Catsailor.com

Need Advice on Painting Hobie 16...(FeedBak Pls!)

Posted By: Anonymous

Need Advice on Painting Hobie 16...(FeedBak Pls!) - 07/14/03 09:07 PM

If anybody out there had ever totally SAndeD down the HObIe 16 hulls down to the very last layer of the paint.

I need Some Help... I jUst Totally SanDed both My HulLs, And i Need To KnO WhAt KinD Of PainT I ShOulD Buy?? to paint it.. Can'T get It Professionally DonE, Cause i Have No Cash

Is TherE AnY MeTaLiC PAinT THat I CouLD BuY?? to Get That SpARkLinG LooK To ThE bOat.??
The BoAt Had SomE DamAge when it Was Purchased LasT Year(long storY)... pls give me your ideas guys..

thx

PyRo

Re: Need Advice on Painting Hobie 16...(FeedBak Pls!) - 09/22/03 03:25 AM

Try not to use paint.Your hobie finish is gel coat and should remain that.Dont be afraid of gel coat its user friendly and cheaper. If you want more info email me fiasco@terranova.net

Re: Need Advice on Painting Hobie 16...(FeedBak Pls!) - 10/08/03 06:04 PM

I restored my hulls (made in 1978) which also had extensive hull damage. Sand the hulls to 200 grit. Use bondo or bondo putty to cover all of the fiberglass. This is really important.

I sprayed the hull with gel coat which comes out with an orange peel finish. this can be cleaned up by sanding with 100, then 220, then 600 wet dry, 1600 wet dry, polishing with rubbing compound, then fiberglass finish, and waxing and buffing. It will come out factory finish if you follow the steps.

Not alot of expense but lots of sweat equity.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums