Catsailor.com

Stawell Regatta

Posted By: No Turbulence

Stawell Regatta - 12/30/13 04:23 AM

Hi all,

If you want to take the family to the Grampians for a holiday, you could attend the Stawell Regatta the 1st weekend in Feb 2014. there should be a few Mosquitos there. I know of one so far, there is normally a few.
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=9954&pID=1

No Turbulence 1774
Posted By: Pirate

Re: Stawell Regatta - 12/30/13 10:15 PM

NOR page is @.....

Stawell Regatta Notice of Race

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/02/14 05:14 AM

So Kingy,
Will Twice Shy be there?, she is looking looking good with her new make up and accessory's.

Ross
No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/02/14 12:24 PM

I'll have her in the water within the next 2 weeks. grin

All that's a major left to do is to finish the rudders lockdown system, which is basically done now except for adding the resin...... step the mast and rig her on dry land and do a full check over....

& then ...

Get on the water wink

so with any sort of luck but also without cross my heart n hope to die promises....

yeah I hope to be @ Stawell, cant see any reason as to why I cant be there....... touch wood (try that with a carbon boat smirk )

smile

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/19/14 11:23 PM

Morning all,

Some of you may have heard that there was a fire in the Grampians that had people evacuating homes at Lake fyans, Halls Gap and a few other areas, by all accounts the fire is under control, people are returning to their homes and Stawell will be right to run the regatta!

Ross

No Turbulence

Posted By: Al_scorpion1101

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/21/14 10:18 AM

So are any other mozzies planning on making the treck
to stawell? Support a good country regatta!
Al

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/22/14 12:13 AM

Hi Al,

If you could round up all the Derrinallum Mossies, there would be a class.

No Turbulence
Posted By: Al_scorpion1101

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/22/14 05:31 AM

Hey Ross,
At this stage it looks like three will be making the trip.
I have work so am unable to attend at this stage!

Al scorpion 1101

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/22/14 06:06 AM

3 is good, maybe you should take the weekend off,:)

No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/30/14 12:24 AM

Looks like there will be fleets of Mosquitos, Taipan's, impulse's,and minnow's (good to see kids coming through). at Lake Fyans (Stawell)would be great if the Mossie's could out number the Tiapan's so if you are thinking of attending there is on site camping and it will be full catered, what more could you want.

No Turbulence.

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/30/14 12:48 AM

HOW QUICKLY THINGS CHANGE:
Hi All, Please read important - Stawell Yacht Club Regatta set for this weekend the 1st and 2nd February, has been postponed. Due to continued high temperatures forecast for this weekend and a CFA warning advice of active but controlled fires in the region.

The Regatta will now take place on the 22nd and 23rd March 2014.

Concerns with health and safety of competitors and voluteers were taken into account before this decision was made.

Another factor that has influenced this decision is that a number of local and visiting club members are landowners and voluteer in the CFA and other emergency services and maybe called upon at any given time.

The committee of the Stawell Yacht Club and Yachting Western Victoria apologise for any inconvience caused by this decision, that may have planned to attend from the region and Melbourne.

Personally - This decision has been made with the best interests in mind of everyone involved, and can fully understand the reasons in doing so. Although there is no threat of active fire in the area, there are concerns within the Grampians. So please support the Stawell Yacht Club in their decision, and if possible amend your sailing calenders for the 22nd and 23rd March 2014.
Posted By: Got Wood

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/30/14 09:47 AM

Thanks Ross,

After lengthy disussions last night with the Stawell Commodore, the Stawell Yacht Club committee, this morning made the decision to postpone until the weekend of March 22nd and 23rd.

The decision was made, taking into consideration, the health and safety of all involved, and while there is no direct threat to the Lake Fyans area currently, it was felt the mixture of high tempertures and (contained) fires in the Grampians area, this would ultimately be the best decision.

As there is no regional regatta set for the month of March, the Yachting Western Victoria committee will promote the alternative weekend and have requested clubs in our region alter their sailing programs to suit.

Again SYC and YWV apologise for any inconvience caused by this decision, but hope all support the regatta in March, as obviously some things in life are unavoidable.

Matt - YWV Pres.

Re: Stawell Regatta - 01/30/14 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by No Turbulence
......The committee of the Stawell Yacht Club and Yachting Western Victoria apologise for any inconvience ....

Originally Posted by Got Wood
.....Again SYC and YWV apologise for any inconvience caused by this decision .......

No need for an apology in my books ..... it's a damn SMART decision under the circumstances !!!

see ya in March

smile

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/13/14 01:35 AM

Just a reminder this Regatta is on 22nd and 23rd of March,

Ross
No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/13/14 02:52 AM

;March 22 & 23 2014

2014 Stawell Regatta

The Stawell Yacht Club will be holding its 2014 Regatta on the 22nd & 23rd of March. The Regatta was to be held in early February but was postponed due to extreme heat and fire concerns in the Grampian's region.

A copy of the Notice of Race can be found on the ‘Regatta’ page of our Yachting Australia sponsored website which can be accessed by using the following web address. www.syc.yachting.org.au.

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/13/14 06:02 AM

Now there is no excuse for not going to this regatta, the family can go to the Halls Gap zoo for free "gold coin donation to the local CFA & SES" compliments of Stawell Toyota click for details https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stawell-Toyota-Kia/495255677234067 and you get to sail!
What more can you ask for!
Ross

No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/14/14 08:52 AM

message sent

smile

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/16/14 10:27 PM

reply sent

No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/17/14 10:42 PM

One more reason to attend the Stawell Regatta!! there is a chance to win a weeekend at www.lakefyansholidaypark.com.au

Ross
No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/19/14 03:43 AM

The weather is looking promising for the weekend, no the sign of the 40 deg C, in February that caused the rescheduling of this regatta.

No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/19/14 11:23 AM

have you raked the grass at my campsite yet ???

wink

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/20/14 12:37 AM

if I am not mistaken, your camp site is like a bowling green!, (but then again maybe I am mistaken.:)

No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/24/14 01:15 AM

Well the Regatta is over, great turn out with some where between 30 & 40 boats,(i counted 33 while waiting for a start, i think some were back on shore ) a fleet of juniors. great breeze most of the time. 4 Mosquito’s (Gordon was there with his A Class wishing he had his Mosquito smile ). It was good talking the other Mosquito sailors and hearing them say how much they enjoyed sailing these boats!
If you havnt been there it is worth a visit, you lookout from the club house over the lake with the Grampians as a back drop, you could make a post card out of it! Thanks to everybody who attended.

No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/24/14 01:48 AM

I'm glad I didn't take the bowls shocked

Many thanks for a great weekend Ross, the club put on an excellent event and I'll certainly be back.

grin

my weekend:

Thursday night and the hole in the hull from the knee syndrome is repaired and the cruiser is loaded up and ready to roll
grin

The missus is sick with the flu and several other people we know also have the virus, somehow I've managed to dodge that bullet for now

Friday- the bloody clock goes into slow-mo and the day drags, right up to 4:50 when the boss needs a hand to finish a job, the plan to escape early leaves well before I will
mutter mutter mutter
I finally get on the road just after 7:30pm smile
but only for ~40 odd minutes before Murphy's Law strikes, the cruiser suddenly shuts down and we roll ungracefully to the side of the road => your kidding me, old faithfull has let me down
mad

Phonecall to the missus and she gets the kids out of bed and comes to get me, unfortunately in the car that DOESNT HAVE a towbar..... so back home we go and I grab the statesman and go and get the boat then another run to drag the cruiser back home..... transfer all the gear into the statesman and the clock says 1:00am, I'm beat so bed and an early start is the call
cool

Finally arrive and I'm the 2nd last boat to turn up, setup is a little rushed along with the entry and I'm into the briefing, finish off putting the boat together and I'm last on the water for the first race.....

Race 1, I made a mistake, I rushed the setup and got it all wrong and the result was a really badly handling boat with massive helm and constantly locking in irons, at the end of the race I was so exhausted from fighting with it I didn't want to race in the next race..... I needed a spell to get my strength back, I even did the toss the coin thing, heads and we race tails and we have a spell, it came up heads, ok so lets make it the best of 3..... & 3 heads later it was racing and no spell for me !!

Lunch time and after a chat to Ross and others I went and re-set my rig and found the main cause of my badly misbehaving boat which turned out to be loose rudders that had allowed the rudders to slip backwards nearly and inch, combined with WAY TO MUCH downhaul its any wonder I had a boat that was up for a boxing match and a half..... battered and bruised race 2 here we come,

race 2 and we were going much better but still not as well as she should have been going, the helm was still ever so slight but atleast I wasn't constantly dragging on the tiller, the handbrake effect was mostly gone. An over full sail in the windy conditions was my next mistake, this was how I'd thrown it together from the beginning and I hadn't changed it during lunch, what I had was going to have to do for race 3 that was back-to-back too....

Race 1... 3rd mozzie to cross the line, which is really the last mozzie because one was being towed back after the mast came down just after the start.

race 2... 3rd mozzie to cross the line again, but I'm getting better

race 3.... and I'm up where I should be competing in a tight race for 2nd right up until a bad tactial decision is made and I find myself with no wind and going backwards inbetween being stuck in irons yet again....
I cross the line as the 3rd mozzie to finish yet again, consistant atleast !!
mad

Sunday

Mast rake changed, batterns reset, downhaul goes back to a starting point and various other things are re-done, something I really should have done during Saturday Lunch time.....
bloody hindsight

race 4 and its a nail biter between the 3 +65 boats we really raced well and it was close racing with one getting the advantage and the others catching it back before you knew it
again a 3rd mozzie was my finishing place.....

Race 5 and the wind had dropped off slightly, it was just enough to give the old girl an advantage, her old rag sail works well in the lighter stuff and it showed.
Saturday night had also been very informative as I listened to several discussion on race tacticts and boat tune, one conversation in particular gave me a fantastic start for race 5, I even beat Ross across the line before he sailed away... During the race we slowly clawed a lead out and maintained it more buy good luck than good sailing, the 2nd last leg saw me with a great lead, that lead was almost taken back on the last leg with a wind change and some great sailing, again it came down to seconds for the finish and I managed to hold onto 2nd mozzie to finish... just !!!

The last race also had one other thing bite me..... remember the missus and her flu, well it caught up with me about mid race, I was getting colder by the minute and the strength was draining fast, I was glad to cross the finish line and beach the boat asap, unusual for me as I usually head back out for a bit more sailing.
Boat on beach and I headed for the showers, shivering all the way, with a great hot shower done I had enough strength to pack up and load everything into the car and trailer, off to presentations, and a final thanks to those that had helped me over the w/end..
special thanks to Johnno too wink

We leave and head for home, the flu has now got a firm grip and the heater is cranked up, a caravan in the front of our little convoy means the statey isn't happy, she doesn't do 90kph, too slow for overdrive and too fast to have reasonable rpm in the lower gear, we're chewing fuel like mad and a 1/4 of a tank has gone as we roll into Arrart, the others all stop for human fuel and I head on for car fuel, the art of being struck by the flu and getting out of a nice warm car to refuel wasn't a good one, so I decided to make the run for home and let hunger take its place at home along with a nice warm bed...

At home, ring the boss and do the I'm dying here call, RDO tomorrow check !
toast for a snack followed by a nice roast meal check !
sleeeeeeeeep ...... check !

Looking forward to the pics when they are uploaded
(Ross can you let me know when and where the lovely lady who did the entries and ran around with the Nikon camera posts the pics please ?)

Kingy

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/24/14 03:26 AM

Hi Kingy,
No good about the Flu!, l had to go early so I didnt get to see you after the race (maybe that was a good thing!!).
I am glad you enjoyed the weekend and you kept improving with each race.
When I find out about the photo's I will pass the infomation on.

Ross

No Turbulence.

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/24/14 05:30 AM

Thanks Ross,

aside for all my unseen dramas I must say I had an excellent weekend and it was well and truly worth all the little issues I went through.....

learning curve has taught me.....
GET THERE EARLY for starters blush
never ever ever ever rush putting the boat together crazy

&

live elsewhere atleast 1 week before the race

grin

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/27/14 11:02 PM

Hi Kingy,

i have been told the photos will be posted on the Stawell Yacht Club website soon. http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=9954&pID=1

No Turbulence

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/28/14 10:30 AM

thanks Ross, looking forward to seeing them smile

&

I see both you and I made the local paper shocked

blush

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/30/14 09:46 PM

Yep, Paper stars!!, you will have to put up with groupies now! smile

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/31/14 08:24 PM

Did you see the TV reports on WIN & PRIME ????

the mean green machine stood out in a big way and stole the shots they took !!!!
blush

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/31/14 09:35 PM

Missed the TV reports, note to self go green if you want to get noticed!

No Turbulence.

Posted By: Simon C

Re: Stawell Regatta - 03/31/14 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by No Turbulence
note to self go green if you want to get noticed!

Interesting socio political observation! LOL!

Re: Stawell Regatta - 04/05/14 09:25 PM

I got all excited...... website has been updated .... grin

with one new photo.... frown

[Linked Image]

atleast there's a mozzie in it grin

Re: Stawell Regatta - 04/05/14 11:56 PM

And that was one from last year!

Re: Stawell Regatta - 04/06/14 09:10 AM

[Linked Image]