Catsailor.com

CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH

Posted By: SOMA

CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/08/04 03:39 PM

I received the following from John McKnight regarding the next CABB race:

"1. The next CABB race will be the Black Ledge Distance race. The date will be Sunday, August 29. The crew meeting will be at 10:30 at the beach on the Rickenbacker Causeway. Mark your calendar for this fun distance race. It is one of our annual distance races. We race down to the Black Ledge marker and then to marker 21 and back to the beach. Check a chart if you are not familiar with Black Ledge.

2. I have heard that the Conch Cup, scheduled for August 21, has been postponed. I spoke with Regatta Chairman, Kenneth Benton, and he said there was a problem with getting a permit in time. They are planning to reschedule it in the fall. I will pass along the date when I hear one. "
Posted By: Robi

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/10/04 02:13 AM

What will I need to participate? Other than the boat?
any registration fees? insurance? I have never raced my cat, or have even crewed on one. I would definatley love to participate in this event somehow. Either with my cat, or crewing with someone.

plz let me know.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/10/04 02:23 AM

$20.00 per year gets you in. That includes an occasional mango.

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/10/04 03:34 AM

So I just pay the 20.00 dollars at the venue and Im good to go?

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/10/04 11:59 AM

For a whole year.... He'll put you on the e-mail list to receive exact dates and times of the events and folow up stories and results. Come on out for the next one.

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/19/04 02:03 AM

I am crewless as of today, what should I do Arbo? Should I show up with or without a boat. I am skeptical and hesitant. Really dont want to race alone (this would be my very first race ever)

PLUS: I have no clue of these spots that you mention. I was thinking more on the lines, follow the group. LOL

any recommendations?

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/19/04 12:13 PM

I won't be there either. I just purchased an ARC 21 (attached) and will be in Key LArgo the 26th - 29th. On the other hand, I could leave the keys early on he 29th and make the race.
For you/ show up with your boat and see what the options are. Even if you don't race, meet some of the guys and sail around the bay to start getting familiar or follow the group.

Attached picture 37054-DCP_0281.jpg

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/25/04 12:32 PM

Robi,
See you on the 29th? I'll be the guy with the ARC 21 with the fat red stripe. Perhaps I'll bring some RED STRIPE for after the race.....

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/25/04 04:59 PM

red STRIPE! hugh

Yes Hopefully I shall be there. Look for me with the crazy paint job on a H16 with white and blue sails.

I will be out sat and sun.

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/26/04 11:38 AM

SOMA, Robi,

I am pulling out for the Keys in a few hours. See ya Sunday! Feels like we have our own forum over here...
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/26/04 02:32 PM

Hey, I am watching as well, but can't join in the fun from Put-in-Bay, Ohio. Although plenty of fun here. Just raced the Trans-Erie race from one end to the other and we finished first on an F-31R
Rick

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/27/04 10:56 AM

Rick,
Wow, How long did that take? I was up in Cleveland this past weekend and the weather was beautiful!

Arbo, Robi,

I thought the race was last weekend, and I was out of town. I will be there on Sunday. I guess I'll need to get a map of the area or something. Right?
What are the basics I should take to the race for safety? I hope I don't need GPS and expensive gadgets like that. How long / far is the distance and how long is the race (in time)?

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/27/04 12:42 PM

I havent been able to find a chart of the area. But as I type this post I am on my way out to West Marine, to see if they have one. After doing some online research, I read that last year it took three hours to complete, but with 15 to 20 kts of wind. The weather this year says the winds will be around 5 to 10kts.

My plan is just to follow the group. What beach will they meet up?

Hope to see you all there.

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/27/04 02:30 PM

Rick,
Wow, How long did that take? I was up in Cleveland this past weekend and the weather was beautiful!

The race was last weekend and it was pouring down while driving east and while setting up the boat and for the first half of the race.
As we approached the islands area (Pelee and Put-in-Bay) the clouds finally broke up and we saw stars for the first time. With the rain and overcast at night it was really difficult keeping a spinnaker flying -- no visibility, just feel. The drill I use in my Sailing Seminars really paid off -- "Eyes Closed Drill." It teaches you to sail by feel rather than just staring at telltales.

The wind died for a couple of hours just before the sky cleared, but filled in for a close reach on the homestretch from Pelee Point to Grosse Ile, MI.

Really was a good sail overall, but pretty tiring. Total time was around 18 hours. Not bad for all that distance.

One the race in Biscayne, a chart would be helpful, but as mentioned, just follow the other boats. On the trip back head for Stiltsville until you see the entrance to the channel and that is were the rounding mark is. Then head for the bridge.

Good luck and have fun,
Rick

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/27/04 03:33 PM

Hey Rick, what beach is the race going to be launched from?

First on on the left comming from the toll?
Or the one with the cat rentals?

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/27/04 05:22 PM

HObie Beach is after you cross the big bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway and to your right, or south(and where the cat rentals are). Go to the second driveway entrance, take a right, and that will double you back to where the CABB Fleet sets up.
Rick

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/27/04 06:26 PM

Robi,
Did you find a map of the area for the race at West Marine??

Rick,

Other than water bottles and PFD's, are there any other "must haves" that I need to take?

Can I bring two crew instead of one? is this illegal?

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/27/04 09:22 PM

Rick,

Other than water bottles and PFD's, are there any other "must haves" that I need to take?

Can I bring two crew instead of one? is this illegal?

water and pfds are musts, trapeze belt and clothing that protects you from the sun, etc., sunblock

You can have the entire Hurrican Team on your boat, if you like, but it could be a little slower.

Have fun,
Rick

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/27/04 09:30 PM

Yes I got the chart. Its a water proof chart.

"Miami Area" by Top charts. Its a fishing and diving chart that shows you the entire Biscayne Bay are.

Payed a little over 16 dollars with taxes. I went to West Marine on US-1 and State Road 84

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/27/04 09:48 PM

Robi,

Good! that's my West Marine. I'll go tonight to pick one up.
See you on Sunday. I'm on the Hobie 18 with white main, with orange and yellow stripes, and the blimp on the tip of the mast.

Rick,
thanks, I'll leave the Hurricanes and just bring my wife and a friend. That should make it a little faster!
I've got the Harnesses, sunblock, hats, I guess I'll take a cell phone (in a waterproof bag) and some sandwiches. So I guess I'm good to go!

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/28/04 02:14 AM

Rick,

OK, I got the map and I found Black Ledge. But i don't see any identifying markers in that area. What is the course typically? Stiltsville seems to be NE of Black Ledge. Are they going to drop a Buoy there?

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/28/04 05:54 AM

After reading online, this is what I understand.

Launch from Hobie beach
Go to Black Ledge, wich is South East of Chicken Key, round marker number 2. It should be the last marker of the channel. Then head back to hobie beach.

Isnt that stretch roughly 15NMs ? Thats going to be ONE long run. Specially in 5kt winds!

Edit: anyone interested in going out tomorow? I shall be at either Dogs or Hobie beach around 12noonish.

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/28/04 06:26 AM

Aint looking too good if you ask me!

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/630.html

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/28/04 03:15 PM

Robi, are you thinking about not racing??

C'mon! It'll just be a little longer cruise, that's all!

Anyway, Hope to see you there.

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/28/04 04:26 PM

Robi, are you thinking about not racing??

The only way for me NOT to race, is if for some ODD reason I die before the start! I shall be there.

Matter of fact im leaving to the bay right now. Gonna try to get some practice runs in first.

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/28/04 07:01 PM

Good,

I just checked the weather forecast and it looks like tomorrow the wind will be from the SSW at about 9mph! It's going to be a TackFest on our way to the 1st marker! (maybe a little outboard would be in order.

Re: CABB RACE AUGUST 29TH - 08/29/04 01:52 AM

All I gotta say is that TODAY WAS A BLAST!!!

Got there around 2:30pm was in the water by 3:00pm Going around the bay, a lil storm came through, wind shifted! We beached for around 45mins.

Then it picked up big time!!! Went back out, and both me and my crew were out on the trap! Just hauling her up and down the bay. It was a blast!

See you all tomorow!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums