Catsailor.com

WAVE tuning to race

Posted By: 94Blue

WAVE tuning to race - 11/10/13 05:44 PM

hey guys, i can' seem to piece together the ideas i've come across to rig the boat to race. Is there a compilation of race tuning anywhere?
Thanks Charleston, SC
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: WAVE tuning to race - 11/12/13 11:44 AM

Use a ten hole forestay adjuster to rake the mast back, thus using your rudders as boards. Make sure the tiller feels neutral.
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: WAVE tuning to race - 11/12/13 04:49 PM

Same good advice you gave me. I will add:

There is a lot of variation in Wave standing rigging, if the sail jams the tiller cross bar, you have probably raked the mast back too far.
Posted By: 94Blue

Re: WAVE tuning to race - 11/17/13 03:32 PM

Hey Thanks Rick, good start for sure, how bout side stays? How hard is too hard on the mainsheet related to speed vs point, sail dead downwind or angles like all the other cats sail, etc.
thanks,
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: WAVE tuning to race - 11/18/13 08:51 PM

Sides stays are pretty loose, as on reaches and downwinds the sail can keep shape as the loose rig gives to accomodate the sailshape.

I have been double blocking my main, but I am very aft raked.., besides the 10 hole, I also have the spreader wire attached by shackles. Eliminated side stay adjusters and just us shacles.

With stock Hobie sails you cannot sheet very tight. With after market you can sheet a lot tighter and not loose speed. Calvert sails seem to be able to point a little better than most after market sails.

Downwind head for the mark, but look back for puffs to get into. Tacking downwind rarely pays. That is why official Wave course try to all but eliminate the downwind leg -- boring!
Rick
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums