Catsailor.com

Warm up weekend

Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Warm up weekend - 09/01/09 11:37 AM

This coming weekend is our training, warm-up social weekend at Hazelwood Pondage.

There will be both onshore and on water activity. On shore there will be a lot of boat tuning and talk. Also some boat measuring (handy for anyone going to the Nationals as only measured boats will be able to enter this year). On the water will be a chance to sail boat-on-boat and also swap boats. On Sunday afternoon (1pm I believe) LVYC will be running one or two races that we can join in.

We will camp in the usual spot just behind the LVYC clubhouse, and probably head in to Morwell for dinner on Saturday night.

The weekend will run from midday Saturday until after the racing on Sunday, the only scheduled activity being the LVYC racing on Sunday.

Myself and Mick will be there, and Nic Maan will probably be launching his brand new Mosquito. Who else is coming?
Posted By: Nic M

Re: Warm up weekend - 09/01/09 11:54 AM

I will be there.......with the new boat for the start of the learning process.
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: Warm up weekend - 09/01/09 01:10 PM

i like to go but no boat to tune as yet
Posted By: Brian P

Re: Warm up weekend - 09/02/09 02:43 AM

cant, sorry guys building weapons of mass destruction in broken hill, uranium mine
Posted By: Petern

Re: Warm up weekend - 09/02/09 07:51 AM

I will be there,the weather is looking good and with light wind
Posted By: Peter_Lyons

Re: Warm up weekend - 09/02/09 10:32 AM

I started packing tonight and plan to be there at lunch time on Saturday.
Posted By: Peter_Lyons

Re: Warm up weekend - 09/07/09 02:10 AM

Thanks to all of the guys for an enjoyable and informative weekend.

After rigging and a spot of maintenance on Saturday it was time to go sailing. Most of the time was spent sailing to the downwind mark, bunching into a group and then sailing the length of the pond to windward. This allowed me to compare my boat speed, pointing and handling against several boats. Prior to each beat to windward I would make adjustments to my rig looking for an improvement. In some cases I stopped half way along the beat for another adjustment before continuing. It was a lot easier to try different settings than while racing as there was nothing to lose.

With light winds on Sunday morning I was able to lay the boat on its side and look at the sail shape. Much discussion was had regarding settings and shapes for different conditions. This was then put into practice with a Sunday morning sail as the wind filled in. During this session Andrew Neeson followed me and gave good feedback on how the sail looked with different settings. This was great as you get a much better view of the leech from this position.

Unfortunately due to work commitments I had to leave at lunchtime and was not able to race in the afternoon. I am looking forward to my next race as I feel I have improved my boat setup and have more confidence that the setup is correct. Thanks again to all involved.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums