Catsailor.com

Nats 2012

Posted By: Simon_Hallsworth

Nats 2012 - 01/12/11 10:37 AM

Hi All,
I can confirm that the next years nats have been confirmed for Rivoli Bay Sailing Club - South End. Dates are 2nd - 7th Jan.
The Sailing club is chasing up with the caravan park for use of the camping grounds adjacent to the club (council run through the caravan park) but should be available.

Will post more info as we get it.

Cheers,
Simon
Posted By: Jethrow

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/13/11 08:36 AM

Sorry, I googled it and got some place in Italy. Is this in South Oz?
Posted By: Got Wood

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/13/11 10:21 AM

Yes, South Australia, google South End.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/13/11 10:58 AM

I'm a regular visitor there, it's at the Southern end of Rivolli Bay on the Northern end is Beachport, the club rooms are impressive, non sailors can sit on the balcony of the two story clubrooms at the top of the small cliff and get a perfect view, this photo was taken off the balcony during a race and thats Beachport in the back ground, the people are all friendly, if the weathers rough they set a course close to shore

Attached picture Rivoli Bay.jpg
Posted By: mitchellsailor

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/13/11 12:27 PM

yehoo!!
Posted By: furr_ball

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/13/11 01:02 PM

Looks beautiful, just got directions from Google maps.

2082 km and google says 1 day 1 hour, may get a few tickets doing it in that time frame.

Not sure if the Delica can go that fast......

Could be a starter though as the timing works, will see later in year.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/15/11 12:47 AM

Hey looks good smile ,

just need to develop some kelp cutting centreboards and rudders wink going on reports from last Nats held there, seriously is it allways a problem or subject to bad weather moving it around confused .

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/15/11 01:28 AM

Wifey asks how far from caravan park sites with facilities to the yacht club?
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/15/11 02:44 AM

From memory, the club is at the red X, and the sand-dune camping is at the green X. I think we had to drag the boats up the road to the camping area at the end of each day.

Lynnies and the Tourist park are the only accommodation I can find.

From Lynnies to the club is about 200m.

Attached picture southend.jpg
Posted By: Brian P

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/15/11 04:53 AM

hi gary, both myself and jeff will be sailing at robe next sunday, i will let you know on the weed kelp situation next week.
cheers

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/15/11 08:06 AM

I've sailed there a lot in the last couple of years and never had to raise the boards for any seaweed at all. I don't think kelp could grow there but after a big storm it could potentially wash in from out to sea. Maybe in winter or late April it could be an issue. The red X does mark the spot. Book early for Lynnies just a stagger to your room or tent, not that the caravan park is that far. If you want luxury accomodation theres some nice rooms in Beachport just a bit of a drive each day.
Posted By: Evan S

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/17/11 02:33 PM

Hi Everyone, I'm a member of Rivoli Bay SC and am happy to answer any questions about the 2012 National Titles.
Thank you Simon and the Mosquito Association for the opportunity to host the titles.
As far as kelp/seaweed, it is very rare to see any floating around in the bay where we sail. In saying that, this year has been very different in weather and have got a little blow in. But in saying that, in a race you might only have to dodge one or two pieces.
We have a Tasar regatta being held this coming weekend and if I get time I'll go down to the 2 accomodation places and inform them of what is going to hit them in Jan 2012. Lynnies have always helped us out and if you get in early they may hold the place exclusive for the Mosquito's. If we have the grassed area on the North side of the raod for boats then you could also camp there, but there is no toilets or showers there you would have to walk to the club house for that, roughly 150-200 metres.
I will be checking this forum from time to time or send us an email on rivolibaysc@gmail.com for any enquiries.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/19/11 05:53 AM

Hi Evan,

thanks for the reply, only brought up the kelp as it was mentioned after last Nats held at your club, I was not there to see what it was like. Sounds like should be OK.

This Lynnies, sounds interesting, allways good fun if you can get most of the fleet staying in the one place like we did at Mannering Park last year. Where would we keep boats if we stay at Lynnies?

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/19/11 09:32 AM

Hi Gary,
Lynnies has only a few cabins and a bunkhouse. They also have a camping ground. It's not real big so would easily book out. The boats could be kept on the grassed area north of the club and I'm sure there would be some people camping there also which would stop any unwanted visitors, not that we would have too many being a very small country town.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/19/11 10:12 AM

A lot of us camped in that area north of the club last time and would probably want to do so again, so is there someone we need to contact about that to book it?

I would definitely want to camp there again if possible.
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/20/11 06:45 AM

im in if camping there

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/20/11 06:51 AM

I will speak to the caravan park and find out availability and cost. Hopefully we can book it for the week exclusively.
We have a regatta on this weekend so hopefully will have a chance to pop in a talk to them.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/22/11 08:40 AM

Hi all,

have been doing some investigation. Lynnies only have 5 camp sites left and Neil said it can be very hot as it is well sheltered.

So I have decided to follow Peter N to the beach, he has a onsite van at Southend Caravan Park and I have booked powered sites for myself and Joiners. "Cost is $28.00 p/n for 2/p extras cost $7.00 each they are aprox 400 mtres to club".

This is the info the park sent me re sites closest to club, "are unpowered and cost $22.00 p/n for 2/p and extras cost $7.00 each p/n they are 100 mtres to club. you will need to book by april and have your deposit in by sept 30th this year as it is very busy at that time", I believe there are no close amenities either.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/24/11 10:03 AM

I just spoke to Lynnies, and yes there are only a few powered sites left. There are also beds in the bunkhouse and some cabins left.
We are looking at holding the Presentation dinner there in the function room which has an ajoining kitchen and more room than the clubhouse if there are a good number of people coming.
It being a coastal town it cools off at night and is usually 8-10 degrees cooler than Mount Gambier on a hot day.
The boats will be parked within 120 metres from Lynnies and 50 metres north of the club. You can camp next to your boat by booking through the main council caravan park, but there are no amenities there you will have to use the clubhouse.
Get your booking in quick as this is the busy time of the year.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/25/11 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by thricebitten
Hi all,

"are unpowered and cost $22.00 p/n for 2/p and extras cost $7.00 each p/n they are 100 mtres to club. you will need to book by april and have your deposit in by sept 30th this year as it is very busy at that time"

Any chance you could provide the contact details for the camp ground near the club, I would like to come to Nats and will book now while still working out the logistics.

Tried to google it but came up with little.

Cheers,

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/25/11 03:47 AM

The website and info on the bush camping with your boat is: http://www.southendcaravanpark.com.au/index.htm

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/25/11 05:16 AM

Hey there,

OK just had a good chat to Kerry at Southend Caravan park.
All the ground either side of sailing club is their area and there are some limits to what will work.

She would love it if there was a co-ordinated effort and someone? contacted her to discuss which areas we are thinking of using as it may not be the same as before due to some reckless behaviour by others at some stage.
The bushland area requires you to have a toilet as people have been using the bush and this has contributed to the problem as there are houses here.

I have just booked a site in the 'foreshore' area which gives you access to the showers etc, Southend are now expecting more sailors and can give us some more sites at the clubhouse end of this area if people want them.
From this end you can bring your boat back up to the campsite apparently.

Hey I'm no local, very far from it, but this is what I am being told.

Hope this helps for anyone else going, see you in 2012...now I'm excited.

Cheers,

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/25/11 07:12 AM

Thanks for that Furr_ball,
you guys are jumping us a little on all this. I have someone at the club that will be speaking to the caravan park in the next couple of days. We have just finished a regatta and the dust hasn't settled from all that.
Brad (Vice Commodore) is going to speak to Kerry about usage of the land around the club soon.
We are going to hold a committee meeting soon to cordinate our efforts towards the Mossie Nats and then will inform you of what we have worked out.
What I have metioned so far is only from past experianced regattas and these issues haven't been worked out yet for the Mossies.
Please stay tuned and I will let you know asap.
We want to host a hassle free, smooth regatta that everyone can enjoy.
Cheers

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/26/11 09:31 AM

Hi Evan,

I guess our eagerness, comes from recent experiences where many Mossie sailors couldn't get to stay where they wanted as they didn't book early enough. Don't mean to cause your club any hassles and frankly didn't expect that the club would be involved in organising camping, most don't. Greatly appreciate that your club is trying to help out.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/26/11 09:36 AM

Hi all,

the follwing is a second reply to a earlier email inquiry I made. First time I was told only five sites available.

"Further to your inquiry for the sailing championships in 2012, after doing some checking we have been able to juggle some bookings to later dates we are now able to offer you the whole park . Please could you let us know the nominated contact person and a contact phone number.
We thank you for your inquiry and look forward to being of service.
Regards lynnies
08 87 356 200 "

Does anybody want to do anything with this? As I have previously posted, I have already booked at Southend Caravan Park.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/26/11 10:17 PM

Hey Evan,

Not trying to jump you guys, just making sure can get a site, appreciate your assistance.

Rough guess would be 30 plus boats coming and probably same number of sites or accommodation required. Plus all the extra people as well, better fill the beer fridge.......

The information was sites fill up as it is a busy time and I have along way to come, did not want to be out in some faraway paddock.

Cheers, Drew

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/27/11 12:21 AM

Thank you guys, I am blown away with all the enthusiasm. smile The accommodation is up to the individual yes, we are in the process of asking the council for the use of the land to park all the boats off the beach, otherwise the boats would have to stay on the beach which isn't as good.
We are asking for permission to store the boats as well as allow some people to camp with the boats which would add to the security. Hence the slight involvement in accommodation organizing.
I see Lynnies have emptied the whole park for you guys, WOW, Lynnies has helped out the sailors time and time again.
With the activity room and social BBQ area you can't go wrong.
Cheers
Evan

Re: Nats 2012 - 02/03/11 12:19 AM

Hi everyone,
Rivoli Bay just held a committee meeting in regards to the Mossie Nats. We are happy to say Lynnies are fully available for the Mossie accomodation, so when you ring just inform her that your with the mossies.
We are still waiting confirmation from the Council for the grassed area Nth of the club but 99% sure it will be ok. Will inform you when it comes through.
There are other options for accomodation as in houses in Southend and Motel/hotel in Beachport (12mins away) and Millicent (20mins away).
Cheers
Posted By: Brian P

Re: Nats 2012 - 02/03/11 12:45 AM

hi gary , tim and all other mossie crew, we sailed last weekend at robe, which is the next bay north of southend, and it was absolutely brilliant, flat water, constant breeze around 12-17 knots, very little weed kelp etc, i did have to dodge about a dozen pieces in a 20 nautical mile race and lift one rudder once to remove tape weed. you couldnt ask for more perfect conditions to sail in. im sure youll enjoy it!!!
Posted By: Simon_Hallsworth

Re: Nats 2012 - 02/08/11 11:35 AM

Hi All, I was slightly out with the starting date... frown
The start date is actually the 1st Jan. Format will be something like:
1st - Measuring pm
2nd - Measuing am; invitation race pm
3rd - Racing
4th - Racing
5th - Reserve Day
6th - Racing
7th - Racing am; Presentation pm

Hope this doesn't screw too many of you around. Apologies for posting incorrect date to start with.

Re: Nats 2012 - 04/07/11 08:58 AM

It is now confirmed that the grassed area on the north side of the club is available to park the boats and a limited amount of responsible campers to setup camp.
Responsible as in, they stress that the clubhouse toilets are used instead of the bush.
There will be members at the club for the whole duration so it will be available.
If there is anything else we can help you with in planning this great event please ask.
Cheers
Evan

Re: Nats 2012 - 04/13/11 08:30 AM

We have a wegpage on Facebook and have now put up a countdown timer for the Nats.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rivoli-Bay-Sailing-Club/168831696463019
Watch the time scream up on you as your preparing your boat for the Nats. smile
Days: 263
Hours: 6328
Mins: 379714
Secs: 22782852

Re: Nats 2012 - 05/13/11 02:37 AM

Wow. Booking at Lynnies is easy! Name, arrival date, power or no power. That's it. Not even a deposit needed smile
Posted By: dkd

Re: Nats 2012 - 06/21/11 09:41 AM

JeffS,

Silly question but how long would it take to drive from Robe to Southend, not staying there merely thinking out loud

Thanks,
David
Salpicon de Resplandor, 1744

Re: Nats 2012 - 06/21/11 01:43 PM

Its less than 70km and you would do it in about 40 minutes to the edge of Robe but at that time of year in the afternoon it's full of slow driving tourists with a long slow road in, it could easily take you another 10 minutes to get to where you want to go in Robe.

Re: Nats 2012 - 11/04/11 06:08 AM

Don't forget to fill out the online entry before 1st Dec to avoid the $10 late fee.

Bring a friend as well! 40 entries is our target smile

Rivoli Bay SC National Titles - Online Entry Form

Re: Nats 2012 - 11/15/11 11:08 AM

There is an entry list up on the NMCCA site now:

Entry list - Rivolli Bay SC Nationals 2012

It's not automatic so allow a day or so for your entry to be added to the list.

Re: Nats 2012 - 11/28/11 10:34 AM

Hi,

It is with dissapointment I advise I am not going to be able to make the journey this year to Rivoli.
I changed job a few months ago and that combined with some family commitments makes the trip not possible.
I had been hoping some god would smile on me and make the logistics work but to no avail yet.
Apologies as I did want to make the effort after so many made the effort to NSW the other year.

Re: Nats 2012 - 12/06/11 07:23 AM

Looking for interested people in a mini bus winery tour of Coonawarra on the Layday. If we have enough we will organise it. Costs will be keep at a minimum.
Let me know if interested on the forum or email me evan.marga(at)internode.on.net. (Just add the @ where the (at) is. ) Cheers Evan
Posted By: Nic M

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/10/12 04:47 AM

Hi All,

I know that you are likely not feeling like recounting the Nats after a long week of sailing but any chance of a quick summary of how it all went...........

.....Am keen to hear about how it went........

PS: I enjoyed seeing the video of Unko and Kryptonite !!

All the best.

Posted By: mitchellsailor

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/10/12 10:54 AM

Gary won cat rigs with a race to spare, second through to 4th were decided in the last race with Bob coming in second for that race and hence the series, Daniel third and Matt a further point behind.
Warwick also won with a race to spare in the sloops, with 7 wins total. Neill came second with 3 wins and Simon 3rd.

We had great conditions in a great location with races held in 5 knots of breeze up to 22 max. depending on wind direction we had flat water or beautiful swells and never chop <3.
all 10 races were completed as scheduled, with Matt winning the first days racing in light wind, Gary winning 7 total(4 out of 4 when there was moderate breeze) and bob winning one in moderate breeze and slightly unlucky not to win more.
DANIEL STONE was awesome in trapezing conditions but is yet to sort out his light wind skills (VERY short time on the boat)
GREAT club and people!

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/10/12 08:51 PM

I have put the complete results up here:

40th Mosquito National Titles

I've also included the overall results (Mk 1 & 2 combined) and it looks like the sloops won - but only just.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/10/12 09:56 PM

Can someone provide the link to the video of the Stone brothers doing their "performance art" piece at the curry night?
Posted By: Petern

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/12/12 12:51 AM

Hi all I was wondering if anyone picked up my Mosquito vest/sleeveless jacket .I left it behind at the presentation night at Lynneys. Would love to have it back.
Peter N
Posted By: Sixth Element

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/12/12 09:19 PM

hi peter,

try giving graeme davies a call i think he was one of the last to leave on sunday. ill PM his number to you.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/12/12 11:36 PM

Fantastic time everyone, yes it was a lot of work for our few members but thanks to some helpers from 2 other clubs it all went without a hitch. It was very rewarding to see all the smiles at the presentation night.
I'm going through the 3750 photo's that were taken and will hopefully have a DVD (or 2) done. Graeme has the raw footage on an Ext Hard drive if you want to excess it there or send me an email and I can post it to you. Of course the DVD won't have everything only the highlights/best shots only.
I'll also ask around if anyone has seen the Jacket.
Cheers
Posted By: Sixth Element

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/13/12 04:57 AM

Thanks again Evan to you and all the rest of the club(s) for putting on a good show for us all. good to see another small country club doing good things..

cheers.
Peter
Posted By: Rob G.

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/13/12 08:00 AM

I totally agree Peter - thanks Evan and all the crew at Rivoli Bay SC for an awesome regetta. The hospitality you guys showed the Mossie fleet was above and beyond.
And how about the sailing - at least 2 days in 15 - 20+ knots on flat water - and wow... thanks Evan for "accidently" setting those reaches in the blow way too tight so we had flat out screaming reaches on the wire....!!! You beauty...

Cheers,
rob

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/13/12 10:24 AM

I've made a start on uploading some of the photos from the club. Thanks to Evan, Damien and Mark for all the photos.

Rivolli Bay SC Mosquito National Titles 2012 Photo Album

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/15/12 06:01 AM

Hi all,

have to put in my thanks to all the crew at Rivoli Bay also, what a hard working small club grin .

I was lucky enough to turn up early, same time as the first club members (who stayed on site the whole regatta). For those that where there for New Years, we where invited along to their barbie and treated like family cool , the local freshly caught crayfish (by one of the rescue boat drivers) was awesome smirk . Then on curry night the fresh caught salt & pepper octopus (caught in a cray pot) apetizer matched with Coopers Clear, again just added to the experience grin .

Country hospitality at it's best, all those that didn't make it to Rivoli Bay start kicking yourelves shocked . Oh and by the way the sailing was ok too wink.

Rivoli Bay Sailing Club, don't change a thing the members will come, if only I lived closer cry.
Posted By: Rebel without a Clew

Re: Nats 2012 - 01/17/12 12:21 PM

Slightly off topic in a Monty Python way,
Rivoli Bay rigging area,
After measuring, Rick Verboon had rigged his boat and was idly tapping two hatch covers together to imitate horses hooves, I borrowed a line from The Holy Grail-
"Where'd you get the coconuts from-they're a tropical fruit-not native to the British Isles?"
The response from around the park was instantaneous,
"A swallow could grasp it by the husk and fly in with it"
"Would that be an English or African Swallow?"
"It's not a question of where it grasps it, a 4oz bird cannot carry a 2lb coconut"
"Judean Peoples Front!" [wrong film]
"He must be a King,he asn't got shite all over him"
"Just because some watery tart gives you a sword is no basis for a means of government"[my favourite]
John Cleese,Graham Chapman,Eric Idle,Micheal Palin, Terry Jones and Terry Guillam would be tickled to know that 35+years after its release grown men [and women!]are reciting lines from The Holy Grail in a rigging paddock in a remote corner of Australia,
Cheers,
Roy, Rebel Without a Clew,1770
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums