Catsailor.com

beams

Posted By: mousetrap

beams - 05/25/14 03:03 AM

Is there a specific grade of aluminium for the beams?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: beams - 05/25/14 08:19 AM

Hi Dave,

Nothing in the building restrictions that I can see regarding grade of alloy. The following is the only applicable part I can see that effects beam materials.

"The main beam and rear beam shall each be of straight aluminium alloy of constant section along its length. Holes may be drilled in the beams for fastenings only. Holes remaining after the removal of redundant fittings are permitted.
The main and rear beam shall be; a rectangular hollow section 50 mm plus or minus 1 mm by 39 mm plus or minus 1 mm by minimum 3 mm wall. Beam edges may be rounded to a maximum of 2 mm radius."

From my experience this size only leaves Mossies with a choice of a standard section from Capral, available at most alloy fabricators/sellers around the country. Though it does come in a choice? of internal corners rounded or not, rounded internal corners is preferrable, in particular if you are not bolting beams right through.

Have you found a alternative in this size?

Posted By: Matt_Stone

Re: beams - 05/25/14 12:00 PM

I have just bought beams for myself from capral and cost $72 for a 6.5M lenght 50.8 x 39.2 x 3mm untreated and pick up. it has internal radius.

Matt
Posted By: Pirate

Re: beams - 05/25/14 12:12 PM

Good price Matt, I expected it to be more than that for a full length shocked

Does the association carry the beams ?
(Reason I ask is I need 2new beams for 1740 and I also want a new mast aswell, killing two birds here wink )

Re: beams - 05/25/14 12:39 PM

Mast batch should of been ordered (ill follow it up)
Yes the assoc do stock beams (i dont think we have any in stock. If not will be ordered with masts)

Matt

Re: beams - 05/25/14 03:03 PM

Was not sure if there were different grades of alloy as there is with stainless steel. Good tip on the internal round, I would not have thought of that. At that price I will be re-beaming next weekend. Thanks for the replies.

Re: beams - 05/26/14 07:36 AM

Hi Dave,

What boat are you re beaming? I thought we did all 3 Mossies I got from Port Lincoln 1747,1749 & 1760, remember buying a number of lengths of beam section from local alloy supplier, even had some left over, in fact sold the last left over beam to Matt a while back.

Re: beams - 05/28/14 01:01 PM

Hi Gary
Re-beaming 1749 "BITE ME". Found a small hairline crack 5mm inboard side of where the tie bolts to the main beam. Small amount of corrosion looks like the cause.

Re: beams - 05/29/14 07:37 AM

The joy of getting older can't remember stuff blush , obviously didn't re beam 1749 frown

Re: beams - 05/29/14 11:20 AM

hmmm thats where daniels cracked too, put a 20x40x3mm plate/ washer on the strap when bolting on to the beam.

Matt
Posted By: aparkfind

Re: beams - 06/25/14 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_Stone
hmmm thats where daniels cracked too, put a 20x40x3mm plate/ washer on the strap when bolting on to the cross beam .

Matt

Agree with the mate about aluminium cross beams .
Posted By: Got Wood

Re: beams - 07/04/14 07:10 AM

Just out of interest in regard to the mast sections from the association, are they anodised? or natural?

Cheers

Re: beams - 07/04/14 10:36 PM

anodised
Posted By: SFJF 1747

Re: beams - 07/22/14 12:53 AM

Hey Matt,

I'm in the process of replacing the rear beam on 1747. (PS. for Gary: 1747 rear beam was definitely not replaced!)

Does the Capral section you bought have an external radius too? I've got Nic's boat at my place and his seems to have a small radius on the outer edges also which is a nice detail. ( I think PhilWS beamed his so I would assume the assoc supplied these?)

Is there assoc. stock available and are they anodized? Either way I need to get some beams over the next few weeks.

Cheers
Doug

Attached picture beam.JPG

Re: beams - 07/22/14 09:37 AM

Hi Doug,

No need to rub it in, I thought we had established the fact I don't have a memory cry.

The Capral section doesn't have a radius on outside corners. Phil WS does this himself before he gets them anodised, to supply on the boats he sells (which are not sold by the association).

On the beams I did replace, 1760 and confused. I did the radius myself, it's not that difficult, I did a lot of it with sandpaper, before anodising. Getting them anodised is not difficult in the Eastern Suburbs (mine where done around Cheltenham Road I think?) as long as you are not in a rush and can wait till they have enough for a bath lot.

Contact Phillip WS direct to check if VMCA has any beams For Sale and if they are anodised.

Re: beams - 07/22/14 10:42 PM

Hi Doug, as Gary said, I do also radius the edge with a fine flapper disc on grinder then go with the grain with scotch brute pad to clean all grease and make it smooth ready for anodizing, I do have a section at home I could sell you a beam or make one up for u
Matt

Re: beams - 07/22/14 10:43 PM

Also I can get it anodized for you about$60

Re: beams - 07/22/14 11:15 PM

Thanks gents grin

Re: beams - 07/23/14 03:54 AM

2 questions .....

1/
Is it within the rules to "radius" the beams ?
I know there's a limit on the deck/hull radius, so logic would suggest ...

2/
Wouldn't it be best to actually fit the beams to the boat and also the associated hardware (IE: trampoline, traveler bar, dolphin striker etc etc)
And then strip it all off and THEN get it anadosied ????

Cant see the sense in drilling holes and exposing raw alloy after the anadosing

Reason I ask is.....
1182 has an anodised rear beam and a 'painted' front beam, the rear looks a treat until you remove a component (in my case the traveler bar), the corrosion around the holes that were obviously drilled post anodising is a concern, and yet the corrosion on the pained front beam is probably less in comparision
(more on this comming to Shy's thread soon).......

wink

Posted By: Sixth Element

Re: beams - 07/23/14 09:55 PM

Yes there is a rule on radius of the beams. Rule 6.2.
I would suggest it is a good idea for everyone to read through the rules at some stage. If you read the rules and check your own boat it saves the embarrasment when it doesnt measure at a regatta.

http://www.theracingcat.com/uploads/Mosquito_BRR.pdf

Re: beams - 07/23/14 10:30 PM

OK peoples, max radius is 2 to 3 mm and yes fit the beam out and trial fit it then strip it down then get it anodized. When you have an existing beam to copy off, no need to trial fit,

Matt
Posted By: JeffS

Re: beams - 07/23/14 11:21 PM

Make sure you measure the boat for maximum width before drilling holes. Don't drill any holes in the beam until you check out the hull where it will be mounted, you may prefer to plug the holes and put bolts in a new area

Re: beams - 07/24/14 11:07 AM

seeing I'm going to replace both the beams on Karp I may as well 'radius' the beams while I'm at it.....
YAY .... no more scun skin mad

How would a router go at making the radius edge over a flapper disc I have heaps of bits that would make a very nice curve and several that I'm not fussed in loosing ...

Other than that does it have to be a curve, could I for example simply bevel the edge with a plane ???

Posted By: Phillip

Re: beams - 07/24/14 11:36 AM

To support Peter’s suggestion and with no malice directed to Matt, if you decide to remove the corner/arris of the beams, BRR states a maximum radius of 2mm. BRR 6.2 The main and rear beam shall be; a rectangular hollow section 50 mm plus or minus 1 mm by 39 mm plus or minus 1 mm by minimum 3 mm wall. Beam edges may be rounded to a maximum of 2 mm radius. From the Building Instructions: A 2mm radius arris can be removed from the cross beams. This is a restricted measurement! Make a radius guide by drilling a 4mm hole through a piece of sheetmetal. Remove the corner along the tangent lines. See Diag. 8.2. Remove the beam arris. Plane off the bulk with a woodwork hand plane, a No.4 or No.5 is ideal. Draw file with a mill 2nd cut file to final shape. Smooth with emery cloth.
I have heard of using a router with a radius cutter. This would also work but ensure the correct size cutter is selected and it is tungsten tipped as a HSS will dull before completion. Removing too much material from the corners will compromise the strength of the beam and it is a fact that mozzie beams are notoriously under engineered.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Greg/Debra

Re: beams - 07/24/14 11:51 AM

I find this all very interesting but I am moved to ask, why put an external radius on the beams? Is it for appearance, comfort of the sailor(s) or weight reduction?
Posted By: Sixth Element

Re: beams - 07/24/14 10:06 PM

hi Greg,

The main reason is for the comfort of the sailor. The new beams have a sharp square edge and they can cut if you slide into them etc.

Re: beams - 07/24/14 10:47 PM

Yes that's right, I have cut myself lots on sharp beams
Posted By: Greg/Debra

Re: beams - 07/25/14 01:10 AM

I see. Thanks Peter and Matt.

Re: beams - 07/25/14 03:04 AM

Whilst Karp's & Shy's front beams arent radiused I certainly intend to do the new beams on Karp prior to anodising, and Shy will get the router treatment after all the burrs have been sanded off

Shy's front beams edge is nasty, years & years of mast raising/lowering and other unknown gear being dragged over it have left a serated edge specifically around the mast base ......
The marks on the boom would suggest it was loosely tied there during transporting....

I think that the removal of the edge other for human skin would be to stop such flaring of the square edge......
I dont hold much hope but I'll try for a pic of the nasty edge on Shy.

Is there any advantage in cutting a radius on the rear beam ???
There's a great big traveler beam sitting on them !!!!!

wink

Re: beams - 07/25/14 05:47 AM

When sloop the skipper sits on the rear beam and the crew is trapping with foot on rear beam.... Nasty when something goes wrong with sharp edges

Re: beams - 08/21/14 01:33 AM

So a quick update:

Got internal radius beam sections from Capral as per Matt's notes and used a Tungsten Carbide 2mm rad router bit on a hand router which worked a treat to produce a consistent 2mm external radius.

In disassembling the old front beam and jumper strap assembly I noticed a fair bit of corrosion on the dolphin striker tube module so will have to replace this also. It also didn't have a great amount of tension on it which is a bit of a concern which leads me to the question...

I am a little perplexed why Mozzie setups don't have any tension adjustment in the design of this part. On my previous cat (a Paper Tiger) it was essential to have a bit of pre-tension on the front beam assembly to ensure no sag of the beam when under full load, and when new it allowed the jumper strap to settle and then be rechecked/tensioned as required.

Is this something the Mozzie doesn't need or is not allowed in the plans? To me it would seem like a good idea with the high loads on the rig with spinakers/double traps etc??

I was thinking I might replace it with this type of assembly..
Dolphin Striker PT

Be interested in anyone's thoughts and latest setups.

Cheers
Doug

Re: beams - 08/21/14 03:38 AM

I've seen a few that have had a non-adjustable striker setup, they are however pre-loaded during the build..... these boats have been in the 1650 numbers and up

Both my mozzies do have an adjustable striker as does the plan set I have which specifies a 5/16th stainless bolt with locknut & adjuster nut being tig welded to the down tube under the mast step.

I recall breaking a bolt on my first mozzie (245) way back when....
Posted By: JeffS

Re: beams - 08/21/14 04:52 AM

With the non adjustable they were preloaded but the strap was also riveted so the strap didn't slop around and elongate the bolt holes thereby undoing the pretension, if the rivets are snapped off more than likely there's not much pretension. Bit hard to check as you need to take the main beam off. Can be scary to see how much corrosion there is between the stainless strap and aluminium beam
Posted By: Kryptonite

Re: beams - 08/21/14 06:43 AM

I'm currently replacing the beams on my boat and when i put the striker back on i will be adding a tensioning device to it. There was little to no pretension on it b4 which is probably why my beam had cracked.
When rigged (i run a pretty tight rig) my front beam usually sagged up to 5mm and probably more whilst sailing.
Also where the strap bolts to the beam add a square/rectangular stainless washer that spans the width of your strap so the strap won't stretch and possibly break at the bolt.
i hope that answers your question Doug

Re: beams - 08/22/14 05:57 AM

The strap is pre tention but after a while the beams settle in and the strap stretches. With no load on mast step the beam should have 3mm rise tension so when boat is loaded up the beam should be 1mm rise or straight. im adding a tension device to mine tho. cos I can
Posted By: Dazz

Re: beams - 08/22/14 09:54 AM

Is 3mm enough? most cats i have worked with require 10mm. 3mm would be pretty easy to compress under sailing loads, especially sloop rigged.

Re: beams - 08/22/14 10:36 PM

i stand to be corrected, i looked on the plans and the building rules and says nothing about tension, so personaly i would tension the beam so when the rig tension is on it has a positive bend of 1mm

Re: beams - 08/23/14 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by SFJF 1747
..... I am a little perplexed why Mozzie setups don't have any tension adjustment in the design of this part .....

does this help ?????

Scorpian's setup.....

[Linked Image]

TwiceShy's setup.....

[Linked Image]

Re: beams - 08/23/14 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_Stone
i stand to be corrected, i looked on the plans and the building rules and says nothing about tension, so personaly i would tension the beam so when the rig tension is on it has a positive bend of 1mm

old trick from former state tittle holders....

hang the boat from a solid beam / rafter etc so that only the transom is resting on the ground

that hanging point is the centre tube / front beam connection point, use the TUBE and NOT the beam as the tie point

adjust the striker tension until it is FIRM but not overly tight..... lockup the locking nut .... done smile

This is a BASELINE set point....
a starting point for the fine tuners to play from, add slightly more tension for heavier weather and slightly less tension for light weather sailors. The amount you'd adjust would be (pending on the thread's per inch of the adjuster bolt) would be at most 3/4 of a turn, fine threaded bolts would obviously require more.

Final check is to rig the boat fully and reef in the main (and jib if fitted) to a high pointing position, sighting along the beam the beam should be dead straight .... if its not you need to make further adjustments.

wink

Re: beams - 08/24/14 08:10 AM

In the photos you have there, those bolts are a little small and have known to fail, I'm putting in a 1\2 inch Unc thread as the striker post has to 19mm, so I will lathe up a nylon bush to keep the adjuster center of the 19mm tube
Posted By: Hack

Re: beams - 10/13/14 11:29 AM

Hi all,

I will be doing a fairly urgent re-beam on the front of #1769 in the next week, due to a crack through both sides at the dolphin striker strap bolt. Following the advice of several experienced campaigners at the Meningie Nats, I added more tension to my beam by using washers as spacers between the mast post and strap. I think a tensioning bolt would be essential, and I'll try to incorporate one into the new setup. With our state titles in 3 weeks, I need to get this done fairly quickly.
Have read all info pertaining to rounding the beam arris, but is there a regulation/recommendation regarding the angle to cut the beam ends??

Re: beams - 10/13/14 01:02 PM

Page 22

BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE MOSQUITO CATAMARAN
(rewritten November 1995)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Phillip

Re: beams - 10/15/14 07:28 AM

Hi Hack,
Thanks to Kingy for posting the suggested design from the Bldg Inst.
The cut-off angle suggested is the 25mm off-set. There is no regulation. This angle is for aesthetics. Any greater off-set may interfere with the location of the outer beam bolt.
The tension bolt (15 x 8 ss) is required as it removes the load from the inwale, it will be compressed if you don't have it.
Study the lower diagram; it illustrates fitting 5/4.8mm(3/16") monel or SS rivets. These rivets will reduce the sheer loads from the strap-to-beam attachment. Do not rely on just the tension and beam bolts to resist this sheer force.
The over-all length may vary but measure your existing beam for an indication. 2147mm was lifted off #1765 which has moderate hull width, wider than some, narrower than others. It has a maximum overall width of 2185mm.
I assume you will recycle major components.
Contact me direct through the MCASA if you need more info as the diagram is my production.
Phillip P

Re: beams - 10/15/14 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Phillip
...Study the lower diagram ....

yeah sorry about that bit being in the shade of my hands and iPhone but it wasn't what I was after for hack at the time blush

if you click on the pic it should take you straight to photobucket for a larger version
wink

Posted By: Hack

Re: beams - 10/15/14 07:44 AM

Cheers Kingy and Phil,

I had a feeling the answer would be the one you provided, but I thought I should check.
Thanks for the useful diagram.

If I feature in this weeks race report, then you'll know the job was successful on Saturday.

Cheerio
Posted By: Matthew Dawson

Re: beams - 09/24/15 10:42 AM

Some more questions on beams.

What are the pros and cons of painting vs anodising vs powder coating?

Does anyone have any experience with non-anodised aluminium coated with Nyalic?
http://www.thesailboatshop.com.au/category-s/103.htm
Posted By: Schnoogie84

Re: beams - 09/24/15 12:17 PM

I think the main benefit of anodising is that the whole beam (including the inside) is protected, whereas if you were to paint the beam, only the outside is. Anodising technically shouldn't change the weight of the beam compared with painting if you were really going for the nth percent on weight reduction?

Re: beams - 09/24/15 09:27 PM

as said..... anodising is full coverage protection whereas paint doesn't give that level of protection.

Another big disadvantage is that the paint chips quite easily, right in the area where the mast lays while you are attaching the shrouds prior to standing the mast or de-rigging the boat.

and one I hadn't figure on, the painted beam is slippery as heck when wet and that makes it a lot harder to clamber back on deck after a capsize..... ofcourse this isn't an issue if you don't get the boat wet or capsize it
grin

Re: beams - 09/25/15 04:51 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Is it true that anodised is slightly 'weaker'?

Re: beams - 09/25/15 11:28 AM

no not at all... quite the opposite actually

Anodising is (simplest explanation) an electrical coating of the alloy much the same as chrome plating is, in the case of alloy, the anodising process forms a layer of aluminium oxide - Al203 (corundum), which is very hard, relatively inert, electrically insulating (which is why its suitable for salt water use wink ), and can absorb dyes to colour the alloy.

there are 3 main types of anodising.....

Sulphuric Acid Anodising -> used mainly for hard working areas where heavy use and wear n tear would normally cut down the protective surface in a short period of time, EG outdoor furniture, window frames etc etc

Hard Anodising -> significantly harder, thicker, denser films with a higher resistance to wear, corrosion, temperature effects etc.... your cars engine-bay will have components treated at this level

Chromic Acid Anodising -> These coatings are thin, and relatively soft and generally only used in specialised applications, the name plate on the trophies in your cabinet are chromic acid anodised.... good for looks and not much else

for beams on a boat, then the SULPHURIC ACID ANODISING is the best, its also the most commonly used form of anodising

cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0GQPHh3Szk

wink

Re: beams - 09/25/15 12:56 PM

Thanks Kingy. smile

Re: beams - 09/27/15 06:19 AM

anodising is the best, powder coating is good also, as said paint and powder coating adds a tiny bit of weight.

Key is the prep work to get a good finish. Sand with the grain (yes alloy has a grain) with 240 grit and sand with different grades of scour pads.

Matt
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums