Catsailor.com

Round the Island

Posted By: Jake

Round the Island - 09/13/12 12:52 PM

Anyone have dates for round the Island in Ft. Walton / P'town yet?
Posted By: bacho

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 02:34 PM

I read it was traditionally the 4th weekend in June.
Posted By: PTP

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 02:57 PM

**** do the race
Posted By: tshan

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 04:49 PM

GYA calendar said it was June 16 and 17

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 06:21 PM

crap...the FL schedule had it first week'ish in October but now I seem to remember that already happening (and clearly that's the case). It looks like Hiram moved to the end of Oct. which gives me a conflict and I can't do it. I was trying to find a moderate distance race to make a run in.
Posted By: tback

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
crap...the FL schedule had it first week'ish in October but now I seem to remember that already happening (and clearly that's the case). It looks like Hiram moved to the end of Oct. which gives me a conflict and I can't do it. I was trying to find a moderate distance race to make a run in.

You confuse, "Round Cat Island, Pass Christian YC, MS", which someone put on the calendar for October TBD with "Round the Island, Ft. Walton", which is on the calendar for June TBD
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 08:11 PM

Jake, I think they moved Hiram's to the first weekend in November

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

That might help. I dashing to Chicago for a trade show right after A-cat worlds at the end of Oct. I might be able to pull that off if true...though the wifey will NOT be pleased...one week racing in the keys, home just long enough to sleep a few hours, to chicago for four days, home wednesday evening, leave for Hirams on Thursday afternoon...I kinda like it.

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 08:22 PM

That was the original weekend...I believe Scott had a schedule issue and moved it to the weekend of Oct 27 -28 (although a search of his website doesn't confirm that -- no mention of Hiram's 2012.

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 08:28 PM

well, s$it dude... you're not going to have a good turnout if you keep switching dates and not telling people...

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 08:28 PM

well, s$it dude... you're not going to have a good turnout if you keep switching dates and not telling people...

no kiddin'.

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 08:38 PM

no kiddin'.

Not my race ... just relaying what I've heard.

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by tback

no kiddin'.

Not my race ... just relaying what I've heard.

[Linked Image]

How I miss that cartoon...

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 09:04 PM

Confirmed with Scott.

Oct 27-28

Posted By: P.M.

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 10:07 PM

Recent history has them listing the NOR very late in the game, but it will be in June, if they have it. The last few years attendance has been sub-par.

RTI is a fantastic race. It has a little bit of everything. Jake, you've got to do this one once.

Re: Round the Island - 09/13/12 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mummp
Recent history has them listing the NOR very late in the game, but it will be in June, if they have it. The last few years attendance has been sub-par.

RTI is a fantastic race. It has a little bit of everything. Jake, you've got to do this one once.

I've done it three times already! Finished top 10 with my 6.0NA back in the day when it had 80 boats. Never finished with the sun up either. Them getting the date and details settled early will help with attended too I'm sure.
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: Round the Island - 09/17/12 02:45 PM

The 2013 R the I Race will be a titch refreshing in that the designer and planner is anticipating a large herd of Hobie 16s and a few sport boats.

For now - the plan is to launch the different divisions from different places at different times. We are hoping to hit the legit numbers again.

Re: Round the Island - 09/17/12 02:48 PM

Jake,

This coming weekend we will be doing a 38 nm race out of Pensacola Bay, and next weekend PBYC will be hosting the GYA Multihull Championships (Open to all).

Re: Round the Island - 09/18/12 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by catandahalf
Jake,

This coming weekend we will be doing a 38 nm race out of Pensacola Bay, and next weekend PBYC will be hosting the GYA Multihull Championships (Open to all).

In Cali this week...no can do.
Posted By: Thomm225

Re: Round the Island - 10/03/12 11:49 PM

The 2013 R the I Race will be a titch refreshing in that the designer and planner is anticipating a large herd of Hobie 16s and a few sport boats.

For now - the plan is to launch the different divisions from different places at different times. We are hoping to hit the legit numbers again.

If you want to hit the legit numbers again, have the race in September like it was back in the day. I'm betting lots of us would come down and rent a boat to do it if it was in September...........

Tom
Va Beach
Bristol 27 #335

Re: Round the Island - 10/04/12 02:20 PM

The organiser is currently in San Francisco, but I'll pass this along. Many of the locals totally agree with you.

Re: Round the Island - 10/04/12 04:49 PM

The organiser is currently in San Francisco, but I'll pass this along. Many of the locals totally agree with you.

as do I
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Round the Island - 10/04/12 05:22 PM

Just keep in mind it was moved to June because the seabreeze is better and more consistent and September was notorious for being very light air affairs, think Mug Race times 2.5. With that said I loved and hated RTI but seemed to keep coming back (I'm bad and must be punished). If it moved back to September I'd do it again, the June date conficts with one of our local regattas.

Re: Round the Island - 10/04/12 06:05 PM

We have always had more boats finishing before dark in September. The "sea breeze" myth is over - rated. We typically enjoy more breeze for longer in the day with the early cold fronts playing a role.

The first boat to finish before dark was Larry Harteck on a shiny new NACRA 5.8. I believe that was RtI, edition 2. Carlton finished the first race around 1:30 AM on Sunday morning, sailing a Hobie 18. Now, ask Bill Roberts about the year he was the only boat that finished before the USCG shut it down...

Re: Round the Island - 10/04/12 09:52 PM

BOOM! SCIENCE!!

These charts are for Fort Walton Beach and taken from http://weatherspark.com/

Daily Wind Max, Averages, and Mins throughout the year
[Linked Image]

Percentage of wind directions throughout the year:
[Linked Image]

Re: Round the Island - 10/04/12 10:04 PM

that southerly wind is probably more favorable between March and July

Re: Round the Island - 10/04/12 10:51 PM

I remember everybody getting all excited when they moved it to June, stating the more favorable sea breeze, and boy did the first year deliver. First boat (I think it was Brian on the CFR) came in around 1 pm. I finished around 5:40 on a non spin boat.

On the other hand, the RTI 2010 (renamed Round The Bay) was raced inside the bay due to the oil spill and absolutely sucked and was unbearable hot.

I'm guessing the perception of a bigger turnout moving it back to September is due to scheduling conflicts in June? Are there other reasons to have it in September?
Posted By: Bob_Curry

Re: Round the Island - 10/04/12 11:54 PM

The winds have been getting lighter and lighter in September for the last 8-10 years. And, you are tempting fate a lot more in Sep than in June with the tropics. Kudos to the guy who moved it to June! Oh yea, the days are longer and warmer in June than Sep too!

Don't ask how I know.

BC
Posted By: KevinRejda

Re: Round the Island - 10/05/12 04:36 AM

Done it about a dozen times, some in September and some in June. Finished in the daylight in both, finished in the dark in both. There are pro's and con's for each, although I can say it can get chilly in September at 2am. It will always be a crapshoot in a race that long. Can't say that I have a preference.

Re: Round the Island - 10/05/12 01:47 PM

Wasn't it about the same time as the T-500? Or was that in May

Re: Round the Island - 10/05/12 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by mummp

On the other hand, the RTI 2010 (renamed Round The Bay) was raced inside the bay due to the oil spill and absolutely sucked and was unbearable hot.

Yep, that one was a scorcher and miserable until 1 or 2 when the sea breeze filled in.

I can never remember being getting cold on an RTI, but then again I always get along with my crew and some might say too well, but I never get cold... just sayin.

Although I'm not a big fan of moving established dates around at this point is there that much to lose? Yes I have my own selfish reasons for wanting it back in September.

Re: Round the Island - 10/05/12 03:43 PM

Dave, what you do with your crew, well that's your business. I get along well with my RTI crew too, but I aint cuddling with the guy to keep warm. I'll just sit here shivering, waiting for the breeze to come back, thank you.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Round the Island - 10/05/12 03:53 PM

Does Kathy know?
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Round the Island - 10/05/12 03:58 PM

I got hypothermia sailing with Karl the 1st. If your last name isn't Shackleton or such, there's not much excuse for man hugging alone on a boat,certainly non in south Florida. Greetings and alcohol induced story telling may be exceptions.

Re: Round the Island - 10/05/12 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
I can never remember being getting cold on an RTI, but then again I always get along with my crew and some might say too well,

well, at least that DOES expalin the Barry White music they were hearing down the bay...

Re: Round the Island - 10/05/12 09:41 PM

You weather scientists are too much. Bob, this September was a bit shaky, wasn't it?

I spoke with Mike Kelly at FWYC last evening, and he corrected my memory. The change of date was tropicaly inspired, and not sponorship - driven as I thought/imagined with low batteries in my memory. Mike has also agreed to be a generous sponsor in order to stimulate spirit and turnout.

If one has never been cold in a RTI race, then one has been very fortunate. Trust me, being a titch cold is much better than having the helm knocked out of one's hand four times by lightning in Force six and very restricted visibity.

Re: Round the Island - 10/06/12 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by KevinRejda
Dave, what you do with your crew, well that's your business. I get along well with my RTI crew too, but I aint cuddling with the guy to keep warm. I'll just sit here shivering, waiting for the breeze to come back, thank you.

Warm and toasty is clearly faster.

Re: Round the Island - 10/06/12 12:53 PM

Of all the races, the September RTI event out of Ft Walton really sticks out in my mind.

You start with a cool northeast breeze (as you folks all know), you are usually stuffing donuts into your mouth and trying to keep the orange juice from rolling off the tramp as you push off, and if you have a decent upwind boat like say a NACRA 6.0 in the late 90's, you could probably get out ahead of most boats on the first leg up to the sea buoy.

Not having a spinnaker on my first few races, this was the time to turn back and watch 50-60 spinnaker boats pop their chutes and start to move out. The rest was usually a sleigh ride with a lull here and there. (Yes, I'm describing the picture perfect RTI race not the ones where you finish at 3AM)

I first saw the race in 1995. Two SuperCat 22's led off at the start. Some guy on a big G'Cat finished around 4pm. Many of the other boats were in around 5-7pm. It was the first time I saw a catamaran with a spinnaker. It was a pretty awesome site........

Tom Turlington
Va Beach
Bristol 27 #335

Re: Round the Island - 10/06/12 04:55 PM

Right on about the September dates, sometimes the wind would start northeast, fade some, the seabreeze would fill, follow the sun west, and it would end up northeast again by 9 or 10 that night. I also remember a guy finishing during the awards breakfast one time to lots of applause.
Posted By: John Farris

Re: Round the Island - 11/07/12 05:24 PM

Fort Walton Yacht Club is proud to announce the dates for 2013's 'ROUND THE ISLAND are June 28 - 30, 2013.

Would ask that everyone save your questions till Bert Rice, Randy Smyth and I have time to get organized. Randy and I started last night.

John

.../).../).../)...

==================================
John D. Farris, Fleet Captain
Fort Walton Yacht Club
Certified Club Race Officer - 2012
==================================

Re: Round the Island - 11/28/12 03:07 PM

The tentative schedule for the Gulf coast for 2013 has RTI scheduled for the last weekend in June, 28th-30th. There is concern that this date conflicts with Horn Island Hop, a regatta that has long been held on the weekend of or before the July 4th holiday. Would it be possible to move RTI forward a week (the previous weekend is open), or back 2 weeks (again, an open weekend)?

Re: Round the Island - 11/28/12 06:10 PM

Kevin,

FWYC has an opening the weekend prior June 22-23 that might work.

That weekend is the same as GYA Challenge Cup but I'm not racing so can run RTI.

What do you think?

John
FWYC Fleet Captain
Posted By: JMAC

Re: Round the Island - 11/29/12 03:58 AM

Moving earlier better - "in theory" stronger sea breeze. Lock it in June 22-23.

RTI, HOH, and Meigs back-3-back = panhandle sailing satisfaction!!!

Re: Round the Island - 07/16/13 10:21 PM

So how'd it go with the RTI this year? Any chance it could go back to the September timeframe?

I think we had 80 boats my first time...........but it was then scheduled in September.
Posted By: TylerH

Re: Round the Island - 07/16/13 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Thomm225
So how'd it go with the RTI this year? Any chance it could go back to the September timeframe?

I think we had 80 boats my first time...........but it was then scheduled in September.
Not so good, Bout 5 boats and i'm 90% sure they ran into rain.

Re: Round the Island - 07/17/13 09:51 PM

Plans are already underway to host the regatta the week prior to or the week following Juanas - Back to September.

I spoke with Mike Kelly (Beach Liquors) and he will arrange for a major sponsor. The launch site will return to Leeside Park for the high performance cats and trimarans with the Ramada Inn on the Gulf as the launch site for the Hobie 16s 'off the beach' style.

Put this one on your calendar. The NoR will be out by September 2013. Ya Hoo Daddy!!!

Re: Round the Island - 07/17/13 10:36 PM

Bert,

Those are tough weekends for me and might be for others for the same reasons. Juana's is a long weekend for several out-of-town commuters such as myself and others. Condos are rented and Juana's has become an end of summer vacation for many who bring the entire family. We usually start showing up Wednesday and Thursdays and some don't leave till Monday. Putting RTI on prior/following weekend makes it tough decision if you have to choose and Juana's will win.

Just to clarify, are you proposing an RTI for this year 2013?

I would really like to see RTI return to the event it once was but short notice, Juana's, etc. puts you behind the 8 ball.

I love this distance race.

Re: Round the Island - 07/17/13 11:04 PM

Read the last line. We are planning for next year. I am with FWYC now, and we are working up the Trimaran Nationals and the RTI well in advance.

Re: Round the Island - 07/17/13 11:14 PM

Read the last line.

I did. You guys have a recent history of putting out NoR's the week before.

Glad to see you're planning ahead.

Re: Round the Island - 07/17/13 11:30 PM

Bert,

September is probably better than June, but Philip is right about scheduling back to back, and the weekend before Juana's is Labor day weekend, probably not a good choice. RTI used to be towards the end of September, maybe that is where it should return to.

Re: Round the Island - 07/17/13 11:55 PM

Hey Kev,

Hope you and the family are enjoying vacation life in Spain.

Mike Kelly just finished refurbishing his ARC 22 and is making the date calls as sponsor. We are returning to the original formatting plan. Most likely the RTI will be the weekend following Juanas so the racers can leave their boats in the area and return for the RTI.

It's still a long time off so we'll see what FWYC and Mike finally decide what to do. I just wanted all to know we are aiming at a September event for 2014.

Re: Round the Island - 07/18/13 01:03 AM

We love the feedback and we are listening.

John

2013 Fleet Captain
Fort Walton Yacht Club
~~/)~~~/)~~~~~/)~~/)~~~~/)~~~~~~~/)~~/)~~~~
Doing whatever it takes to get more people sailing
and more boats on starting lines on Choctawhatchee Bay!
Posted By: jaybird1111

Re: Round the Island - 07/19/13 12:04 PM

John Farris

you have no idea just how lucky you are to have Mr Rice on your side, as I'm sure the Pensacola folks will tell you.

Suggestions for better attendance:
--FWYC needs to promote RTI. There has been virtually no announcement in advance (month/s ahead) and no horn-tootin'. There are two other websites than this one in which it would be prudent to announce: thebeachcats dot com and Sailing Anarchy's multihull forum. Once you've made a thread, bounce it from time to time to keep it on the first pages viewed

--Most of your attendance is from out of town and you should plan accordingly. Food and drink specials don't hurt. Getting discounts at hotel rooms is helpful. Make sure that FWYC can possibly provide storage for boats ahead of time, especially if you want to piggyback off an earlier regatta, you need to have somewhere for people to leave their boats.

--Don't do this the weekend after Juana's, it will be difficult for travelers, who will be most of your attendance. Give it at least two weeks. The traditional date for RTI is indeed late September.

--There are fewer people involved in multihulls these days, and even fewer who want to spend a long day of it, so your planning should go accordingly, albeit 9 boats or whatever is indeed low even for the present state of the sport.

Logistics, logistics, logistics.

I can remember attendance in the hundreds, back when my wife crewed on a Hobie 18 for this race. But also there was a cheap hotel right at the start line, that had a funky cool bar, and the National Park beach in the same place. And there were hundreds at most regattas -our sport isn't what it used to be.

Re: Round the Island - 07/22/13 02:43 PM

Is September "off season" for ya'll? If so, seriously consider putting an effort into securing Tourist Development Council (or whatever it's called) grants. You are providing a surge of hotel rooms, restaurant patrons and the like....

Many cities/counties set aside funds for just this type of activity (to promote local business to outside visitors). Some are funded by bed tax, some have other means of funding...

Another option would be to pitch to the local chamber of commerce and rotary organizations, who may wish to participate in some way, either through discounts to racers or directly in terms of some logistics or organizational assistance. Heck, some may even want to sponsor something... They can then show their members how the "chamber works" for those member businesses.

It's probably a little late this year, but the cycle for 2014 event should probably start around Christmas (developing the "pitch", meeting with the groups) and serious pimpin online in July at the latest...?

This may or may not have to be a "by-sailors for sailors" event. It could be a community-wide rally combined with cultural or other sporting (kayak, fun-run, etc) events for the non-sailors/shore crew. Maybe reach out to the other local groups to see if they are scheduling anything the same weekend and cross-promote...

Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Round the Island - 07/29/13 03:42 AM

Hell, I may even come do it again, not if only 5 boats are on the line though.

Re: Round the Island - 07/31/13 02:19 AM

I'll trek to FWYC Thursday evening and ask for a September 20 date for the 2014 edition of the RTI. We will see what the powers have to say.

Re: Round the Island - 07/31/13 04:44 PM

Plans are already underway to host the regatta the week prior to or the week following Juanas - Back to September.

I spoke with Mike Kelly (Beach Liquors) and he will arrange for a major sponsor. The launch site will return to Leeside Park for the high performance cats and trimarans with the Ramada Inn on the Gulf as the launch site for the Hobie 16s 'off the beach' style.

Put this one on your calendar. The NoR will be out by September 2013. Ya Hoo Daddy!!!

So will the Hobie 16s launch/start at the same time as the boats from Leeside? And what is that like maybe 12-15 mile headstart?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Round the Island - 07/31/13 05:41 PM

That would be the ideal scenario so the divisions could mix it up offshore.

Re: Round the Island - 07/31/13 05:59 PM

If I cannot find another boat and have to do it on a Hobie 16, I'm definitely wanting the headstart and the early launch.

Several times Hobie 16s (or similar boats) have crossed the start/finish line during the trophy presentation on Sunday as I recall because we would all cheer for them...........when the presentation was in that little bar by Leeside Park.
Posted By: jdr

Re: Round the Island - 08/02/13 09:46 PM

RTI if I remember right was 3rd. Weekend in Sept. and Juanas was 1st. Weekend in Oct.

Juanas then changed to weekend after labor day.

I enjoyed RTI when it was run by the old CMA. Remember Chans, AJ's, The Brewery. Those were good times, FWYC ruined it. Moved it from off season to the middle of peak season. Raised prices, but you got less in return, very few trophys, lousey food. (Hell Shady Grady did a better job cooking than FWYC has.) Last time I did RTI (3 years ago)the way FWYC ran it left a bad taste in my mouth and havent been back since.

I can remember seeing some strange rigs back in the old days, met some really good people back then also.

Of course most of us are not spring chickens anymore. The allure of doing a 100 mile race isnt what it used to be. Thats probably another reason for the low turnouts.

Posted By: Kaos

Re: Round the Island - 08/05/13 04:07 PM

Here is my 2 cents.

FWYC did not ruin the RTI race. They picked up a race that is very difficult to run and like most things, get no thanks in return. If the group that used to run it in Sept. where having so much success, they would still be doing it.

The race was moved because of complaints about September. Now that the new date doesn't work, no one remembers what happened back then, only that it was a great race etc. and no one ever had a problem.

That said I am not a local. I did the race way back when, run on the beach in Sept. etc. and I have also done the race several times run by FWYC. I was also one of the very few boats to do it this past year.

The problem with this race (if there is one) is that it is a long distance race. Those are very tricky to be viewed as successful and the success or failure is a simple result of the weather. Good weather, great race. Bad weather, bad race. Period.

I do not spend lots of money and time going to a race because of the food, the race committee, or any of the reasons typically pointed to as the reason a race is good or bad. That "stuff" helps, but it is not the defining element.

Long distance races are difficult period. That eliminates 75 to 80 percent of today's sailors.

So my advise to FWYC. Pick a date NOW. Spend the time leading up to it promoting the race. If I was to point at the biggest reason for decline of this race it has been due to lack of promotion.

Racers go to races to race other sailors they want to race against. You have Mike Kelly, Randy Smythe, Brian Lambert and a host of other great racers to sail against. Get the word out that you can come and race these guys and folks will show up for a great race. Promote who will be there early and often. If you get some good early commitments and let everyone know, it will be a great time.

Cheers and good luck.

Re: Round the Island - 08/05/13 05:59 PM

Part of the problem is that catamaran sailors are nomadic. Races like RTI probably draw sailors from much further away than the typical yacht club event. Promotion is much more important with this kind of event. I've been itching to do it again but it's hard to find information on it and then I forget until its too late to schedule it.

Re: Round the Island - 08/05/13 06:54 PM

I have spoken with some participants who have stated they will never return. Their reason was due to the fact that there was no one at the finish to finish/score them, even if it was the next morning. Everyone should be cheered just for finishing.

Re: Round the Island - 08/05/13 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by P.M.
I have spoken with some participants who have stated they will never return. Their reason was due to the fact that there was no one at the finish to finish/score them, even if it was the next morning. Everyone should be cheered just for finishing.

That would be a little frustrating.

Re: Round the Island - 08/05/13 08:42 PM

Everyone should be cheered just for finishing.

Especially for a distance race of this kind. But does that REQUIRE the RC and everyone else to sit there? yeowch.

From someone who's taken great pride at DFL on many a distance race, I'm happy to just submit my own time to the RC.... smile

Even using a "ringer" driver (Karl the first), I was surprised that the RC was still at Ann's beach after 11+ hours of waiting for us.

Re: Round the Island - 08/06/13 03:51 PM

All,

The planning committee for the 2014 RTI is reading all the feedback here and other sites and the input is being considered for next year's event.

Thanks,

John D. Farris

2013 Fleet Captain
Fort Walton Yacht Club
Certified Club Race Officer - 2012
~~/)~~~/)~~~~~/)~~/)~~~~/)~~~~~~~/)~~/)~~~~
Doing whatever it takes to get more people sailing
and more boats on starting lines on Choctawhatchee Bay!

Re: Round the Island - 08/06/13 04:04 PM

Jake and all,

Frustration is when you've ridden a squall line in from Pensacola Bay, had the helm blown out of your hand four times by lightning, reversing course because of the wind direction change in white/black out driving rain - to be the third boat to finish (right behind John Suares' Viva 27) and discovering a lonely finish mark and no lights on the beach.

The USCG ordered the race cancelled right after the Roberts 30 finished earlier that afternoon.

This is a bona fide distance contest and genuine test of seamanship.

What I took off the table last Thursday evening at FWYC, is that the race will be on September 13 (full moon) or September 20. Very few Juanas racers will be interested in the offshore experience and night sailing, so we are not betting on them to bolster our turnout, but we do wish to offer them turnaround time.

Shady Grady and Tommy Garner will keep the food coming all afternoon and until all the boats are accounted for. There may be a refundable deposit for entry with a strict cut off date (no last minute mind changers for this gig - it ain't no beer can race). Final entry fee will be due at check - in. If this approach gains traction, only under USCG or Tropical cancellation will the OA return the deposit. This is my idea to protect the sponsors and the OA's build up investment for food and resources.

Count on several check points manned by US Sailing race officers, and there will be safety regs and inspections.

We hope to see the GT 300 tribe and RTI veterans give us another chance.

Re: Round the Island - 08/06/13 06:33 PM

What I took off the table last Thursday evening at FWYC, is that the race will be on September 13 (full moon) or September 20.

Those are tough weekends for me and might be for others for the same reasons. Juana's is a long weekend for several out-of-town commuters such as myself and others. Condos are rented and Juana's has become an end of summer vacation for many who bring the entire family. We usually start showing up Wednesday and Thursdays and some don't leave till Monday. Putting RTI on prior/following weekend makes it tough decision if you have to choose and Juana's will win.

Originally Posted by KevinRejda
September is probably better than June, but Philip is right about scheduling back to back, and the weekend before Juana's is Labor day weekend, probably not a good choice. RTI used to be towards the end of September, maybe that is where it should return to.

Originally Posted by jaybird1111
--Most of your attendance is from out of town and you should plan accordingly.
--Don't do this the weekend after Juana's, it will be difficult for travelers, who will be most of your attendance. Give it at least two weeks. The traditional date for RTI is indeed late September.

Very few Juanas racers will be interested in the offshore experience and night sailing

Simply not true.

Originally Posted by John Farris
We love the feedback and we are listening

Carry on gentlemen . . .
Posted By: Kaos

Re: Round the Island - 01/29/14 03:48 PM

Jake and all,

Frustration is when you've ridden a squall line in from Pensacola Bay, had the helm blown out of your hand four times by lightning, reversing course because of the wind direction change in white/black out driving rain - to be the third boat to finish (right behind John Suares' Viva 27) and discovering a lonely finish mark and no lights on the beach.

The USCG ordered the race cancelled right after the Roberts 30 finished earlier that afternoon.

This is a bona fide distance contest and genuine test of seamanship.

What I took off the table last Thursday evening at FWYC, is that the race will be on September 13 (full moon) or September 20. Very few Juanas racers will be interested in the offshore experience and night sailing, so we are not betting on them to bolster our turnout, but we do wish to offer them turnaround time.

Shady Grady and Tommy Garner will keep the food coming all afternoon and until all the boats are accounted for. There may be a refundable deposit for entry with a strict cut off date (no last minute mind changers for this gig - it ain't no beer can race). Final entry fee will be due at check - in. If this approach gains traction, only under USCG or Tropical cancellation will the OA return the deposit. This is my idea to protect the sponsors and the OA's build up investment for food and resources.

Count on several check points manned by US Sailing race officers, and there will be safety regs and inspections.

We hope to see the GT 300 tribe and RTI veterans give us another chance.

Just checking in... cool

Has any progress been made regarding a date? Is September still the target??

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums