Catsailor.com

USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!!

Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 12/19/15 06:02 PM

Huge news for the US team! So stoked for everyone campaigning. Now they can focus on the trials without the pressure of country qualification!

Just copy and paste:
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/2016QualifiedNationsMNAconfirmationfromallevents14.12.15-[19831].pdf
Posted By: joeyg

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 12/19/15 06:39 PM

Broken link

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 12/19/15 10:28 PM

Not broken, you just need to copy and paste. This forum doesn't like the url format.
Posted By: catman

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 12/19/15 11:27 PM

You have to copy all of it not just the highlighted part.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 12/19/15 11:34 PM

Working link: http://tinyurl.com/hwd4g5e
Posted By: brucat

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 12/20/15 03:10 AM

Why is it listed as not confirmed? How did we earn this? More importantly, why is this so hard to find via searching?

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 12/20/15 11:53 AM

My guess is that confirmed means the MNA will be accepting the slot. The US earned the slot based on Sarah/Matt's finish at the last worlds. There were no new Nacra 17 teams at the Oceania continental qualifier, so that spot was reallocated based on the Aarhus worlds.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 12/20/15 03:38 PM

Thanks Jeff! I'm sure this was spelled out somewhere long ago. Nice job Sarah and Matt!

Mike
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/24/16 01:01 PM

Was just checking registrations for Miami OCR (link). Interesting mix for the US fleet. 9 boats registered.

39. Sandra Tartaglino
Chas MacBain
USA033 Nacra 17, Tiverton, RI

40. Stephanie Hudson
Dalton Tebo
USA 123 Nacra 17, Winnetka, IL - Illinois

41. Mark Mendelblatt
Carolina Mendelblatt
USA 027 Nacra 17, Miami, FL

42. Michael Easton
Katie Pettibone
306 Nacra 17, Burlington, Massachusetts

43. Bora Gulari
Louisa Chafee
USA286 Nacra 17, Detroit, MI

44. Sarah Newberry
Matthew Whitehead
305 Nacra 17, Miami, Florida

45. David Hein
[Pending]
025 Nacra 17, Rocky River, OH

46. Christina Persson
Todd Riccardi
88 Nacra 17, Ft Lauderdale, FL

47. Sarah Streater
Jensen McTighe
USA252 Nacra 17, Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/25/16 08:24 PM

This is the first event of the USA Team Selection for Rio. Second event will be the Worlds in Clearwater.

Lots of good teams and many good friends and family racing. I'm just hoping that everyone gets through the week with no injuries or breakages, and that the best teams rise to the top.

Gulari/Chafee were the top US team at the recent Miami midwinters with two bullets on the last day.
http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/11485#_newsroom+results

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/25/16 10:30 PM

Results available here: LINK

Race 1
5 Sarah/Matt
7 Mendelblatts
9 Easton/Pettibone
13 Gulari/Chafee
28 Hudson/Tebo
39 Hein/Darrow
43 Tartaglino/MacBane
44 Streator/McTighe

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 12:13 AM

Wow, Sarah and Easton dropped quite a bit after Race 2. Any stories?

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 12:50 AM

Haven't heard anything, and don't really expect to. Looking at the results a lot of teams were very up and down, not surprising in a big fleet with light air. Mendleblatts and Gulari/Chafee doing well because of consistency. Those keeper scores could be really helpful later in the event.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 12:52 AM

Only one team with two single digit scores...

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 02:17 AM

Consistency tends to win these things. Besson is 32nd, that about says it all!

Don't we have anyone onsite? Matt Bounds maybe?

Mike
Posted By: Jake

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 03:05 AM

weather data says it was light out of the NNW at Miami airport until about 1pm when a sea breeze started to circulate. Then it increased to about 10knots out of the east at 2pm. Pretty much the same in Homestead.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 04:54 PM

I think it will be interesting to see how the different pathways to securing the olympic spot play out.

The Mendelbrats come from Olympic success in traditional sloops. eg.. Classical tactical sailboat racing skills.
Bora comes from wining the foiling moth worlds.... so high performance max apparent wind experience.
Sarah and Matt come from the world of beach cats...
While Mike comes out of the college sailing club 420 world of tactical sailboat and team racing into the multihull world.

My bet is that developing the instincts for cats and moths during those formative years is an advantage.. So Sarah/Matt and Gulliari/Chaffee have an edge. Time will tell.

Of course, The USA still barely cracks the top 20 world wide.

My take home... Folks.... should get their talented daughters to cross train in multihulls along with their training in 420s.... Time in the boats at an early age should be the key!

We will see if the US Selection supports my theory.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 06:46 PM

The lighter the air, the more "slow boat" tactics should help, right?

When it's blowing like stink, getting off the line and focusing on clear air and boat speed are the priority. Of course, at this level, it's still going to be tight at the marks.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
... getting off the line and focusing on clear air and boat speed are the priority....

Mike

When is this not the case?

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 08:51 PM

oof, tough race 3 for the US boats

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/26/16 09:47 PM

Nacra North America has some nice photos over on Facebook

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/27/16 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jake
... getting off the line and focusing on clear air and boat speed are the priority....

Mike

When is this not the case?

Touché...

My point was that with more breeze, you can sometimes focus more on speed than positioning. It's harder to get substantial separation in light air.

A 420 or Opti gate with 80-boat fleets in light air is much different than in a windy race. With faster boats, more wind allows even more separation.

True, even when in the lead, you have to always focus on boatspeed (so as not to fall back into the crowd), but not having to worry about traffic and positioning makes life much simpler.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/27/16 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff.Dusek
oof, tough race 3 for the US boats

Ouch. The good news is, Mendelblatts and Bora/Luisa really stepped it up in Races 4 and 5, and are sitting 4th and 5th (respectively) overall!!!

Mike
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/27/16 03:56 PM

I posit that the tactic training would end up being the better path.

Tactical decisions still end up being the most decisive in a race, regardless of the average speed of the fleet.

I figure teams can adapt to the learning curve on a new platform (to maximize performance) quicker than they can learn tactical awareness?

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/27/16 04:47 PM

Since the US qualified before the OCR. The North American Slot now seems to be a match race between Ramsey of Canada and Figaroa of Puerto Rico.

Along with Paul Hess going for the South American slot... it puts two long time Hobie 16 masters shooting for the Olympic slots on N17s.

Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/27/16 05:06 PM

Unrelated to this thread, but ESPN is getting all activist-y on the rio water situation.

#riowater was trending #1 earlier today on the twitterz.

Posted By: Tom Korz

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/27/16 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Since the US qualified before the OCR. The North American Slot now seems to be a match race between Ramsey of Canada and Figaroa of Puerto Rico.

Along with Paul Hess going for the South American slot... it puts two long time Hobie 16 masters shooting for the Olympic slots on N17s.

I believe you mean Jason Hess from GUA

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/27/16 05:32 PM

correct... oops... thanks

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/27/16 11:42 PM

Wow... Guliari/Chaffee are sailing great and actually in medal contention. The rest of the US fleet is falling back into the 20s. Peaking at the right time... priceless!

The surprise of the fleet so far has been the performance of Bora Gulari and Louisa Chafee (USA), who have only been sailing together for a few days. Gulari’s normal crew was hurt just prior to the regatta, and Chafee, who had some experience in the class, was called in. They have shown remarkable consistency in a very difficult fleet and are currently third, 11 points out of second, and 15 points off the lead.

well maybe the sun, moon and stars aligning is even better!

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/28/16 08:28 PM

They are sailing reasonably consistently (extremely consistently compared to the bulk of the fleet), and are enjoying the rewards of that.

Mendelblatts got the Q in the last race yesterday. Some interesting protests in other classes too:

http://www.sailing.org/worldcup/protest-summary.php

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/28/16 10:03 PM

yea the dsq seemed silly... a port starboard with another US boat.... they just calculate the boat speed and time and agree with starboard.
Posted By: Isotope235

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/28/16 10:25 PM

Some interesting protests in other classes too:

Thanks for the link. It is an interesting read.

yea the dsq seemed silly... a port starboard with another US boat.... they just calculate the boat speed and time and agree with starboard.

What do you think is silly about the port/starboard protest? The jury found that Starboard took avoiding action, and given the speeds of the boats and how close they came, it seems evident that Port did not keep clear.

Regards,
Eric

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/28/16 10:55 PM

ah sorry....I think Port was being silly.... If they thought they get across by a foot or so...just silly. at speed... with 4 races a day... a collision is a regatta ender... why would starboard be ANYTHING but cautious. Port should have ducked. especially against a US boat... This is a zero sum game for the two of them but starboard has rights.

Port obviously thought that starbord pulled the plug on the cross too quickly and they could make that case in the jury room.

Moreover, Since they chose not to do their circle... It probably wasn't a brain freeze or... failure to spot the starbord boat...

So... just silly of port to push this protest to the jury room and not take their penalty turn.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 12:20 AM

Just got off the phone with David. Super bummed for him and Arielle- daggerboard ripped a nice hole through their hull today and he is done for Miami and Worlds. Crappy way to end the week.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 01:46 AM

It is a pretty good technique that most novice judges miss. Especially helpful when you can get the sailors to agree on wind and wave conditions and boat speed. You really don't need expert knowledge of sailing the actual boats with techniques like this. Helps at mark roundings as well.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 01:49 AM

Just got off the phone with David. Super bummed for him and Arielle- daggerboard ripped a nice hole through their hull today and he is done for Miami and Worlds. Crappy way to end the week.

Did they hit something, or did the boat self-destruct? Why can't that be fixed before Worlds?

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 01:53 AM

Yikes, Bora and Louisa got an OCS and a 33 and freefell to 7th.

Meanwhile, Besson ripped off two bullets and is clawing his way up from the depths of the fleet. What was he doing wrong all week before today?

Mike
Posted By: Pressure Drop

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 03:30 AM

It wouldn't be high-performance sailing without something like this happening, either. Would it.

https://www.facebook.com/eastonpettibonesailing/posts/721479014618386

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 01:28 PM

Wow! Wait, who polishes their boat at a regatta ???

I've washed mine if it's just been pulled out after the winter, but polished???

I guess that's why they're Olympic contenders and we're not...

Good luck today!!!

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 02:58 PM

Good luck today!!!

Mike

I knew a guy that didn't want his hulls touched at any time during a weekend regatta. Otherwise the skin oils would contaminate the go-fastery of the polished hulls.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 03:47 PM

Good luck today!!!

Mike

I knew a guy that didn't want his hulls touched at any time during a weekend regatta. Otherwise the skin oils would contaminate the go-fastery of the polished hulls.

The mental discipline it would require to not mess with that guy would be off the chart!

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 04:53 PM

They are sailing reasonably consistently (extremely consistently compared to the bulk of the fleet), and are enjoying the rewards of that.

Mendelblatts got the Q in the last race yesterday. Some interesting protests in other classes too:

Mike

While that reads as a clear port/stb violation, in other situations can the Stb boat still draw a foul if "hunting" the port boat?

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram

Good luck today!!!

Mike

The mental discipline it would require to not mess with that guy would be off the chart!

Hah!

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 06:30 PM

more then that.... laughed my butt off... Not sure what was funnier... the boat park scene... or the notion of seeing Dave exercising the required level of mental restraint!

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 08:23 PM

Inside jokes aside for the moment...

There's currently a tie for first overall!!!

Besson has had some sort of issue and appears to be off the water.

Bora and Louisa have slipped a bit more, still hanging in the top 10.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 08:39 PM

mo Not sure what was funnier... the boat park scene... or the notion of seeing Dave exercising the required level of mental restraint!

totally the latter... "Dave" & "restraint" are usually not found in the same sentence.. But that's why we love the big guy now, isn't it?

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 09:04 PM

Who are the Brits going to send... they have 4 teams in the top 20.... Spain has two teams in the top 10. Australia already made their choice and moved on from the legend that is Bundy (Waterhouse is a second generation cat sailor)

It looks like Bora dropped out of the medal round... so it will be a battle between Bora and the medelabrats for the US slot at the clearwater worlds coming up. my theory about cat/skiff experience at a young age is looking tenuous.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 11:19 PM

...so there's hope for our raise our own yout development program after all???

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/29/16 11:26 PM

Wow, what a harsh last day for Bora and Louisa. Looking forward to seeing how they can improve going forward!

Top 3 are extremely close going into the medal race! Will there be any sort of live coverage of that?

Can any of you Florida dudes hop onto a boat with some binoculars and a smart phone, and get us some real-time bootleg mark roundings from the spectator fleet area?

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 12:05 AM

i think the medal rounds are to be televised on espn3... (I remember seeing this notice... so... YMMV)
Posted By: David Parker

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 02:27 PM

There is a link to a YouTube page that says it will show live medal races on Saturday, January 30, with the Nacra 17 at 11:10 am. However, as of 9:00 am the page says
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." Maybe that will change by 11:09

Live medal racing on YouTube

Check out the links on this page at Sailing.org for tracking and mark roundings on Saturday. These pages look very cool! I hope they fill in the tables of mark roundings in real time.

Tracking

UPDATE:
Too bad that the N17 does not show tracking for previous races. Look at what they CAN do by going to the Tracking page above, scroll down and click on "Miami 2016 3D Viewer", load their viewer, and pick one of the 470 races that had tracking turned on. Once you figure out the many screen choices you can watch the entire race, follow any boat, zoom in or out, pivot, see all the gaps, add lines, everything. The only thing I couldn't do is see why a leading boat is labeled DFL (probably due to an unlabeled DSQ).
Posted By: P.M.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 03:16 PM

It's showing on ESPN3 at 11:00 EST. Anybody can watch ESPN3.
Watch ESPN

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 03:24 PM

Youtube is geo blocked in the US

We are to use ESPN3 and you need your cable provider login and password.

From 11 a.m. (EST), onSaturday January 30, the Medal Races from Sailing World Cup Miami presented by Sunbrella will be broadcast live on the World Sailing TV YouTube channel as well as ESPN3 in the USA. Please note that the YouTube feed will be geo-blocked in the United States.The Key Links are:
ESPN3 – http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2754788/2016-world-sailing-cup
World Sailing TV YouTube URL – https://youtu.be/_V2YQYar0IU
World Sailing TV YouTube Embed – <iframe width=”560&#8243; height=”315&#8243; src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/_V2YQYar0IU” frameborder=”0&#8243; allowfullscreen></iframe>Seven races will be broadcast live from the northern racing area on Biscayne Bay in Miami, Fla. The schedule in EST is available below:NORTH COURSE – LIVE
11:10 – Nacra 17
11:45 – Laser Radial
12:30 – Finn
13:10 – 470 Men
13:50 – Laser
14:30 – 49er
15:05 – 49erFXSOUTH COURSE
11:40 – 470 Women
12:20 – RS:X Women
12:55 – RS:X Men—Stuart Streuli, Sailing World Cup Miami, & Daniel Smith, World Sailing
Post Tagged withISAF,ISAF Sailing World Cup Miami,Sunbrella,US Sailing
&#8592; Previous Post
Registration
2016 Housing Information

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 03:43 PM

Mark,
unless ESPN has changed something, you do not need a cable subscription or login to watch ESPN3. Never have.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 04:06 PM

don't have espn3 on the cable box... but you can watch on line with the cable subscriptino... (Fios) Its up and running now

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 04:12 PM

I think Argentine tried to port tack the fleet and did not make it..

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 04:48 PM

Nice job with the on the water coverage!... the aussies fouled before the start and could not recover enough boats... finished in silver with the Dutch taking 3rd in the medal race for the win overall.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 09:10 PM

I wasn't able to watch it live, is it available for replay?

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 09:40 PM

Saw the second half of the race live. Great way to kill off any interest in racing fast catamarans. Horrendous commentary (Jobson needs to be replaced... asking if they can furl the jib downwind... really?) and a schedule that put the 17s early in the day before a decent chance of a seabreeze. Really disappointing, but not surprising.

On the plus side, the video was ok.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 09:58 PM

Welcome to the club, Jeff. I've developed a set of serious love/detest feelings for Jobson, started at the ACWS in Newport, went off the charts at the AC in San Fran. He's done so much for the sport, but should never be allowed near a mic for a multihull broadcast...

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 01/30/16 10:19 PM

ah Gary was at his best in the laser mens race.. It was going to be a match race between Bra and Fra for the gold Scheidt is like a god of laser sailing... now at 42 he is going for a record setting olympic medal. Bra jibed twice at the gate and got a chance to split with Fra ... this allowed him to pass and then extend the lead on the second beat. He highlighted this move after the fact.

In the n17 race... NED had novel methods of sailing the boat down wind compared to the rest of the fleet... nobody had an answer why they were the only ones trapping to leeward downwind.. That led him to the ... why don't they furl the jib question... not unreasonable to much of the sailing world who drop their jib upwind.

Its just conversation trying to make the game a bit more accessible.

The wind never got better then 7 or so it seems. enough to sail... but as one Finn guy said in the interview said ... it was ****... prompting Gary to apologize for the language...

So... with Gary J... you have to remember the audience target. the moments of insight are really basic.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/01/16 02:28 PM

so they almost need a second voice feed (like the AC online events) for the experienced/technical multihull sailors...

Remember "sex breath" on NZL?

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/09/16 08:54 PM

Nacra 17 Worlds started today in Clearwater, and it is the second event of the US Trials. Had a nice chat with Easton this am, and he sounded ready to go. Big breeze forecasted for the first couple days.

Results

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/09/16 11:21 PM

Most definitely big breeze today. Actually the sea state was more of a challenge. Big Gulf chop. Bit of rescue action.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/10/16 08:10 AM

Story about Worlds day one. Worlds

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/10/16 01:52 PM

Oy, tough day for everyone...

IF the story is true, it's surprising that at a Worlds, the RC wouldn't AP out of that start with that large a shift making the line so lopsided. Of course, that's a big IF, and to insinuate that's the only reason Besson won is ridiculous.

As for the redress, assuming that the offset was properly set (and on time) and clearly part of the course in the SIs, it's going to be hard to find an error of the RC. It would take a pretty liberal IJ to find that the size of the mark (unless stupidly small) chosen by the RC was an error. It's hard to find liberal IJs, I've observed.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/10/16 09:31 PM

4 races in the books.
Americans are 19, 27 and 28th.

Selection is going to be a tough call... The Mendelebratts are holding two seconds right now. The OCR leader's (Guliari) top finish so far is 29

a medal does not look promising. It is a tough game!

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/10/16 11:11 PM

4 races in the books.

Selection is going to be a tough call... The Mendelebratts are holding two seconds right now. The OCR leader's (Guliari) top finish so far is 29

Selection won't be a tough call. It is simply math. Add the results from the two selection events, and lowest total wins the trials.

Current trials standings: http://www.ussailing.org/olympics/selection/teamtracker/

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/10/16 11:12 PM

BTW, please stop calling one of our top Nacra 17 teams the Mendelebratts. There is no need for that.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/10/16 11:32 PM

The conditions continue to be tuff. I'm on a safety boat and we are dealing with 7ft chop. The boats are doing fine up wind but it's impossible to heat them up downwind because of the short spaced tall chop.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/11/16 02:56 AM

Nice writeup from Day 2: http://www.nacra17class.com/nacra-17-worldsnorregaard-hits-the-turbo-in-turbulent-conditions/

No mention of the offset redress hearing from Day 1.

I don't see protest results, which is disappointing after Miami.

Thanks for that link, Jeff. US sailors in a close battle for the Rio slot at the moment!

Anyone know what happened to Sandra?

Mike
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/11/16 03:20 PM

Anybody know the story behind the double OCS's that Sarah and Mathew got? They just showed up this morning in the results.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/11/16 05:55 PM

I saw them last night, fwiw...

Were there results posted yesterday without the OCS? It's possible that the results were posted before the RC added the letter scores. Not ideal, but does happen.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/11/16 06:50 PM

I checked them yesterday about 6:00pm, and they were posted without OCS's and had them leading the US teams.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/11/16 08:04 PM

Ouch, race 3 just changed to a DSQ for them

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/11/16 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by mikekrantz
Ouch, race 3 just changed to a DSQ for them

good lord. That hurts.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/11/16 08:29 PM

Wow, must have been late night in the room, or the Scorer had already left for the day.

Two OCSs and a DSQ. Harsh way to end that dream, especially after doing so well for so long (over the past few years).

Really wish they were posting protest results.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/12/16 02:16 AM

4 races in the books.

Selection won't be a tough call. It is simply math. Add the results from the two selection events, and lowest total wins the trials.

Current trials standings: http://www.ussailing.org/olympics/selection/teamtracker/

Is it just a math thing? On this page, http://www.ussailing.org/olympic-se...ilors-ready-in-49er-49erfx-and-nacra-17/ near the bottom, *NOTE: All athletes selected by US Sailing for the Rio 2016 U.S. Olympic Sailing Team will be subject to approval by the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC). -

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/12/16 03:43 AM

I'm sure that's there to weed out problems?

The good news is, US Sailing has an open process, and will select the top team based on results (not nepotism). If they balk, they'll open themselves to the mother of all lawsuits.

After the Farrah Hall mess (maybe not nepotism, but nasty lawsuit), I'm willing to hope they'll try to avoid that like the plague...

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/12/16 04:01 AM

Day 3 Report: http://www.nacra17class.com/ozzies-waterhouse-darmanin-make-a-move-on-light-air-day/

Whoa... Another mixed up kind of day...

Mike and Katie shot up to 15th overall! Also sailed their best (and worst) races of the week.

Mendelblatts sailed a new throwout, but also got a new best score...

Stephanie and Dalton got an 11 and a 7, great day for them!

Bora and Louisa also got their best (and worst) results of the week so far.

Sarah and Matthew got a new high score.

Jeremy and Mayumi didn't have a great day.

Sandra's back on the water!!!

Mike
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/12/16 04:49 AM

Clearwater Worlds Results:

http://www.manage2sail.com/en-US/event/8845f1dc-a649-4880-bf22-abf02522e09a/#!/results?classId=83806ed6-1e5f-4e0d-819d-5e7497871588
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/12/16 05:39 AM

4 races in the books.

I check into this board to see what smack my friends are talking every now and then, and I run across this...from a guy who is on the "multihull council" You've been extremely rude to me in the past, but this is straight up childish. Glad to see the leadership is in strong hands! JC

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/12/16 02:17 PM

BTW, awesome podcasts dude... Gotta listen to Randy's still but Macca was hilarious
Posted By: joeyg

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/12/16 10:19 PM

Randy's was great, some funny butt stories. Great podcast! Keep up the good stuff.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/12/16 11:30 PM

No report up yet, but it looks like four more races today. Still a tight race for Rio between Easton, Mendelblatt and Gulari. Besson is just galloping away with this one.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/13/16 06:17 PM

Day 4 report: http://www.nacra17class.com/nacra-17-worlds-running-on-all-cylinders/

Waterhouse got his OCS fixed.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/13/16 10:05 PM

Three races scored today. One race left for tomorrow, and while it's not the event's medal race, it's still too close to call for who will represent USA in Rio, so in some respects, it's even more critical for us. Very exciting!!!

Day 5 report: http://www.nacra17class.com/unearthly-unison-besson-and-riou-fly-on-water/

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 04:49 PM

I believe the final pre-medal race should be live on YouTube shortly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS8v-aQJaHI

Then again - maybe not. I saw some N17s in the background - though they might be queuing up for the next race.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 05:01 PM

Announcer just confirmed it will be coming up. 49erFX up first. Under AP at the moment.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 06:33 PM

Clearly I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Not seeing any N17 sailing... frown

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 06:54 PM

Patience . . .

it's coming on soon.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 06:59 PM

Results are posted for the fleet (non-medal) race.

If the current results stand, here's how the US teams rank for Rio:

Bora/Louisa: 14
Easton/Pettibone: 16
Mendelblatts: 17

Wow, that's about as tight as you can get!

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 07:08 PM

Bora Gulari and Louisa Chafee win selection series per the twitter feed.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 07:33 PM

Now

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 08:17 PM

Did we really need that idiot yammering on forever (at the end of the medal race) about potential differences in the OD boats? He clearly was filling dead air time, and had absolutely no reason to question the boats. Unbelievable.

Mike
Posted By: Pressure Drop

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 10:27 PM

Absolutely no reason to question the boats? Really? No, their concerns surely must be unjustified with several US teams having gone through 3 platforms in the three year run-up to the Olympiad, or, sorry, the trials. I almost forgot, the Games aren't for another six months.

Because, you know, it's totally normal for a OD manufacturer to mail out a gag-order to their owners while they "resolve the technical issues."

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/14/16 11:40 PM

Why does this look so awkward?

https://youtu.be/bek5cU3wve8

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/15/16 01:13 AM

Probably a 31 out of 43 is not feel good result with which you capture the slot. The team called it... "perseverance"

The up side spin is that Bora recognizes that he has 6 months to figure the boat out and says so (WOW) ... and a track record on the moths of doing just that. The key will be finding the right international coach for the final push.

I think the two event selection process is the right solution and better then the winner take all Olympic trials of old. The 2016 N17 fleet does not provide a lot of support one way or the other for the new process tho. The old system presumed that the US Sailors would be peaking 6 months before the games.. Well... in 2016... the term peak has new meaning.
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/15/16 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pressure Drop
Absolutely no reason to question the boats? Really? No, their concerns surely must be unjustified with several US teams having gone through 3 platforms in the three year run-up to the Olympiad, or, sorry, the trials. I almost forgot, the Games aren't for another six months.

Because, you know, it's totally normal for a OD manufacturer to mail out a gag-order to their owners while they "resolve the technical issues."

I don't understand your post. Where is this "Gag order"?

Nacra released a Technical Bulletin informing customers that they would be improving warranty support and details of all upgrades made to the boats by hull number. If you'd like to see this please email me.

I spent the week at the Miami World Cup, sailors were generally understanding. We could absolutely improve the production but the most important thing we can do is stand behind the product by reimbursing sailors for repairs, we are doing so.

You do realize 49ers generally last less than 6 months? They've been an olympic class for 20 years.
Myself and most of the top guys in the F18 fleet cycle through boats in less sailing days than these boats have seen. In a year, these guys see 200+ days, that's probably 5-8 years with how often I sail. Since I've been involved in the F18 I've been getting a new boat every 2-3 years.

-Todd Riccardi
Nacra North America
Todd@NacraSailing.com
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/15/16 01:57 AM

Bora is an amazingly dedicated sailor. He truly devoted every resource he could to improving in this boat.
Bora was foiling steadily in training before any other U.S. teams were. In late September I watched Mike sail circles around Bora by half a leg in nearly every race. I spoke to Bora a few times between then and January and he told me "They were really figuring some things out". He even asked me what other sailors were saying about him. Well other sailors told me that Bora has a way of looking at things and deciding whether it works for him and if not he finds what does work for him. That is what can set him apart.
I'm sure the next 6 months will be even more hardcore, it will be exciting to see what he can do.
These guys all really deserve to go to the games, I'm bummed for everyone that didn't make it especially since they dedicated so much time to it. Personally I think the two event system is ideal, everything was laid on the line over two events, all the U.S. teams were 110% fully prepared in sailing ability, spare parts (even spare boats!). At the end of the day, the best team came out on top.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/15/16 01:46 PM

lol
Originally Posted by rehmbo
Clearly I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Not seeing any N17 sailing... frown

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/16/16 03:39 PM

Interesting that the top ranked US teams coming out of the trials process aren't catsailors (born/raised), but are converts from other disciplines, with cat experience ranging from a few months to several years. Time will tell if they can pull it together and medal, but this turns conventional wisdom around a bit.

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/16/16 04:48 PM

I don't think it is that surprising. Bora is one of, if not the most, talented apparent wind sailors in the US. Lots of 49er, Melges 24, and Moth experience, plus some time with Luna Rossa. He is a pro, and probably has much more cumulative time on the water than anyone else (aside from maybe Mendelblatt). I really don't think the catamaran aspect is all that important.

Similar things could be side about the Mendelblatts- huge amounts of high level racing experience including two Olympics for Mark. It could be argued that Mark adapted less well to the fast boat after years of Lasers and Stars.

Most of the other teams, and I have huge amounts of respect for all of them, really don't have the experience of those two, and I think ultimately it showed. Mike and Katie got very close, and who knows if the trials had been a few days longer or if Katie's knee was healthy.

Congrats to all who put everything on the line for a chance to represent their country.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/16/16 08:22 PM

Agreed. It's just an interesting development, and goes against what lots of folks here have traditionally thought.

Probably the key difference is coming from fast apparent wind boats (is that redundant?). We tend to cringe when a monohull sailor tries a leebow tack on a cat...

Mike

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 02/16/16 11:07 PM

Jeff, I second your congratulations to all of the players over the cycle.

A bit of history on this catamaran background thing being important... Dean Brenner was the Olympic director when the Tornado was the OPEN olympic boat. Dean's philosophy was based on the same notion that you spoke of... Catamaran experience was irrelevant. What you needed was great sailors who were committed to Olympic competition.... It was a 6 month learning curve to get one of these sailors up to speed on an Olympic class and they would be the best sailor in the class in the US... and then be positioned to move up the ISAF world ranks. Dean used the Johnny can Charlie story as evidence for this philosophy... In his conversation with me... after Randy S retired.... Johnny, Charlie, Lars and 4 or 5 other College All American sailors started in the Tornado Class. The coach em up strategy/ every team for themselves was implemented... Well... it took a bit longer... 8 years and some exclusive technology assistance... and they got a Silver.... but... the next 4 years did not go well and the next technology flyer failed completely and they finished DFL. After Weymouth... The US concluded that the coach em up strategy was a failure...

Josh Adams was tasked with building something that looked more like the rest of the worlds. The plan would take at least 8 years... BUT... The hope for the 2016 quad for the US was that New Classes (N17S AND Womans FX) historically favored the US because we could get up to speed sooner then the world.

I look at these results as strong evidence that the coach em up strategy IS a total failure.

The Mendelblatts ARE Olympic Caliber Sailors, who know how to campaign...and use coaching.... Bottom line.. 4 years training... usual finish in the 20s. I would conclude that coaching up an olympic level displacement sailor takes... at least 8 years... just like it took Johnny and Charlie, Lars etc.

Gulliari is a another successful world class sailor... but with lots of apparent wind experience... So... in the two years of his coach em up experience... he manages a thirty something finish and backs into the slot. Moreover, he declares that there is a lot for him to learn with 5 months to go.... ... I conclude that even taking a world class apparent wind sailor and trying the coach em up approach is a failure.

Final point on the failure of the coach em up approach.. is Bundy's experience in the 49ner... When the T and Open was dropped... Bundy tried to switch to the 49ner for AUS and it was a failure.
The coach em up approach just doesn't work!

Now... the rest of the world.. shows us that training EARLY in catamarans is a key to being able to win on the world stage..that seems to be the backgound of a lot of the top 10 teams. (Hell Waterhouse and Phipps are spawn of ELITE cat sailor).

My take home... Those of us in the rank and file simply have to reach out and get top junior racers in our regions some early exposure to catamaran racing.. Mentor them as they cross train in cats while dinking around in 420s in college and HOPE that US Sailing can hire some great coaches. Not the same as the rest of the world... but it may be our only option.

So.... ask me about running a TRY IT OUT clinic in your area... We will see if we can make this American hybrid solution work!

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 03/29/16 08:31 PM

Looks like some improvement for team Gulari/Chafee

http://www.trofeoprincesasofia.org/en/default/races/race-resultsall

[Linked Image]

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 03/30/16 12:55 PM

Nice!

Mike
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 03/30/16 01:49 PM

Word on the street is that Randy Smyth has been coaching them ...

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 03/31/16 11:34 PM

After 12 races, hanging in 14th place. They've been consistently inconsistent, but staying in the top half.

Besson is unstoppable again.

Mike
Posted By: tshan

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 04/01/16 08:16 PM

Bullet in race #15. Wow.

Re: USA gets a Nacra 17 slot for RIO!! - 04/01/16 10:07 PM

And a 3 in race 13, up to 12th overall now. Sweet!

Mike
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums