Catsailor.com

Fiber glass huls

Posted By: Gato

Fiber glass huls - 11/13/08 11:22 AM

There is a group of friends here who would like to build Tabbys for their kids. As they have some some experience in “normal” glass fiber lamination they are thinking of making a mould and making solid glass fiber hulls.
At least for the sea kayaks the glass fiber is lighter than a rotomoulded. Any suggestions for the thickness of the laminate and the kind of fibres and the layup?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fiber glass huls - 11/13/08 08:00 PM

ncik should be able to give you a laminate. Will you take a mould off the first boat?

Re: Fiber glass huls - 11/14/08 12:37 PM

Nope, If they decide to build I will help them to build a pair of hulls in foam/fibre and they will eventually take a mould of that one. They are speaking of 3-5 boats for themselves, but I guess they will let the mould to others if there is interest.
It is not a question of production at least for the moment.
I hope the guys will show up here on the forum.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fiber glass huls - 11/14/08 09:13 PM

Gato,

they should make a mast mould too. If that's of iterest let me know and we can discuss construction and laminates.

Re: Fiber glass huls - 11/15/08 06:54 AM

We will decide next week if we will start a new winter evening project with the students and as we have already made two cats it would maybe be interesting to make a mast mould. One of the guys who are in the building project is a student so I think everybody would benefit from that idea
Posted By: ncik

Re: Fiber glass huls - 11/27/08 11:06 PM

Will get you a hull laminate over the weekend. Need to borrow some standards docs from work.

Re: Fiber glass huls - 11/28/08 02:41 PM

Great!!!
Posted By: ncik

Re: Fiber glass huls - 11/29/08 02:49 AM

aahh, forgot to pick them up, sorry...early next week now.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums