extraordinarily low.

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/27/09 05:13 PM

pretty wild..
i worked on explosives in the navy.. and yes there are multiple levels of "safety's" to prevent un-intended detonation.. there is more risk from your boom than from a "big boom"
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/27/09 05:18 PM

Tritium in it is probably depleted by now anyway so no chance of it going off.

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/27/09 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen
Tritium in it is probably depleted by now anyway so no chance of it going off.

Rolf, how did you get so smart? Must be the clean air and water in Norge!
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/27/09 07:33 PM

That explains the six eyed sharks and Chuck.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/27/09 10:50 PM

Didn't Jake pick it up, take out the guts, add a heater and use it to cure his carbon fiber projects?
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/28/09 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
and Chuck.

+1!

Ha!
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/28/09 05:43 AM

There are more nuclear weapons lost by the U.S. military than just that one. Search the internet for the code word "Broken Arrow" and be prepared to be shocked by the number of lost nuclear weapons.
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/28/09 06:06 AM

Kinda like California losing 30,000 state owned vehicles.

I shutter to think what my city government has misplaced eek

Posted By: catman

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/28/09 12:13 PM

I saw the show. Would make a decent wave to surf the boat!

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/28/09 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by catman
I saw the show. Would make a decent wave to surf the boat!

Only You and Hans would want to sail in that~! smile
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Did you know about. the hydrogen bomb lost at tybee island - 08/28/09 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by johnes
Kinda like California losing 30,000 state owned vehicles.

I shutter to think what my city government has misplaced eek

Are you serious? (as the lawyer community seems fond of shouting..) Cite! (as in, please link the reference for that comment)

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums