Catsailor.com

Florida Advice

Posted By: Andinista

Florida Advice - 10/25/10 02:39 PM

Hi, I'm planing a trip to Florida, thinking in Daytona Beach, but not defined yet. I would appreciate some advice for cat sailing options, either resort that has cats or a place where I could rent. Thanks
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: Florida Advice - 10/25/10 04:05 PM

Islander Resort in the keys. Islamorada, FL.
http://www.islanderfloridakeys.com/
http://www.islanderwatersports.com/
Posted By: orphan

Re: Florida Advice - 10/25/10 05:21 PM

No rentals or resorts that have cats in Daytona. When are you planning your trip? That may influence where you want to go.

Re: Florida Advice - 10/25/10 06:11 PM

We are taking our girls (10 and 14), three or four days in Orlando (Disney, etc.) is the main goal, then a few more days a the beach or any other destination, nothing defined yet. Cat sailng is not the main goal, just checking possibilities.
Thanks!
Posted By: pgp

Re: Florida Advice - 10/25/10 06:28 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Hotel_Resort-Daytona_Beach_Florida.html

This is the site of Gilligan's run and Gaulden Reed Summer Sizzler.

There is a small Hobie concession there.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Florida Advice - 10/25/10 08:16 PM

Dunedin (gulf part of tampa) is due west from Orlando. Sail-honeymoon.com rents tris that are great for family fun and real fun in a good wind.

Clearwater beach (next town south) is a great family/fun beach

Re: Florida Advice - 10/25/10 08:56 PM

They do not rent hobies at the Acapulco Hotel & Resort . There just happen to be several people who sail out of there. Check with Scott at performace sail and sport in Cocoa Beach. He is on the river but I think he rents some cats. http://www.performancesailandsport.com/.
Depending on the time of year you are here may decide on where you want to go. If you are here in the winter the west cost of Florida is a better place to be.

Re: Florida Advice - 10/25/10 09:14 PM

Yes in the winter, january or february. Why is west side better,? Is it a very significant concern?
Thanks!

Re: Florida Advice - 10/25/10 09:22 PM

WINTER, head to the keys...always warmer!
Posted By: yurdle

Re: Florida Advice - 10/26/10 01:03 AM

I'm headed to Clearwater this week for vacation. Never been there before. I believe I'm staying next door to the sailing center, though...hopefully that means I'm close to sailboats.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Florida Advice - 10/26/10 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by yurdle
I'm headed to Clearwater this week for vacation. Never been there before. I believe I'm staying next door to the sailing center, though...hopefully that means I'm close to sailboats.

Your staying at Sand Key? Awesome spot. The sailing center has a lot of activity on weekends, but it's mostly kids in opti's and such. That place has a few Getaways for members to use.. but no rentals. You can feel free to go in the center and poke around, but there's not much to see. there is a public
beach you can drive on just past the buildings. If it's blowing (like its supposed to) the dunedin causeway has trimarans (about a 20 min drive from sandkey)

If your staying at the Mariot, its on the bay side... plenty of boats to watch. if you cross the street to the Sheridan (gulf side), great beaches and tons of boats to see..

let me know if you have any questions about the area. Enjoy

Re: Florida Advice - 10/26/10 05:22 AM

I'm at the Sheraton. I'll take any advice or info you've got. Thanks!

Re: Florida Advice - 10/26/10 01:21 PM

It will be warmer. The sailing conditions will be better. The place to go is the keys(check the Hilton key largo, great area to sail and they rent waves and getaways) but you are talking about a 5 hour drive from Orlando. Clearwater is about 1.5 hours. Honeymoon sail in Dunedin rents wind riders.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Florida Advice - 10/26/10 01:22 PM

In the Florida Keys (much warmer in the winter than the mainland) Chip and Barb Short have a beach rental for cats at Founders Park in Islamorada.
email is Barb (at) the-helm (dot) com

Re: Florida Advice - 10/26/10 04:50 PM

Thanks everybody, very useful information
Posted By: stevefisherkeller

Re: Florida Advice - 10/26/10 07:57 PM

Sheraton Sand Key used to have Waves for rent, I saw them on the beach when my brothers family was down last year.

Re: Florida Advice - 10/27/10 01:23 PM

If you are interested in West Palm Beach Area (Singer Island). I can hook you up. There are Hobie 16 and Hobie Wave rentals.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Florida Advice - 10/27/10 04:57 PM

Any line on a rental house in Largo or surroundings for 4 couples for Tradewinds?
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Florida Advice - 10/27/10 06:33 PM

check with Barb Short: Barb (at) the-helm (dot) com
She has connections
Rick

Re: Florida Advice - 10/28/10 03:15 AM

Just got here, there are def. cats dry-docked across the street. Apparently, though, No. Alcohol. On Beach. @#$%

However, found some cool places after some searching.

If anyone lives around here and plans to sail this weekend and needs crew, I'll happily supply lots of beer to hop aboard.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums