Catsailor.com

Adding a Jib to a Mossie

Posted By: Gary Fleming

Adding a Jib to a Mossie - 11/21/17 05:28 AM

Can anyone please provide some info/details on putting a jib on. Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Gary

Slowpoke 1545
Posted By: Schnoogie84

Re: Adding a Jib to a Mossie - 11/28/17 10:49 AM

Hey there Gary,

Does your boat already have a sloop bridle? Most boats do, but there are a few cat rig boats out there that have a twin forestay, or a high bridle setup, to reduce the load on the hulls.

This (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/vmca/media/MosquitoRigging/riggin_2006_0917AM.jpg.html) is a cat rig high bridle, if yours is like this, you would need to change the fore-stay setup so that the two bridle wires join at a lower point to accommodate the jib. Check the Mozzie Building rules in the documents folder of (www.theracingcat.com), as the lower the bridle, the more pulling force on the hulls, so there is a minimum height included in the rules.

The jib is usually zipped to the fore-stay, so you would need to add a block somewhere near the top of the fore-stay for the jib halyard.

The jib blocks on most of the boats are shackled to some loops of dyneema on the tramp. This way the jib setup can easily be removed when sailing solo, and the jib angle can be adjusted by shackling to different loops.

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/vmca/media/MosquitoRigging/riggin_2006_0917BO.jpg.html

Check out the pictures in the photo album below to give you some further guidance.

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/vmca/

Good luck!

Re: Adding a Jib to a Mossie - 12/08/17 05:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. This is an old boat that has had a jib on it before (I would say a long time ago) but all that remains are the adjustable tracks with blocks mounted on the sail track for the trapeze. Basically I need to know how the jib is raised and secured as I have the jib and sheet ropes. Are there any pictorial images showing this? Finally do you need batons in the jib?
Posted By: Greg/Debra

Re: Adding a Jib to a Mossie - 01/07/18 06:02 AM

Hi Gary,

I just saw your posts; I don't come here very often anymore. How did you get on with the jib? The advice above from Schnoogie is good but if you need further help/advice there is plenty available.

Regards,
Greg.

Re: Adding a Jib to a Mossie - 01/07/18 07:08 AM

Hi Greg. I haven't any responses yet. How are the Nationals going. I was going to come up one day but it hasn't worked out.

Re: Adding a Jib to a Mossie - 03/02/18 10:01 AM

Did you get your jib working?

The Nationals at Cootharaba were great!

Really good sailing conditions every day, and lots of fun.

Re: Adding a Jib to a Mossie - 03/05/18 06:23 AM

Still trying to work out where the block tracks go exactly as well as how the jib halyard and downhaul are configured. Any chance you have any photos you can share?

Re: Adding a Jib to a Mossie - 03/05/18 09:48 AM

On the newer Mossies people don't use block tracks on the hulls but rather have eyelets in the tramp. Our older boat (1434) has block tracks and I can send you some pics if you like.

As for the jib halyard and luff tensioning, well everyone has different ideas on that! The best idea would be to have a look at a few other boats and see what appeals to you. If you come to the Nationals at Moordialloc you will get plenty of opportunity to check out that sort of thing.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums