Catsailor.com

New Capricorn Delievered to Builders

Posted By: taipanfc

New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 07/22/09 05:45 AM

Not too many details as only just arrived at the builder in Batam. But stern section has been flattened out and the rear beam has been raised. Sure to be other changes, but that's all i know at this stage.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 07/22/09 09:15 AM

Front beam will be moved aft a bit as well. The new boat will look a little more Viper from what I was told some time ago.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 07/22/09 12:14 PM

Pics?

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 07/23/09 02:24 AM

None yet. On a different island and nation from me.
Posted By: HJS

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 07/25/09 02:08 AM

Just spoken to AHPC, and they are NOT building a new Capricorn!!
Posted By: Dazz

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 07/25/09 04:44 AM

LOL Snapped!!!

taipanfc are you sure it wasn't the new 20 to replace the I20???

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 07/26/09 02:51 AM

My source is correct. New Capricorn moulds delivered for build.
Posted By: MitchB

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 07/27/09 05:35 AM

Wow.. interesting HJS!

gotta say... I am fairly certain that they are building a new boat! Who did you speak to? I have heard from Greg Goodall's mouth "we have new Capricorn moulds in production after what we have learnt from the original Capricorn and now the Viper"
Posted By: JFR

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 08/01/09 11:17 AM

Any more information on hull design? Flattened stern they say but how about the rest? Do we think it will follow wild-cat thinking?

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/28/09 09:56 AM

Attached picture Cap 1.jpg
Attached picture Cap 2.jpg
Attached picture Cap 3.jpg

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/28/09 09:59 AM

Attached picture Cap 4.jpg
Attached picture Cap 5.jpg

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/29/09 02:28 AM

Hmmm. After starting this thread about a new Capricorn coming, HJS was adamant there wasn't, even to the stage of sending me lots of PMs telling me it was all untrue!
Posted By: Bajan_Bum

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/29/09 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by taipanfc
Hmmm. After starting this thread about a new Capricorn coming, HJS was adamant there wasn't, even to the stage of sending me lots of PMs telling me it was all untrue!

Is it a new Capricorn, or is it a new F18? HJS might still be right.

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/29/09 07:28 AM

I think a new F18 from AHPC will always be seen as a replacement to the Capricorn. Can't see them producing Capricorn and another F18 in tandem.

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/29/09 11:11 AM

As above... It's not a new Capricorn! It's a new F18!

Hobie still make the Tiger don't they?
Posted By: John Williams

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/29/09 03:23 PM

The Capricorn will still be in production after the new boat comes out.
Posted By: Baltic

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/31/09 12:19 PM

Hi John - how do you know? And if you are right and both boats remain in production, this only would make sense if the new F18 is at a considerable different (probably higher) price than the Capricorn. Like the Wildcat is much more expensive than the Tiger - which here in Germany nevertheless fades out of the regatta fields ...

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/31/09 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams

I heard a rumor that the mold might be sold to a 3rd party who will resume production.

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/31/09 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
Originally Posted by John Williams

I heard a rumor that the mold might be sold to a 3rd party who will resume production.

I heard a rumour Greg Goodall is sub-contracting the sails and rig to somebody else......NOT

If your going to throw 'rumours' around then provide a source!

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 10/31/09 11:37 PM

I wont say who told me obviously, but I will tell you that is was a VERY reliable person.

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/07/09 08:27 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/08/09 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by HJS
Just spoken to AHPC, and they are NOT building a new Capricorn!!

SO new F18 from AHPC called the C2 officially unveiled at the Paris Boat Show. Guess "your" information is not really correct.

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/08/09 12:56 PM

Since when does C2 spell Capricorn?

Ask Brett and Greg from AHPC. They decided on the C2 as it still linked with the Capricorn, WITHOUT being called Capricorn....
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/08/09 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by HJS
Since when does C2 spell Capricorn?

Ask Brett and Greg from AHPC. They decided on the C2 as it still linked with the Capricorn, WITHOUT being called Capricorn....

Really, semantics? So if the post was, AHPC is building a new F18, your reply would have been different?

I'll put this one on the list with the claim that you can be competitve at 400lbs (181 Kilos) on a Viper.

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/08/09 04:01 PM

You guys are getting ruffled over nothing. There IS a new Capricorn design with the flattened stern and raised rear beam. It is going to be built in South America, and I'm of the understanding that it was originally what AHPC were going to be offering as well. At some point Greg and Brett decided to go in another direction altogether, and they designed the C2 based on their experience with the Capricorn and the Viper. The C2 is wholly their own design now, and not a Fisher boat.

So, is there a new Cap? Yes. Is the C2 the boat that was under discussion? Not really - though the original post in the thread was accurate regarding changes in the 2010 Capricorn, the C2 is a new animal. Like Hobie, AHPC now has two F18s on the market.
Posted By: Chris9

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/08/09 08:14 PM

from what you wrote John sounds like there are three f18s from AHPC....

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/08/09 10:20 PM

Only two in production for 2010, as far as I know... did I miss another memo?
Posted By: CatSailingHu

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/08/09 11:11 PM

a few other pictures form Paris here:

http://www.catsailing.hu/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=31&page=2

the new cap and others.

Posted By: F18arg

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/09/09 12:28 PM

Is not that complicated.

As John said, a modified version of the original Capricorn is being built in Argentina (basically raised rear beam mod only, pics soon)

The C2 is the new F18 from AHPC, resembles the Cap? yes , as the Wildcat and Infusion did.
All boats are converging in a common gral proven shape which the original Cap help to stablish.

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/09/09 07:35 PM

Thanks, CatSailingHu, at last some really illustrative photographs. Is the show in Paris worth the trip from Hungary? I'm considering Düsseldorf (which is a much shorter distance to travel for me) in January, but I'm not sure yet ...
Kai

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/09/09 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Baltic
Thanks, CatSailingHu, at last some really illustrative photographs. Is the show in Paris worth the trip from Hungary? I'm considering Düsseldorf (which is a much shorter distance to travel for me) in January, but I'm not sure yet ...
Kai

Any information on C2 prices? (€)
I like how they moved the mast-rotation from the boom to the mastbase, that should stop people from snagging their lifejacket behind it.
Dusseldorf is not worth the trip if you want to see beachcats, I only go to buy cheap kitesurfing gear and stare at the megayachts.
Posted By: CatSailingHu

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/11/09 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Baltic
Kai

I had also other business to go in Paris (F18 wc meeting). So as I was just 1km from the show, it was logical to visit, but I do not think I would travel from Budapest just for the boatshow.

I was happy to see the Volvo 40, the wild cat and the new cap.

The new cap is really nice. The carbon daggerboars and rudder blades looks great, and yes, the mast rotator/mast foot also a nice development.

They changed to separate tack line for the spi, and there is an interesting auto relase solution for the tack line, check
this above the tramp

[Linked Image]

and under

[Linked Image]

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/14/09 11:42 AM

Check out http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/chantier/video/2597/video-voile-cata-de-sport-c2-l-excellence-en-f18
Great Video of AHPC new C2 at the Paris boat show..... Even better if you can speak French!!
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/14/09 03:46 PM

Thank you for posting that. I enjoyed it.

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/15/09 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by CatSailingHu

They changed to separate tack line for the spi, and there is an interesting auto relase solution for the tack line.

I am a big fan of the one line halyard-/tack line-system: very convenient and less clutter on the deck. What may have made them to return to the standard solution?

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/15/09 11:12 AM

Can set at shyer angles
Reduced chance of jamming, halyard twisting or double pulley failure
More control over set. ie can let out required halyard or tack line without doing both at the same time.

Can you tell I am a fan of it. grin

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/15/09 02:42 PM

Interview with Brett Goodall:
http://www.ahpc.com.au/News/C2InterviewBGoodall.html
Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 12/21/09 12:00 AM

First photos of the C2 testing at http://www.ahpc.com.au/Index.html with more to come!!!

Thought you might be interested.
Posted By: iMax

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 01/05/10 08:23 AM

please refer to this link for some new C2 pictures and first impressions of french dealer who was lucky enough to sail the C2.
Posted By: iMax

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 01/05/10 08:24 AM

now including the link. sorry..

http://catsailingnews.blogspot.com/
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: New Capricorn Delievered to Builders - 01/05/10 04:32 PM

Boy...after that review I am really anxious to find a C2 to sail against. I like the way my boat sails downwind. It will be interesting to see how a C2 compares in the same conditions.

Later,
Dan
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums