Catsailor.com

Problem with my Stealth. Need help

Posted By: Bertrand Mazuir

Problem with my Stealth. Need help - 07/14/13 04:02 PM

Hi All,

I have a problem with a thread on a hull of my Stealth (used to put together the hull and the beam).
It has been damaged certainly because of a too hard tightening.

So now I need to repair it and I see 2 solutions :

Drill to put a M12 screw (currently M10). But I'm not sure if it is feasable as I don't know how is the block of the thread.

Repair with a HELICOIL system :
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/1015/0900766b810150a0.pdf

Did somebody have this kind of experience on a Stealth. What would you recommend ?

Many thanks for your help
Bertrand
Stealth 539
Posted By: bacho

Re: Problem with my Stealth. Need help - 07/18/13 02:51 PM

Is the insert in the hull aluminum or stainless?

I would be tempted to try a 12mm bolt first, I haven't been real impressed with helicoils. The other option would be to try to put a nut on the bolt if you have access.
Posted By: waynemarlow

Re: Problem with my Stealth. Need help - 07/20/13 10:55 AM

You will be fine with either a larger bolt or helicoil, the early Stealths had an Ali block imbedded in the back of the layup and the later ones had a Delron ( or something similar ). Most people forget to put some sort of grease on bolts and eventually corrosion between dis-similar metals locks the threads.

John Pierce the maker of the Stealths is still about, have you tried contacting him ?
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Problem with my Stealth. Need help - 07/25/13 03:14 AM

My 2002 had alum plates, poorly glassed in. I had to go in thru the transom to fix when retapping didn't work. I have a fairly extensive series of pic of the process if desired.

Dave
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Problem with my Stealth. Need help - 07/31/13 07:43 PM

I Helicoiled one of mine; fairly simple process
Posted By: john_nohj

Re: Problem with my Stealth. Need help - 12/29/13 04:10 PM

Davefarmer id really like to see those pics. Previous owner had used brass screws to fix in the gudgeons and I sheared off all 6 heads trying to take them out. Trying to figure out best solution now.
Also does anyone have John Pierces email/contact details? Tried emailing the stealthmarine email address for replacement parts and have had no reply. Maybe just because its Christmas?
Thanks,
John_nohj
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Problem with my Stealth. Need help - 02/23/14 05:04 PM

I found this:

stealthmarine@tiscali.co.uk

worked a couple years ago
Posted By: Dermot

Re: Problem with my Stealth. Need help - 03/07/14 11:10 PM

Or this: Stealthmar@aol.com
Posted By: NacramanUK

Re: Problem with my Stealth. Need help - 03/13/14 12:22 PM

All stealth moulds (hull, foils and mast) now with Pete Jary (Zest Racing) who is in Southampton with production starting very soon. Please pm me for more details (carl@nacra.co.uk )....
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums