Catsailor.com

Steeplchase Thoughts

Posted By: RickWhite

Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/10/12 03:58 PM

It was all my fault for selling Rick' Place Motel in the Keys.., another sailing venue lost. I never dreamed it would be so tough after that.

So, we are left with the Caribbean Club (who now has a barbed wire fence [well not quite that bad] around the beach), and Gilberts, where you never know from year to year what they are going to do, or how they are going act, or how much they are going to charge.

Since the new bridge over Jewfish Creek, myself and many others have pondered how we could utilize that opening to make a better race.., and we have yet to figure out a good way.

However, yesterday after looking at the improvements at the Islander, it would be awesome to launch from there, knowing that every year we would be playing with the same ground rules, knowing we could keep and rig our boat there, keep the trailer there, and not have some jerk hounding you about where you put your trailer, are you drinking your own beer or ours, etc.

The only way I can figure this is to start and finish at the Islander, with a non-stop trip. Going the same direction would allow for a spin run to Channel Five, and a beat/close reach up the IntraCoastal Waterway, and a spin run finish.

Most of the finish times have been under 8 hours, or around that. If it was really light air, we could shorten course before Jewfish Creek, or even at Card Sound Bridge (there is a place to pull out just to the north and east of the bridge.

The race would be easier to run from one position, despite some of the slower boats coming in late at night.

The thought occurred to me when I considered a lot of you love the Round the Island Race at Ft Walton Beach, and many of you are Worrell, Tybee and Great Texas folks.

Would it work for this year.., may only require you to cancel at Gilberts.

Please toss in your ideas and thoughts. And let anyone else you know that is interested to jump in.
Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/10/12 04:18 PM

I remember finishing the first day, multiple times in the glow of the hazard lights. Doing it all in one day would be very condition specific, which would, most likely,turn alot of people off due to the travel and time commitments to do the race. Plus it wouldn't really be the Steeplechase that you guys originally started.
Maybe try running that format as a new race in addition to the Steeplechase and see how it goes and go from there.

p.s. It kills me to see Rowells lot going to waste, every time I'm down there.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/10/12 06:48 PM

I am totally with you on Rowells. What a great place for so many venues.

Might be a good idea to try the new format in the spring sometime after Easter when room prices are back down.

You always come through for me, Tawd.
Rick
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 12:15 PM

If you run out of the Islander, could we stop the end of the first day at the Upper Keys Sailing Club? that would be a split about equal to where we're used to.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
If you run out of the Islander, could we stop the end of the first day at the Upper Keys Sailing Club? that would be a split about equal to where we're used to.

Actually, that would be a really nice run. It would be nice to start and finish at the Islander with all that space.

Rick, what are the chances this might be possible for this year?

I also agree with Tawd...having it one day is definitely do-able but it just wouldn't be the same. It feels like I get more return for my trouble with a two day sail.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 03:31 PM

I would also like to vote for an upwind start if the predominant NE breeze is in place off the Islander...set a line square with the breeze into a short weather leg with a mark to be rounded before popping kites and heading south.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

Actually, that would be a really nice run. It would be nice to start and finish at the Islander with all that space.

I also agree with Tawd...having it one day is definitely do-able but it just wouldn't be the same. It feels like I get more return for my trouble with a two day sail.

It's doable if the conditions are right. It's by no means guaranteed, more like the opposite. I'd say out of the 10 or so Steeplechases that I've done, the full race in one day would have been doable on maybe a third of them.Once you go through the creek back to the ocean you're pretty much committed, there are a few pullout spots but not many, and in the dark would be rough finding one.
I'm not familiar with the upper Keys sailing club, but if they have the room and a landing spot that sounds like it could be cool.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

It's doable if the conditions are right. It's by no means guaranteed, more like the opposite. I'd say out of the 10 or so Steeplechases that I've done, the full race in one day would have been doable on maybe a third of them.Once you go through the creek back to the ocean you're pretty much committed, there are a few pullout spots but not many, and in the dark would be rough finding one.
I'm not familiar with the upper Keys sailing club, but if they have the room and a landing spot that sounds like it could be cool.

Only 18 miles up the road between them and not having to leave the boats tied up in the mangroves overnight at Anne's beach is a bonus.
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 04:17 PM

I like the idea of using UKSC if possible as the layover.
Posted By: Sloansailing

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 04:38 PM

I have only done one of these races and it was very light, we didn't finish the half way point at Annes Beach until 9:30 or later. We had some mechanical issues that didn't help either... It seems to me the idea of doing the whole thing in one day is very condition specific, and while do-able, would not be ideal.

My other input is that here we are only a month away from the start date of a race that for some requires quite a bit of planning. I have bought plane tickets for myself and a few friends who are using this as a winter getaway. We have made reservations at Gilberts. Its not that the plane tickets would change with a change in the race format, or that we couldn't cancel at Gilberts and go somewhere else, just that doing so a month before the event isn't great planning.

I don't have the experience in distance racing beach cats that some of you do, but I do have a lot of experience distance racing other boats, with lots of boat and crew logistics involved. It is in fact a large part of my livelihood. If you are going to change the format, start now and get it figured out for next year (2013), not a month before this years event.

Two years ago we had no problems with Gilberts whatsoever. We plan to arrive earlier this year to have a bit more setup and leisure time.

That my $0.02. That said, whatever happens we'll have a great time! Looking forward to less time drifting and more time socializing this time around.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 07:48 PM

I think that Karl's UKSC suggestion has a lot of merit. Is there space to pull the boats out for the night?

And do you stock the bar at UKSC or just double their income projection if we all pulled in there?

It's also probably closer to Islander to run back there between finish 1 and start 2. And it would split up the "steeple" part of the chase on the backside, right? Which might make it more challenging to have the start on day 2 with all the boats moving up through the mangroves. I think it might be pretty cool!

I do recall a few loooooong drives (hung-over of course) from Kelly's motel to Anne's Beach at the crack of what-ungodly-hour-is-this on Sunday....

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 07:51 PM

And how much is Rowell's selling for these days?

Perhaps an equity membership? smile

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 08:05 PM

Oooofff...that fleet wide entrance into Tarpin basin in race mode will be nutz. That's a pretty narrow creek and usually has a bit of boat traffic crazy

I wonder if we shouldn't enter Blackwater Sound from the West north West...ala up and around skipping Tarpon Basin. That would give the fleet just a little time to stretch out a little.

edit...looking at it again, it's something a little over a mile to Grouper creek from the sailing club - that probably won't be too bad working through the creek.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 08:17 PM

or make it optional on how you get back to Islander? Either go North or backtrack your route south?

Is it exactly equidistant from UKSC to Islander

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 08:23 PM

The club could work, but this year there is no way that would happen. The club has funny quirks, yet they were great about starting the Keys 100 for several years and enjoyed watching.

To utilize the Islander and UKSC, I think it would have to be a counter-clockwise race. That way on the second day's start the fleet would not all be roaring into a narrow channel, rather through one small hole and into another large sound.
If UKSC is for it, they would probably do a deepwater start for us on the second day. While you would miss the normal spin run down Hawks Channel, you would probably have a blast under spin going across the shallows of the back water. May be even more of a "Steeplechase."

Back to Gilberts.., the manager still has not called back despite emails and many phone calls. So, we drove over, but the bar and all the help were swamped -- veteran's day. So, we are going back over tomorrow and corner the guy.
Rick

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 08:26 PM

I would be willing to live with the crowded fight through the creek, or a longer detour to the WNW entrance to Blackwater, to keep that typical south bound spin-run on the outside. But, I don't think I've ever run the kite through the backside...could be interesting.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 08:30 PM

I did....once

And "interesting" would be an understatement. But we survived and didn't destroy anything, although the conditions were pretty moderate (12-15knots)

I also remember a southbound beat to Anne's Beach in something like 15-20 out of SW with harsh gusts, but that's part of the charm...never really know what's going to happen until you're there.

Jake, weren't you at that one where few, if any, could get through Jewfish creek because of the headwind and current? Someone had neat video of all the "attempts" at making the bridge...
Posted By: tshan

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 08:32 PM

Can someone post that great youtube video of the boats attempting to get through the old bridge? No Steeplechase conversation is complete without that.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by tshan
Can someone post that great youtube video of the boats attempting to get through the old bridge? No Steeplechase conversation is complete without that.

Yeah, our ground crew shot this video. I never got around to it, but I was going to put Benny Hill's Yakity Sax music on top of it.

http://www.teamseacats.com/2006/12/12/the-draw-bridge-video/

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 08:46 PM

okay, checked Google Earth and from Islander to UKSC would be
+/- 33 nm going clockwise
+/- 54 nm going counter clockwise

So if Day 1 were to be the longest, you'd want to run counter clockwise...
Posted By: tshan

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 08:47 PM

Yes. Awesome.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/12/12 09:30 PM

anyone reconnoiter 1525 Ocean Bay Dr, Key Largo, FL?

Just south of that address looks like an empty lot with ocean access on Google Earth. Can't tell if there are rocks at the waterline or not. Probably are, but....

That would be a cool spot for the layover. Clockwise from UKSC it's 39nm day 1 and 48nm day 2. You'd split up the Bay side into both days...

And it's across the street from UKSC, so if you stayed nearby, the drive would be super-short.

Being what appears to be an empty lot, we'd probably need landowner's permission and it would be nice to have someone keep an eye on the boats at night...

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/13/12 12:01 PM

you lost me, Jay

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/13/12 04:58 PM

just looking at a map for a likely place to stop. Empty lot on the ocean side across the island from UKSC, but probably full of rocks as I can't imagine a beach on that side...

Looks great from the aerial maps smile

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/13/12 05:49 PM

I would be willing to live with the crowded fight through the creek, or a longer detour to the WNW entrance to Blackwater, to keep that typical south bound spin-run on the outside. But, I don't think I've ever run the kite through the backside...could be interesting.

That's my favorite part , spin on the backside. Boards and rudders up flying the kite across the mudflats. Done it a few times.

Back to Gilberts.., the manager still has not called back despite emails and many phone calls. So, we drove over, but the bar and all the help were swamped -- veteran's day. So, we are going back over tomorrow and corner the guy.

Thanks Rick. Diligence on this will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/13/12 07:58 PM

We used to have the Hogs Breath Keys 100 that started from the UKSC, just south of Grouper Creek, sailed south across all the mud flats with spins up and it was great. Broke out to the Ocean Side through Channel 5 with a first stop a Marathon.

That race is no longer, although Warren Green has tried to keep something similar open. Not the same though.

Anyway downwind on the backside is a thrill.
Rick

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/13/12 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by RickWhite
We used to have the Hogs Breath Keys 100 that started from the UKSC, just south of Grouper Creek, sailed south across all the mud flats with spins up and it was great. Broke out to the Ocean Side through Channel 5 with a first stop a Marathon.

That race is no longer, although Warren Green has tried to keep something similar open. Not the same though.

Anyway downwind on the backside is a thrill.
Rick

I tried that twice. Blew up (twice) the first time and finished with a concussion the second. That was a great race though.
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/13/12 09:28 PM

I always really enjoy the spin run down Hawks channel on the outside. I can't imagine going the other way upwind up hawks channel. That could be painful.

Of course the first year I did it was directly upwind up Hawks channel. I think we finished at 10pm that night. The wind while light still wasn't terrible. Just fighting it directly upwind made for a long day.

Back side is usually upwind or a reach. And for some reason it usually blows stink on the second day.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/13/12 10:34 PM

I haven't done that many, but I've seen pretty much all conditions on either day...

The spin reach on the backside is a bit of a challenge getting your angles right. Not to mention those pesky lobster traps popping your rudders or snagging the boards.

And spin reaching with boards/rudders up across the flats (in traffic) does tend to increase the pucker factor. I think we flipped at the first flat with the spin up and had to slog out to the top of the mast to lift it up and right the boat. Dragged a lobster pot about 50 yards, too, trying to free the board.

I think the hardest was that nasty beat down Hawk's channel (finished about 18:30 hours) with the harsh westerly. My crew almost quit at Anne's Beach after our 1/3 mile slog pulling the boat in the thigh-deep mud to cross the finish buoy (literally) laying in the wet sand. Not just the mud, but that dang sea-lice crap that stung the snot out of us during the "Bataan Death March of shame". I think an ARC finished last and the tide had come back so they sailed right in...

The next day was upwind/reach in about 20 knots and cold cold COLD

Then there was that drifter year when Ricky quit on day 2. I think that was the same race where we finished well after dark on day 1 as well. Ricky was our "curb feeler" and hit the sandbar so we could steer around it.

But that's why we do this race... for the stories smile

Posted By: Robyn

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/15/12 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by tshan

Yeah, our ground crew shot this video. I never got around to it, but I was going to put Benny Hill's Yakity Sax music on top of it.

http://www.teamseacats.com/2006/12/12/the-draw-bridge-video/

So when can I expect my royalty check? grin

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/19/12 03:37 PM

So I guess Steeplechase is on, and Gilberts is home base.

Hope to see you punks there.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/19/12 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mikekrantz
So I guess Steeplechase is on, and Gilberts is home base.

Hope to see you punks there.

Attendance-wise it looks to be a good year.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/19/12 05:58 PM

crap - I think I need to sign up...checking.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/23/12 09:44 PM

Anybody noticed that a Getaway is registered.

Rick, you might want to give them a call, unless you plan on bringing a sleeping bag to Anne's Beach...

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/24/12 12:04 PM

they called it off
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/24/12 04:54 PM

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/24/12 04:57 PM

Oh. The Getaway called it off. Gotcha. I was thinking one of the venues.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/25/12 12:16 PM

Hi Karl, yes, the Getaway decided to call it off

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/26/12 03:43 PM

bummer. put a tent on the trampoline and have them record their own time.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 01:20 PM

Attention F18 Sailors......Given the size of the F18 fleet competing in the Steeplechase this year, there will be a trophy presented to the top F18!

Better show up ready to rumble....Team Karl Squared is gonna be ready to kick some a$$ especially those tamed Todd, Tawd, Ricky, Punk, or Foggy (jebus....how many names can two guys have?)!!!!!!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 02:26 PM

Sweet!

I'm going to have to bring my super top secret rock star crew!

-M

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 02:52 PM

I've got Fantastic Frank back on the front, my spin halyard cleat has been firmly reconnected to the mast, I have mostly fixed my downwind speed deficit, and I have a theory regarding why I lost so much time in the mangrove creeks last year - We plan on making you guys work for it.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 03:06 PM

Attention F18 Sailors......Given the size of the F18 fleet competing in the Steeplechase this year, there will be a trophy presented to the top F18!

Better show up ready to rumble....Team Karl Squared is gonna be ready to kick some a$$ especially those tamed Todd, Tawd, Ricky, Punk, or Foggy (jebus....how many names can two guys have?)!!!!!!

So Ding has got free reign to do with you what he wishes.Boy, You gotta get your priorities straight.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 03:12 PM

So Ding has got free reign to do with you what he wishes.Boy, You gotta get your priorities straight.

If he were coming, he'd be square in my sights! I think he got scared.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 03:13 PM

If he were coming, he'd be square in my sights! I think he got scared.

wait...what? He's not coming? I wanted another shot at him this year!
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 05:18 PM

Yep, you guys are on your own this time. Remember boys it’s the first cut that is Anglefish, just because Lohmeyer is sailing to Miami does mean you have to follow him and you know Moss is guessing. Karl remember to check your bridles, you don’t want another mishap, and pointy side up this time. Just because you’re going over a flat doesn’t mean you get a pass for laying it over. Oh and your boy is dipping now, that should fun to deal with. Ricky make sure your flight leaves on Monday… booking a flight for Sunday evening is just a poor planning and not an excuse to bail. Todd, try to get around the keys without pissing anyone off on or off the water. And Todd, F18’s can get blown over on the beach, I’m not sure if you know that or not. Jake, you knew I wasn’t going to make it this year I mentioned it in an unrelated email, that hurts my feelings a little bit.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram

Todd, try to get around the keys without pissing anyone off on or off the water.

And what, exactly, would be the fun in that?

You've got to be kidding me, you're really not going to be there after all the talking. Did you tear your Saturday panties? Out of diapers? What's up?

Booger's dribbling dip juice blowing back on Mr. Bonifant should be entertaining, and you're gonna miss it.
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 06:03 PM

WTF?!?! Flights cancelled.. no fun in going if I can't beat up on Ding.

Whats the excuse?!?!?!!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 06:14 PM

I think he has a pedicure scheduled.

I was going to write something far less tasteful, but opted not to. I'll leave that to Other Karl.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 06:14 PM

Todd, try to get around the keys without pissing anyone off on or off the water.

You've got to be kidding me, you're really not going to be there after all the talking. Did you tear your Saturday panties? Out of diapers? What's up?

Booger's dribbling dip juice blowing back on Mr. Bonifant should be entertaining, and you're gonna miss it.

I know Todd I'm not crazy about it either let's just say I'm having a Roth, Bohan, Back moment. The shame and disappointment I feel is great. Not to worry though I'll be at Tradewinds to put your collective dicks in the dirt.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 06:19 PM

Yep, you guys are on your own this time. Remember boys it’s the first cut that is Anglefish, just because Lohmeyer is sailing to Miami does mean you have to follow him and you know Moss is guessing. Karl remember to check your bridles, you don’t want another mishap, and pointy side up this time. Just because you’re going over a flat doesn’t mean you get a pass for laying it over. Oh and your boy is dipping now, that should fun to deal with. Ricky make sure your flight leaves on Monday… booking a flight for Sunday evening is just a poor planning and not an excuse to bail. Todd, try to get around the keys without pissing anyone off on or off the water. And Todd, F18’s can get blown over on the beach, I’m not sure if you know that or not. Jake, you knew I wasn’t going to make it this year I mentioned it in an unrelated email, that hurts my feelings a little bit.

I can't believe that you, of all people, are dinging me over my lack of memory recall. Careful, poker and golf aren't exactly good for the waist line (and yes, I had to go look that **** up).

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 08:33 PM

I think he has a pedicure scheduled.

I was going to write something far less tasteful, but opted not to. I'll leave that to Other Karl.

At least I get a capital "O".

I've got nothing, home sick today and dying on my couch.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 09:23 PM

Bourbon.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 09:49 PM

I can't believe that you, of all people, are dinging me over my lack of memory recall. Careful, poker and golf aren't exactly good for the waist line (and yes, I had to go look that **** up).

I know Jake but it's not like we have a whole lot to work with. We only see you once or twice a year and there is only so many times we can recycle the Spring Fever sailing off the beach with that cat trax still tied to the boat story. The thought of you searching through your email looking for where I told I wasn't going to make it this year grumbling the whole time did make me laugh. Thank you for that.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Bourbon.

Negative, water, rest, and more rest.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/27/12 10:37 PM

Damn! If you're that sick better add a little chicken soup.

Uh, I don't suppose you've considered a Dr.?

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/28/12 12:37 AM

I know Todd I'm not crazy about it either let's just say I'm having a Roth, Bohan, Back moment. The shame and disappointment I feel is great. Not to worry though I'll be at Tradewinds to put your collective dicks in the dirt.

So is Roth, Bohan back moment code talk for
"I'm scared and my mouth's been writin' checks my diaper wearing butt can't fill"?
That one's new to me.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 01:10 AM

Dave is just scared, as you all should be. Clearly.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger

Someone's feeling better.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 03:00 PM

So actually doing a distance race isn't a prerequisite to smack talking about it?

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 03:58 PM

So actually doing a distance race isn't a prerequisite to smack talking about it?

I'd say whatever gets more people to sign up is game... but yeah, dishing out the smack and not stepping up is more of my thing.... Surprising coming from Ding, though...

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

I'd say whatever gets more people to sign up is game... but yeah, dishing out the smack and not stepping up is more of my thing.... Surprising coming from Ding, though...

That was directed at Booger a.k.a. Karl the 2nd, the distance racing virgin.
Ding has , at least, been there.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 04:09 PM

and yet, it will be sad knowing that this year, ya'll won't be hearing the incessant stream of profanity coming from our "very best good friend" while he paddles against the current in Angelfish...

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 05:47 PM

Paddling!?! kiss, I'm out. The only paddle I'm any good with is wrapped in leather and studded.
On second thought, I'm back in. Time for y'all to be really afraid.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 06:23 PM

Paddling!?! kiss, I'm out. The only paddle I'm any good with is wrapped in leather and studded.

Beth might get pissed.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 06:24 PM

So is Roth, Bohan back moment code talk for
"I'm scared and my mouth's been writin' checks my diaper wearing butt can't fill"?
That one's new to me.

I'm conflicted here... Oh f!@k it, yep that's exactly what it means.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 06:27 PM

Beth might get pissed.

Leave it to the new guy to gay it up. You boys have fun now and play nice.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 06:33 PM

Beth might get pissed.

She won't get pissed, but I do see her shaking her head and mumbling under her breath about all the lunatics on the beach. And Tawd....you fall squarely in the middle of that group, so don't start getting all high-and-mighty on me now!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 07:14 PM

Beth might get pissed.

She won't get pissed, but I do see her shaking her head and mumbling under her breath about all the lunatics on the beach. And Tawd....you fall squarely in the middle of that group, so don't start getting all high-and-mighty on me now!

Only in the middle?
You never struck me as the leather and whip kinda guy. You've changed. "What happened to us?"

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/29/12 08:25 PM

Kinky is using a feather, perverted you use the whole chicken.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 12:22 AM

I can't wait for the Steeplechase to be over so this thread goes away. You can tell winter is coming.
Karl the sick one glad you are back with us.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 12:49 AM

Which Karl? Which brand of sick? I fit all three....

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 01:06 AM

true dat.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 01:24 AM

Tawd, I might just drug you, and drop your naked butt off in Hialeah for entertainment. Or worse. South Beach on Versace's steps. Yeah, that kind of scared.

The only good news is, I'll be unarmed, so South Beach is more likely.

"Why they call them roofies? More floories"

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 01:55 AM

The only good news is, I'll be unarmed,

The bad news is I won't...
I can definitely make a couple of bucks off of you in Key West.
I do wonder why you seem to know a bunch of gay hotspots.

Sorry Dave, But ya gotta admit this is way more entertaining than political, Olympic, or US ailing threads.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 02:14 AM

That's always the problem with modern flying, you gotta check that stuff. Lame. Think they'll let me bring an Estwing? Probably not.

I know all the HHS (Homo Hot Spots), from your Facebook upgaytes, err updates.

Sweet bumbling baby jeebus, I'm ready to get my skinny butt on the plane and pour a rum drink that makes Karl1 faint. Hear that skip? Hit the liquor box, and have Beth give you a ride to the store when you're done!
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 02:01 PM

Even a whole chicken is kind of lame these days...as far as farm animals go....from what I've heard.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 03:17 PM

Allright boyz.

Who wants to put a bottle of fine rum where their mouth is?
If you don't know what a good bottle of rum is, I'll ask Gordon to give us a list of acceptable rums. (let me just say - Bacardi and the Captain aren't on the list)

Everyone donates a bottle of rum, and F18 winner collects them all...

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 03:22 PM

I'm ready to get my skinny butt on the plane and pour a rum drink that makes Karl1 faint.

Captain 100 - neat. All you need is some sort of container. Doesn't even have to be clean smile

Really rooting for you guys (didn't get kitchen pass this time...), but hope that Karl the first has sorted out those spin pole issues.

Karl (we'll just call you "number two") you didn't know paddling was part of this? With Jewfish, Angelfish, and those mangrove cuts, you'd better practice!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 03:23 PM

Is this for the F-18 fleet (you know, all the loud mouths) or the whole group?

I would prefer pitching in $10 for one bottle of rum to the winner. Not sure what I'd do with a whole bunch of bottles of rum.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 03:24 PM

Not sure what I'd do with a whole bunch of bottles of rum.

Beth can use them - it would help you appear more charming

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 04:08 PM

Bwahahahaha

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 05:02 PM

Allright boyz.

If you don't know what a good bottle of rum is, I'll ask Gordon to give us a list of acceptable rums. (let me just say - Bacardi and the Captain aren't on the list)

I think Karl has the right idea, put in some money, because with this crowd of pansies the winner will end up with a bunch of bottles of spiced rum. Krantz would get it right and Ding definitely would but...
Here's a news flash for the rest of you REAL RUM IS NOT SPICED RUM. Spiced rum is for the ladies(Yes even Sailor Jerry,just harder core ladies)in the same vain that Southern comfort is effeminate (Not a REAL bourbon in case you are wondering).
Crap made in Puerto Rico is the Chinese equivalent to rum.It does make a good carburetor cleaner though.
This site http://www.ministryofrum.com/ can help you to become a better person.Repent now and learn the error of your ways.
I'm too broke to drink good rum regularly, so Cruzan dark is my choice. Seeing how this is the first time I've sailed my C-2 all of this probably won't mater a bit to me, but I feel it's my duty to right the wrongs in the rum aisle.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 05:12 PM

Karl (we'll just call you "number two") you didn't know paddling was part of this? With Jewfish, Angelfish, and those mangrove cuts, you'd better practice!

I think you might have the one and two mixed up

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 05:56 PM

This site http://www.ministryofrum.com/ can help you to become a better person.

+1, although some of those "Aged" rums aren't all they tout in terms of flavor. Most are smooth, but more oak tasting than one would expect.

I like mine mellow with a hint of vanilla, typically from medium char barrels about 5 years.

You know you can make your own (legally):

Buy a small wooden cask (about $100 from a wine/homebrew site). You pick the char level, but I'd stay with light/medium since the hold time for such a small cask is about 6 months vs. 2 years (greater % by volume in contact with wood)

Buy 5 gallons of ethanol (strong vodka) and run it through a carbon (water) filter about 4-5 times. Since you've already paid the ATF tax (and you aren't distilling it yourself) you're good to go

Drop that bad boy in the cask and let it sit for a few months.

Some people sell a packet of "stuff" you toss in there too, to mimic the aged rum taste, but that's for beginners smile

Instead, buy a small amount of really good burbon and pour about 1/2 cup in the mix. Reasoning, of course, that most rum barrels started out as Whiskey/Burbon barrels that are used once and 'recycled' to other distillers.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 06:53 PM

Allright boyz.

I think Karl has the right idea, put in some money, because with this crowd of pansies the winner will end up with a bunch of bottles of spiced rum. Krantz would get it right and Ding definitely would but...
Here's a news flash for the rest of you REAL RUM IS NOT SPICED RUM. Spiced rum is for the ladies(Yes even Sailor Jerry,just harder core ladies)in the same vain that Southern comfort is effeminate (Not a REAL bourbon in case you are wondering).
Crap made in Puerto Rico is the Chinese equivalent to rum.It does make a good carburetor cleaner though.
This site http://www.ministryofrum.com/ can help you to become a better person.Repent now and learn the error of your ways.
I'm too broke to drink good rum regularly, so Cruzan dark is my choice. Seeing how this is the first time I've sailed my C-2 all of this probably won't mater a bit to me, but I feel it's my duty to right the wrongs in the rum aisle.

I'm a Curzan dark fan myself...but the Puerto Ricans have more rum making experience than anyone. Although they do make most of the base rums used in everything from Bacardi, Diageo (Captain), etc. - they keep the good stuff for themselves. I've done a couple of manufacturing jobs down there and the client has gifted me some of the good stuff...that was...gooooood.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 11/30/12 07:19 PM

I'm a huge fan of Seven Tiki. Its about the only rum I've really liked. Gives me nasty heartburn though.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/03/12 07:11 PM

I'm a huge fan of Seven Tiki. Its about the only rum I've really liked. Gives me nasty heartburn though.

Here's a tip for ya... don't drink the whole bottle in a single seating and eat something stick boy.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/03/12 07:19 PM

That would help, but food just hinder's my body's ability to in alcohol.
Posted By: tburd

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/06/12 09:14 PM

Any chance someone needs last minute crew?

Would love to do this race again, and I'm tentatively planning to be in FL the following week. I'll bring rum.

Tripp

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/07/12 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by tburd
Any chance someone needs last minute crew?

Would love to do this race again, and I'm tentatively planning to be in FL the following week. I'll bring rum.

Tripp

The Karl's have just been kicked off Beth's boat, tough break boys.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/07/12 06:35 PM

do tell. Is this a facebook update or a tweet? (not that it matters, as I have neither)

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/07/12 08:16 PM

do tell. Is this a facebook update or a tweet? (not that it matters, as I have neither)

It's an new form of communication....a Ding Dong.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/07/12 08:28 PM

amateurs.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/09/12 12:08 AM

Anyone have an extra paddle they could loan us? The container isn't going to make it back from st barths in time again so I'm stuck using a borrowed boat again. I'd prefer not to buy a paddle

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/09/12 02:06 AM

You've got big hands

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/09/12 03:19 AM

I've got you covered (again). You would think, as often as you find yourself up **** creek, you would own a second paddle.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/09/12 03:50 AM

I've got you covered (again). You would think, as often as you find yourself up **** creek, you would own a second paddle.

Or a second boat.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/09/12 04:39 PM

so how's the race going?

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/09/12 05:21 PM

so how's the race going?

Ask again next week!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/09/12 07:49 PM

I picked up some new gloves for this. They'll either shred my hands, or they'll be awesome. Used em' to deliver a bunch of cabinets the other day, even if they suck for sailing, they are grippy as hell and will work well there.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/09/12 10:38 PM

so how's the race going?

If you're not going to participate, at the very least, you could pay attention.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/10/12 04:59 PM

oops. thought it was always the second weekend in December

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/10/12 05:56 PM

Karl, just thinking out loud there huh? Seems like you had nothing better to input into this conversation than buying a new pair of gloves? You could have at least included a photo!

Jake, thanks for bailing me out (again)! I am going to try to buy a paddle on Friday, we'll see how that works out but I appreciate you letting me borrow one. We'll try not to paddle by you in the last mangrove.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/10/12 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by wildtsail7
Karl, just thinking out loud there huh? Seems like you had nothing better to input into this conversation than buying a new pair of gloves? You could have at least included a photo!

Jake, thanks for bailing me out (again)! I am going to try to buy a paddle on Friday, we'll see how that works out but I appreciate you letting me borrow one. We'll try not to paddle by you in the last mangrove.

see...it's that stuff right there....Frank the tank is a paddling machine - it was that extra foot and a half of mast and the one personal puff you had that got you around me in that creek.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/10/12 06:56 PM

It's cold, I only have work, screwin', booze, and sleep to occupy my time. (in order of importance)

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/10/12 09:39 PM

As I remember it, we had the spin up, you didn't. Brendon was paddling, I was holding the sheet, Frank was hardly paddling.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/11/12 03:08 PM

As I remember it, we had the spin up, you didn't. Brendon was paddling, I was holding the sheet, Frank was hardly paddling.

That's the punk we all know and love, well love might be a bit over the top...

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/11/12 05:57 PM

That's the punk we all know and love put up with.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/12/12 09:58 PM

The F18 trophy is almost done. It looks pretty cool. You B!tches are gonna have to work hard to take it from me!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/13/12 12:38 AM

Thanks for the effort Karl!! Sounds sweet. But I'm not sure how well Beth is going to drive looking at Tripp all day.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/13/12 02:59 PM

Gettin' on a plane bitches!
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/14/12 04:10 PM

Good Luck to all at the Steeplechase. I wish I could be there. I'm not missing it next year. Still the best distance race anywhere.
Posted By: Beth

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 02:04 PM

Everyone made it off the beach and paddling through Jewfish Creek. Ricky got too close to the side and got tangled in the mangroves. Looks like they are lining up for the start. Going to be a great day with winds forecasted in the mid-teens out if the ENE. Ding you should be here!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 02:21 PM

Hard to see the starting line - they're getting rained on.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 02:45 PM

JC and Bret first to the bridge. Followed by Steve and Kenny on the second Marstrom.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 02:48 PM

Third boat is the Falcon18 with Matt and Alex!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 02:52 PM

Followed by Jake and Frank and the Karls

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 02:54 PM

Correction - Mike K and Laura followed by the Karls

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 02:59 PM

Steve and Kenny turning around. Off to find out what the problem is and if we can get them fixed.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 03:07 PM

Steve and Kenny are out. Base of mast broke.

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 03:29 PM

Oh that sucks! Thanks for the updates Beth, keep them coming please.
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 05:42 PM

Thanks for the updates! What is the breeze like?
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 05:53 PM

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=mlrf1

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 06:19 PM

Loymayer and Pierce broke a mast base and pulled out near Card Sound Bridge.
Brett and JC just finished at 13.07.29. Dennis at Islander called and said a pink spin just went by -- musst the Karls

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 07:00 PM

Karl Langefeld and KarlBrogger second in at 13.45.44, followed by ToddHart and DaltoinTebo at `3.51.10

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 07:55 PM

Next in:
Todd Riccardi and Brendon Scanlon 14.11.11
then Jake Kohl, Frank Moore 14.13.56.
On boat, stillufo sailed way past the first finish beacho and are now beating back upwind to the finish.
Other reports.
'Matt MacDonald broke a mast and is out.
Also, Daniel Evans Nacra inter 20 and Nacra6.0NA are bot5h retired.

Boat that overshot the runway is about to land in reverse. Will get the number and finish time in a second
It was Steven Elgersma and Timn Evans on an Inter 20
Finish was 14.40/23
Just behind Scott Rathburn and Bill Dolan at 14.40.23+
Next in F1o8, Jan Majer, Ian SLoan

Only two more boats to account for -0-0 Richard and Liunda MacDonald and Buzz Wentz on a HObie 20

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 08:14 PM

Krantz and MacDonald pulled out at The iSLNDER, SO ALL BOAT ACCOUNTED FOR EXCDEPT THE h20 FROM oHIO
SDo far, a pretty early day
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/15/12 09:06 PM

Nice job to all who finished and glad to hear most are back on the beach!

Big congrats to Todd for finishing 3rd in his first ever F18 race, that must feel good!

What's up with all the broken mast bases??

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/16/12 03:02 AM

Laura and I were just behind them and saw the Falcon lose their mast so we stopped and stood by.

We threw them a tow line and sailed to the Islander. We towed them almost 30 miles in 3 1/2 hours, dropped them off and continued on to Anne's Beach

We're ready for tomorrow...
Posted By: PTP

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/16/12 06:31 PM

What Laura is sailing with you Mike? Muma?

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/17/12 02:04 AM

The one and only.
Posted By: PTP

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/17/12 04:57 AM

Nice! She and Alex split boats?
I hope everyone will be down there for Tradewinds!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/17/12 12:31 PM

Ten boats started and finished on Sunday. Riccardi was first across the line.
Results:
Karl Langfeld and Karl Brogger first overall on corrected and winner of the new perpetual for F18 Fleet
Brett Moss and John Casey on Marstrom 20 first to finish for a three-pete, second on corrected
Todd Hart and Dalton Tebo on F18 3rd on corrected
Full Story and pix later today on Headline Page
Rick
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/17/12 01:01 PM

I bet Brendon was first across the line... credit where credit is due! Hope to get down there for a Steeplechase in the next couple years, sounds awesome!

Re: Steeplchase Thoughts - 12/17/12 09:31 PM

Story and pix up.., Just go to Headline Page/Welcome Page.
either www.catsailor.com com
or click the logo on the top left of the page
Rick
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums