Catsailor.com

Worlds ...

Posted By: Baltic

Worlds ... - 12/14/13 09:01 PM

2015 in Kiel, Germany; 2016 in Argentina
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Worlds ... - 12/14/13 10:48 PM

I take it that you are referring to what was being discussed at the F18 WC meeting?
Kiel is only a 4h drive, perfect! smile

Dec 14 Agenda:
http://www.f18-international.org/2013/11/newsletter-no-4-november-2013.html
Posted By: Baltic

Re: Worlds ... - 12/22/13 07:00 PM

According to my information, it's not only discussed but firmly decided.
Drop me a note if you indeed plan to come - I'm a local and treasurer of the german CA.

Kai

Re: Worlds ... - 03/23/14 04:17 PM

Only 10 registered entries so far?
Is that right or have all entries not been processed yet?
http://2014.f18worlds.com/entrants/
Posted By: RParentsail

Re: Worlds ... - 03/24/14 02:41 PM

Charters are very expensive there this year and I haven't heard of any containers leaving the US so I would be surprised to see any American teams register.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Worlds ... - 03/25/14 12:06 AM

I suspect the venue may scare some folk off. you will want to be on your game at the boat ramp! the media coverage from the event will be interesting to see smile

here are a couple of pix from around the club

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: Worlds ... - 03/28/14 04:08 PM

Between Italy and Ireland I've probably sent 50+ emails, messages, PMs, etc, trying to find charters. Unfortunately, what I found was going to be ~$5000 for the week, and that just isn't going to happen on a grad student budget. A lot of the top US teams (not all) are younger, and we can't afford a $10000 regatta. A container is tough because the Euros keep scheduling Worlds in the middle of the summer- they could care less if we are there. I wrote the amendment to the International F18 rules that stated that the Worlds needed to be outside Europe once every three years. It passed with unanimous votes, but has already been ignored with Italy, Ireland, and Germany all in a row.... go figure

Re: Worlds ... - 03/28/14 04:10 PM

That said, if someone needed a crew I would be there
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Worlds ... - 03/28/14 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff.Dusek
Between Italy and Ireland I've probably sent 50+ emails, messages, PMs, etc, trying to find charters. Unfortunately, what I found was going to be ~$5000 for the week, and that just isn't going to happen on a grad student budget. A lot of the top US teams (not all) are younger, and we can't afford a $10000 regatta. A container is tough because the Euros keep scheduling Worlds in the middle of the summer- they could care less if we are there. I wrote the amendment to the International F18 rules that stated that the Worlds needed to be outside Europe once every three years. It passed with unanimous votes, but has already been ignored with Italy, Ireland, and Germany all in a row.... go figure

5K is out of reach of the old and employed full time too Jeff and I'm dual income no kids.

Getting the Euros to share the wealth is tough Jeff but at least there is one bargaining chip on the books and good on you guys for that.

Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Worlds ... - 03/28/14 10:15 PM

Hmmm only 10 boats signed up thus far. Maybe you're not the only one with budget and schedule challenges.

100% agree with you. Anything with a 4 digit price tag + 4 digit travel expense is way out of my league.
Posted By: Dermot

Re: Worlds ... - 04/02/14 08:26 PM

I would point out that the above photos were taken during a combination of high tides and a winter storm. This winter Ireland has had the worst coastal flooding in living memory. In Summer in Ballyholme, the prevailing wind should be offshore with flat seas. I have not sailed F18 since my Dart Hawk days, so will not be involved.
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Worlds ... - 04/18/14 07:45 PM

Matt and Taylor are registered from the U.S. I also know of another team that might be doing the event from the U.S.

I will say in both instances the charter fee isn't likely the retail rate. Like Dave, dual-income, no children, this level of traveling is becoming unjustifiable. I would reconsider the event if a Mk. 2 Infusion platform was available at cost to get to the event, and we supplied our own sails. Surely this could be done for less than $2K, and housing found that was reasonable for the week. Still looking at a $5K event, but that's much more reasonable than a $10K deal.

Posted By: RParentsail

Re: Worlds ... - 04/20/14 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by samc99us
Matt and Taylor are registered from the U.S. I also know of another team that might be doing the event from the U.S.

I will say in both instances the charter fee isn't likely the retail rate. Like Dave, dual-income, no children, this level of traveling is becoming unjustifiable. I would reconsider the event if a Mk. 2 Infusion platform was available at cost to get to the event, and we supplied our own sails. Surely this could be done for less than $2K, and housing found that was reasonable for the week. Still looking at a $5K event, but that's much more reasonable than a $10K deal.

$5k event for just a charter fee and plane ticket to the venue.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Worlds ... - 04/21/14 04:31 AM

The charter costs and travel fees have Team Capricorn on the not going list. Even the Aussie teams are backing out.
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Worlds ... - 04/21/14 08:02 PM

Ravi,

Not arguing that $5K is steep for an event, but there are 9 North American boats registered for Catacup and after airfare and food that event is easily $5K per team.

I'll also add the issue with charters is the manufacturers still have to get their boats to Ireland, and I think that is why registration has turned somewhat poor. I looked in detail at getting a boat from Texel Island to Ireland and it was 16+ hours and 3 ferry trips later. Round Texel is a huge European event and I'm sure people are weighing the $1k+ cost of getting their boats to Ireland carefully.

Re: Worlds ... - 04/29/14 05:31 PM

The organizers of the 2014 Worlds would like to know of any teams planning to attend but haven't registered. Let me know.

Re: Worlds ... - 06/03/14 12:15 PM

From what I hear around me not many people are planning on going, logistics (time+cost) and uncertain weather conditions seem to be the biggest hurdles.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums