Catsailor.com

New to Mozzies

Posted By: Hack

New to Mozzies - 12/06/12 12:21 PM

G'day all,
I'm new to the mozzie fraternity, having just purchased 'First Try' #1769, on the first (last Saturday)
Raced kiteless on Sunday, but was still a blast! Having stepped up from a 'Sundance 14' the difference is staggering.
This forum has proved to be a fantastic resource, along with the website. It's great to see that there are so many committed and knowledgable folk out there, happy to share their expertise.
I look forward to further technical discussions, once my brain processes what I've already read!
Cheers!
Posted By: mitchellsailor

Re: New to Mozzies - 12/06/12 02:59 PM

Hi Hack, it sounds ridiculous but you should try make it to nationals even if only for a few days. You will jump up the learning curve soo quick and know all the right techniques to go away and practice.
Glad you're enjoying your new boat smile
P.M me if you need a spot to pitch a tent.
Posted By: s horn

Re: New to Mozzies - 12/07/12 06:52 AM

Hi Hacko,
Welcome to the swarm.Glad to see another mosquito joining us. See if you can catch us, Ha Ha. Show down Sunday, see you there.
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: New to Mozzies - 12/07/12 09:11 AM

Hi Hack,
Wlcome, as mitch says come to the nats, you will learn so much, great bunch of people too.

Matt
The Joker 1826
Vic Mossie President
Posted By: Hack

Re: New to Mozzies - 12/07/12 01:36 PM

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Nats are out of the question this time, but maybe next year!
Hornbag! Be careful what you wish for! Spent the week keeping Ronstan viable, so I'm good to go!
For the rest of the country, Port Vincent is right up there with the best places to sail in the known world! You owe it to yourselves to get over here! Some SA sailors know what I'm talking about. Keen to keep you updated on our Mozzie progress over here....if Steve and I don't sink each other in the meantime....
Posted By: mitchellsailor

Re: New to Mozzies - 12/07/12 02:29 PM

Sounds good Hack, I'm due a good road trip
Posted By: Phillip

Re: New to Mozzies - 12/11/12 08:35 AM

Hi Hack
Sent you a PM
Phillip Pearce
Posted By: swatter

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/15/14 12:50 AM

hi im new to the mozzies to I just bought exgalibur 1544 looking forward to sailing it they have winter racing here once a month at Yarrawonga hope to try it out this sunday then might be after some advice as I haven't sailed for about 10 years but carnt wait im Michael
Posted By: Pirate

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/15/14 10:34 AM

Welcome to the swarm Michael smile
and a welcome to your new mozzie 1544 "exgalibur" wink

the boat doesn't showup on the Mosquito Catamaran History by Sail number pages ( http://www.theracingcat.com/uploads/register0314.pdf ) so it may pay to let them know about its existence..... and any chances of some pictures of it for the rest of us
grin

as for your question... wondering where to get new center boards how mutch to also where to get new boom section

best to start a new thread for the bits your chasing rather than adding to an older thread, new threads get far more attention wink
More than likely there be a member that has some 2nd hand units laying around and then there's always the brand spanking new jobs.... all depends on the depth of the wallet

smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/16/14 08:19 AM

Hi Michael,

and again welcome to the swarm.

Booms you can use anything that fits through a 80mm circle. I am currently using a length of Mossie Mast with the track cut off. Have used Paper Tiger/Sabre/Arrow mast section cut to length and just round tube less than 80mm from local alloy supplier cut to length, know of a Laser mast being used and some use carbon tube again less than 80mm, it's up to you what you can find.

New centreboards JK Fibreglass (bendigo) make them for Mossies. Second hand, many A class boards fit,
Posted By: Greg/Debra

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/16/14 09:30 AM

Excalibur 1455 is on the Register. I presume this is the boat in question?

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/16/14 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Greg/Debra
Excalibur 1455 is on the Register. I presume this is the boat in question?

simple enough to confuse the numbers, I had to look twice ..... crazy

1455 was on eBay not so long ago, was for sale in Ballarat Victoria from memory.....

[Linked Image]

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/16/14 10:02 AM

just noticed this......

1434 J.I.B.E.
1727 Atreus

shocked

2 more and you'll have your own fleet

laugh

& did you get that pic I emailed you ???

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/18/14 10:27 PM

thanx gary for your help sailed it first time yesterday in light winds that was first time sailed in 10 years was a blast though there was only to of us but I had great time wondering whats best way to put mast up by my self thanx

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/19/14 07:21 AM

Hi swatter,

The easiest way to put up an old (heavy) Mossie mast is with two people! However if you must do it by yourself, there are a number of ways you can do it. No doubt others here will have some advice for you, but this is what I do...

From what you said on the other thread, you have a hinge plate on the mast (newer masts don't have that). As you said, you need to raise the top end of the mast so that you can get the hinge pin in the holes.

I got a piece of steel tube (about 1.8 m long) and welded some feet on it so that it will stand vertically. A portable post if you like. I stand the post at the back of the boat, about a metre behind.

About half way up I have a piece of steel attached to the post so that I can sit the mast on it. I sit the the mast there and get the hinge pin in the holes. Then I lift the mast up and sit it on top of the post. I have another piece of steel attached to the top of the post to sit the mast on.

Then I get on the trampoline, take hold of the mast and stand it up. It is quite easy to lift the mast from the top of the post into the vertical position.

It can be a bit tricky holding mast up, and attaching the forestay to the bridle, so you need to be careful with that.

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/20/14 10:55 PM

sorry got sail number wrong its 1455 exgalabur sailed it for first time last sunday in vary light winds another 5 knots would have been great lol but what a blast as that was first time sailing in ten years

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/20/14 10:59 PM

thanx gary sounds good might have to try it great help thanx again

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/20/14 11:02 PM

pirate yep that's the boat I just bought a about a to months ago now

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/20/14 11:02 PM

pirate yep that's one I bought

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/20/14 11:11 PM

was wrong sail number ppl sail number is 1455
Posted By: Tim_Mozzie

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/22/14 09:22 AM

This question is asked so often I've just added a page to the website on the topic.

Raising the mast

Now it just needs a few pictures.

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/24/14 12:57 AM

Thanks for that Tim.

The hinge plates on our old boats (1140 and 1434) are fixed to the beam with the hinge at the back, which is why we have been putting up the mast from the back. I suppose it would be possible to take them off and turn them around so the hinge is at the front.

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/24/14 11:04 PM

Hi Greg,

Thats exactly what I did with my first Mossie 1111 whay back when, everything just turned around and fitted the same. Wish you could still get those pins and bases.

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/24/14 11:13 PM

Gary, why can't you use the hinge Goodall sells?

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/24/14 11:50 PM

Matt or Kingy could probably make them.

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/25/14 12:05 AM

If I could get hold of one to copy from it would be a simple task to duplicate them....

wink

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/25/14 03:28 AM

http://www.gust.ax/gallery/f12/08-04-12/

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/25/14 10:03 AM

Hi Kingy,

I thought you would have them on 1182 as most Mossies from that era had them. I can do a detailed sketch of the old ones, no problem there if people want to make replica ones.

I for one would like to fit them to 1727.

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/25/14 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scarecrow

Simple enough .......

Thanks for that example
smile

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/25/14 12:06 PM

That would be good if you can do that Greg, a few pics with a ruler or tape measure in the shot will make life far easier too....even a short vid of it actually opening / closing would help wink

Email them through to me when you can and we'll go from there

1182 never had one and there's no sign of one ever being fitted to her either so I'd want to make 2 for my two mozzies for starters and if there's an interest or demand we can make as many as required from there.

grin
Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/25/14 12:07 PM

that one looks too "HEAVY" I thing theres one on Garys old boat at somers and ill make some, from memory its 1.6mm square or plate bent up (similer to previous post)and just bolts on your existing pins

Ill look in to it

Matt

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/26/14 08:00 AM

Hi all,

there is one thing some may be missing here. That is that retrofitting is not possible (to my knowledge) on mast bases unless the mast rotation pivot is bolted in.

The mast bases that came standard with these had a pivot that had a space before the cone of the pin that fits in the cup that captured the plate, keeping it attached to the mast base.

For instance on the mast base on 1766 the pivot is pressed into the cast alloy base and the cone that goes into the cup is flush underneath the alloy, no room to capture the plate.

But all is possible if you bolt through a new pivot or make a complete new base.

Re: New to Mozzies - 05/26/14 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by thricebitten
...... For instance on the mast base on 1766 the pivot is pressed into the cast alloy base and the cone that goes into the cup is flush underneath the alloy....

That's the tough one to get around, but like every thing if there's a will ........

Had a look at a spare base I have here and without destroying it I think it wouldn't take much to remove the cast in stainless part....... The alternative is to simply use the cast in stainless bit and bore through it and cut a thread for a new bolt.

Personally I'd like the cone on the beam and the cup on the mast, it would be simple to re-machine the cone into a cup and retro fit a new cone to the beam where the cup usually sits !!!!!!
Big advantage for me is no sand in the beam-cup and therefore no horrid grinding every tack smile

Problem solved

wink

Re: New to Mozzies - 06/02/14 09:21 AM

I think it can be done without replacing the mast rotation pivot. It is a bit hard to explain without pictures but I am thinking of a piece of curved of 1.6mm stainless that can be riveted to the bottom front of the mast. Welded to that would be a hinge part which matches the other half of the hinge attached to the beam.

Re: New to Mozzies - 06/18/14 04:22 AM

hi all thanx for advise on getting mast up i used my tralier put behind the th boat used the mast stand from trailer to hold mast to get the pin in it worked well now getting a stand made up so wont have to use trailer any more

Re: New to Mozzies - 06/18/14 10:59 AM

Hi swatter,

Glad to hear that you are making some progress with the mast raising. Using your trailer and mast stand is a good idea.

I have found it quite easy putting the mast up by myself from the back the way I described earlier.

I know that some people (Tim, Gary etc) say that it is easy to put the mast up from the front without a hinge, but that hasn't been our experience.

We have had difficulties putting up the mast from the front on our new boat 1727 which doesn't have a hinge. I am at the moment making a hinge for 1727 which will be on the front of the mast. I will post some pics when it is finished.

Regards,
Greg.

Re: New to Mozzies - 07/08/14 02:04 AM

hi thanx i got a stand made up its got 3mm 400 by 400 flat steel with 1400 square tubeing with angled plate to rest mast on at back of boat tryed it once seems to work well hope to have pics soon to show how it works

Re: New to Mozzies - 08/10/14 11:07 AM

I am at the moment making a hinge for 1727 which will be on the front of the mast. I will post some pics when it is finished.

I've finally done it... Below is a series of pics which hopefully are self explanatory

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://s2.postimg.org/xnija8vm1/MH6.jpg[/img]

[img]http://s30.postimg.org/wwd7nck29/MH8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://s4.postimg.org/fjrj6zubx/MH9.jpg[/img]
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums