Catsailor.com

views on Getaway

Posted By: Anonymous

views on Getaway - 06/22/01 11:49 PM

Anyone have any real experience on the new Hobie Getaway?
<br>
<br>I am new to this Forum. I've been unable to get a Getaway demo so far. I've heard mixed views. I'd love to hear views (especially comparisons with other boats like H16, H14T) from members here. I have a H14-turbo for inland (trailored) recreational sailing. I have a strict 17 foot length storage limit (hence interest in the Getaway which just fits with rudders off). I'm looking for something much newer and at least as fast as the H14T. I'm a little nervous of the huge bouyancy of the Getway and the lower (than H14T) sail-area/weight ratio will make it a fairly slow boat. My sailing is mostly solo or duo. All thoughts and comments welcome. Thanks.
<br>
<br>Good sailing!
<br>
<br>Nigel
<br>
<br><br><br>
Posted By: mmiller

Re: views on Getaway - 06/25/01 08:41 PM

You cannot compare it to a 14. The Getaway has about the same performance as the 16. In sail testing we compared and switched sailors and compared again. The Getaway will have better performance than the 16 when more crew weight is added. <br><br>Matt Miller
<br>mmiller@hobieco.com
<br>Hobie Cat Company

Attached File
221-  (35 downloads)
Posted By: ssyba

Re: views on Getaway - 06/25/01 09:00 PM

I have owned and sailed a Getaway for about 2.5 months now. Love it!!! It is my first boat to own and I had sailed a H16 around 6 times before (pitchpoling 3 of them). Reasons I bought the getaway: 1) can fit 6 people comfortably (w/o wings) 2) sets up in 15-25 min 3) boomless (safety) 4) BUILT IN COOLERS
<br>So far I have not been disappointed in speed. When the wind has been blowing, we hauled. When it wasn't we floated. I must admit that in light light wind (<5mph) the H16 seem to do much better, but we usually have 3 more people on the boat..... plus nothing is very fun in light light wind anyway.
<br>If you are going to sail solo most of the time, what about a Hobie Wave?
<br>
<br>So to sum it up, zero complaints about the Getaway.
<br>
<br>-scott<br><br>Ssyba
<br>'01 Hobie Getaway

Attached File
223-  (32 downloads)
Posted By: sail-s

Re: views on Getaway - 06/25/01 10:44 PM

I just wanted to to add that the Getaway has a PN of 80 and the H16 has a PN of 76.1. The Getaway is considerably slower than the H16 in all conditions. I have sailed a Getaway and I am planning on buying one for my sailing school or maybe the wave. I like the Wave because it is a great solo and kids boat. I like the Getaway because it can carry a load, but when it comes to speed the Getaway does not have it.<br><br>
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums