Catsailor.com

beam height to waterline on your boat

Posted By: TheManShed

beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/01/09 07:16 PM

What is the beam height to waterline on your boat?

I was wondering what everybody is using out there in the other designs, for example the newer designs such as the Wild Cat. I’d be interested in your measurements and thoughts? As the builder I can do what I want and now is a good time to plan.

Looking at the plans - I’m trying to figure what distance I want to build the beam height to waterline. If I build it 18 inches the beams will sit about Deck level on the redesigned ama’s. I can increase it to 21 inches and have to add a hump on rear deck of the main hull and some stand-ups on the ama’s.

Mike

Attached picture P1010106.JPG
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/01/09 07:52 PM

I say split the middle. It will give you a little buffer and not be so blatant. If you look the Supercat has about half the beam above the top of the hull and half below.

Re: beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/01/09 11:22 PM

On the ama's? or the main hull?
Posted By: Luiz

Re: beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/01/09 11:49 PM

Those are CATS (not trimarans) and their beams are straight, so the height is the same everywhere.

Re: beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/01/09 11:58 PM

This tri has a beam like a cat and it is level through the main hull. It is more like a cat and a half. I’m also looking for the information for general knowledge.

The cruising tri's have a much larger volume main hull for accommodations so the beams slope to the ama's that is not the case here.
Posted By: Luiz

Re: beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/04/09 12:49 AM

It makes sense to compare beam clearance with the F-Boats. What is your boat's size? (LOA, BOA, beam length)

Re: beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/04/09 07:33 AM

LOA-20'
BOA-17'
Beam Length-16'

Bow height approx 28"
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/04/09 09:39 AM

Is that LOA including rudders?
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/04/09 01:53 PM

I'd err on the side of too much(within reason) ,Beam slap sucks. My Trailer tri 720 is notorious for it.

Re: beam height to waterline on your boat - 09/04/09 08:51 PM

Craig that is pretty good! It may have to stand in for BMWO.
What is the measurement for the trailer tri 720?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums