Catsailor.com

Big Multihull Seminar in June

Posted By: RickWhite

Big Multihull Seminar in June - 04/21/06 10:23 PM

If you ever thought about buying a larger multihull( i.e., Corsair, Stiletto, et al) and were not sure about sailing them, There is a Rick White Sailing Seminar scheduled this June at Put-in-Bay, Ohio. This is a great opportunity to not only kick the tires, but really learn to put one of these babies to the test -- learn how to really sail one of those fast cats or tris.
You can sign on as crew or get your big boat skipper to come to it.

Debbie Schaefer, summer.storm@cros.net who is organizing the event sent this out:
Rick White Sailing Seminar at Put-in-Bay, Ohio, June 15-18, 2006

We have scheduled Rick White's Sailing Seminar at PIBYC, South Bass Island for the Weekend after the Mills Race, June 15-18, 2006. This seminar will start with Registration and Meet the Expert on Thursday evening and will continue through Sunday with on-the-water drills. This is a Bring-Your -Own-Boat event, but we will match up boats and crews as needed for a complete crew of 4. We figured that many of the boats will already be at the Bay after the Mills Race, which will save on boat delivery time. The islands offer a protected area for the drills.

This seminar is for offshore multihulls and will benefit everyone and anyone:

. Experienced racers who want to review and refresh their memories on what they have forgotten during the long, cold winter.

. New skippers and /or new crews who will just be getting into racing this year.

. Racers who want to add to their knowledge.

. Racers who want to get tuned up for the new sailing season........And it will be FUN and ENTERTAINING!

Rick White is one of the pioneers of catamaran racing in the U.S. starting with the Shark Catamaran in the 1960's. Since 1965, White has won over 195 championships, including Worlds, Nationals, North Americans, Mideasterns, Midwesterns, Southeasterns, distance races, and numerous state championships sailing such boats as Sharks, Tornadoes, G-Force, Hobies, Waves, MacGregor 36, F-31s, F-27s, F-25Cs and F-24s.

White has written 4 books on multihull racing and graduated over 3000 students, including 7 Olympic Medallists, 10 Olympic team sailors, 18 national Champs, 50 Divisional Champs, and innumerable club champs. Most of these sailors entered the school as intermediate sailors, at best. I have participated in at least two of Rick's seminars and I can attest to the value of this program.

This seminar is a complete race camp program that includes on-the-water drills and evening lectures and videos of the day's drills on land. You'll get 200 starts, 300 mark roundings and 500 tacks/jibes. With this kind of practice, you will et your head out of the boat and out on the race course. Although the seminar is geared to the racing sailor and is designed around a racing format, the program is equally beneficial to the day sailor or the cruising sailor.

You can learn more about the format of Rick White's Sailing Seminars at his website: http://www.catsailor.com/sailingseminars/ss_overview.html

The cost will be $325 per crew member. Rick requires a $100 deposit and a minimum of 15 participants. So let me know now if you are interested and register through me ASAP!

Dockage on South Bass Island is at a premium on weekends, so make your reservations now.

PIBYC has one dock left at $1.50 per foot. Call Jack at 419-707-2509 or e-mail him at [email]manager@PIBYC.org.[/email] Miller Marina also charges $1.50 per foot. Talk to Ken at 419-285-5902. The Crew's Nest also has dockage next door to the PIBYC, but this may include a daily memberships. Call them at 419-285-3625. I talked to tornado sailor, Mark Scarpelli at Squaw Harbor Marina and he will give us a special rate of $20 per night. He should be back at the Island soon. Call him at B 419-285-5723 or C 419-341-0536. The city of Put-in-bay has been offering free dockage during the week, but you will need to make those arrangements with the dock master when you are at the Bay during the Mills Race or you can call 419-285 2068 or 419-285-2076. The Municipal Docks will fill up on the weekend and will not be readily available during the Seminar.

Lodging is also at a premium. Jim and I plan to stay on our boat and utilize the fine facilities at PIBYC. Or you might want to stay at Rick's Place....House in the Woods, call 305-451-3287. Or you can check with the Chamber of Commerce at 419-285-2832. Call Now!

Jim and I will provide lunches at the Club. It's dinner on your own Friday and Saturday night. PIBYC will have the bar open and they also will be serving dinners on Thursday and Friday evenings.

This is an island, so call me with any questions about any logistics. Everything is within walking distance or you can grab a cab, so you won't need a car while you are on the island. The Jet Express would be the logical choice for transportation to and from Put-in-Bay, if you are keeping your boat on the island. On Thursdays, JET departs Port Clinton every 45-90 mins from 8am to 11:30pm. You can call 1-800-245-1538 for an updated schedule and Fare information.

It is only a 10 mile sail from Port Clinton to Put-in-Bay. I can direct you to the public launching facilities at Port Clinton. There is also public launching at Catawba Island, which is even closer...6 miles.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums