Catsailor.com

Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see

Posted By: Wouter

Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 11/21/11 03:54 PM

Matt and crew do a number on film during hirams, a must see

It is towards the end in sight of the finish.

http://vimeo.com/32382270
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 11/21/11 05:04 PM

that was a pretty epic pitchpole.

Very violent, love it!
Posted By: PTP

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 11/23/11 12:41 AM

any damage to the boat from that? I am impressed if there wasn't any. That was a quick stop and the point loading must have been fierce!!
Posted By: Gilo

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 11/23/11 06:57 AM

Daggerboard was hurt, that's all.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 11/23/11 12:52 PM

Take a close look at the high side daggerboard when the boat is on it's side. Looks like some mud stuck on the tip, or maybe it's delaminated?

Quite a show Matt! What I want to know is, how did Ding and Karl get through there without hitting bottom? Even if you have the boards all the way up, the rudders are still going to drag. Did you not follow their line through the shallow part?
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 11/23/11 01:04 PM

If you watch the film Craig shot, you can see the waves breaking on the shoal. Ding Jibed and went right next to it, probably missed it by less than half a boat width. We apparently went a boat length farther, so i for sure would not have to jibe again at the finish - (Nice planning in hind site - no blush)

It was cochina. Took off the bottom few inches of both boards, and scuffed up the bow pretty good, but no major damage
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 11/23/11 02:54 PM

Well...come on down to Sebring, nice clear water and sandy bottom, where you can actually see bottom long before you hit it! It looks like it will be blowing out there today, I'm going out while momma makes the food for tomorrow (but I have to do the bird tomorrow, payback's a bitch).

Yesterday my 3 daughters all piled on the Hobie 14 (that must be a record!) while I took the blue healer on the Prindle 18 and chased them around the lake. I've got to come up with some type of a doggy trap seat for him, he's always running to the low side instead of trapping with me!

Have a great Thanksgiving boys and girls, I just hope there's wind! If there's not, I guess I'll have to watch football...
Posted By: SoggyCheetoh

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 11/23/11 05:18 PM

Great Video!
Posted By: pgp

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 11/23/11 05:22 PM

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Posted By: JJ_

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 12/02/11 02:07 AM

Wondered too about the damage.

I must say, that is a great, great advertisement for the build of that boat! I figured the dagger well would have been knocked sideways and the hull split in two.
Posted By: Seeker

Re: Matt and Dan do a number on film during hirams, a must see - 12/02/11 03:18 AM

Matt I think you set the "bar" for Catamaran strength...now everything will have to compared to the Falcon.

Go back and set a buoy on the exact site (with a stick marked with the proper low tide ) so the other boat builders can see if they can survive the impact at the same wind & boat speed. You sure shot the "a minimum weight F16 is too fragile" argument full of holes...ha! how they going to justify their overweight beasts now....LOL...running the Falcon aground on video might be the best marketing tool God ever laid in your lap.

Your boat and straight boards held up nicely....I love the concept of the curved dagger boards but wonder what damage would have been sustained when hitting the tips positioned inboard of the center line. That extra leverage might have done a lot more damage on the end of that lever arm...LOL

If a minimum weight F16 hull is a virtual egg shell, then the Falcon is one tough egg! From now on, every time someone comes in wanting to raise the minimum weight, just re-post the video of the impact... that should shut them up.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums