Catsailor.com

Bow tang broken broken !

Posted By: flying_dutchman

Bow tang broken broken ! - 05/26/14 02:36 PM

Last weekend we were just about to set our spi (16-18 Kn Wind..) when the leeward bow tang snapped. Only crew standing in trapeze no really harm done...

Ashore I checked the other one which showed cracks as well.
Intend to replace both - after all the lasted > 2 decades crazy But friends told me this seems to be rather "common" for Hobie 16 with spi. By the way: original Hobie so only approx 17 m2

Anybody suggestions? Should I replace them just out of precaution and when yes how often ? Must admit still sailing at least March - October and do fancy some more wind laugh
After all those years and regular crewing on other cats (F18) I still think nothing beats a Hobie 16 grin

De even consider replacing the bow tang by some other device but have not worked something out yet

Will try to upload picture later
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: Bow tang broken broken ! - 05/31/14 01:11 AM

Was the break purely due to fatigue, or was there some corrosion contributing to the break?

Posted By: mmiller

Re: Bow tang broken broken ! - 06/02/14 04:28 PM

after all the lasted > 2 decades crazy But friends told me this seems to be rather "common" for Hobie 16 with spi.

2 decades? Most things don't last two decades!

Add a higher load spinnaker to a 20 year old boat with directional loads not designed into the tang too... No wonder they think it's common.
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Bow tang broken broken ! - 06/02/14 04:29 PM

after all the lasted > 2 decades crazy But friends told me this seems to be rather "common" for Hobie 16 with spi.

2 decades? Most things don't last two decades!

Add a higher load spinnaker to a 20 year old boat, with directional loads not designed into the tang... No wonder they think it's common.

Re: Bow tang broken broken ! - 06/12/14 07:23 AM

No corrosion or damage visible - just broke. Cutting edge showed nothing. Making it very difficult to predict when replacement is necessary !

Do agree the spi is european addition and although it's a relatively small (17 m2?) one it adds even more fun to Hobie 16 sailing ...
However did some research and found this breaking bow tangs more often happening than expected - also on Hobie 16 without a spi - even on a Wave recently.

So my remaining questions are:

should I replace the parts (both simultaneously of course)just out of precaution and when yes what seems to be good interval period?

Any alternatives available? Custom made stainless steel strip with 2 holes would do the job, bow tips have been reinforced with special "shoes" already. On the other hand: it is a known "weak" spot now. Who knows what can happen otherwise?

Re: Bow tang broken broken ! - 08/01/14 06:54 AM

Just for information:
I found replacement bow tangs which are at least 2x thicker ! I'll replace both items just as precaution. grin
Fellow H16 spi users at our club and also nearby club take same action - also on Wave with spi!
[will upload pictures later]

And now for something completely different:
Although saling with spi some years now I have just recently been told my spi doesn't open up aft as it should. confused
Did some test by moving the block to aft. About mid tramp gave amazing improvement: better control, speed and able to sail higher !! :DCan start using spi sooner now.
So still learning but occaisionally you need some help. blush
By the way: seems newer original Hobie spi is cut more flat so does not need moving of the blocks to aft ??
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums