Originally Posted by pgp
I'm always on a mission. But, I'd never read the intersection analogy. Thanks.

Care to go into the gates? I have gotten lost and just bailed out. It's easy to figure what I want to do, at first, but at a crowded gate things can change quickly.

The same rules apply (P/W, W/L), but now you have the concept of mark room overlaid on top of them.

In talking about this, I always refer to the right / left gate/side as if I was looking upwind. We'll keep it simple with only two boats on opposite tacks travelling at roughly the same speed.

In general:
  • If you are on starboard tack, coming in from the RIGHT side and want to round the RIGHT gate (jibing to do so), you have the right of way, period. You are allowed to make a tactical rounding.
  • If you are starboard tack, coming in from the RIGHT side and want to round the LEFT gate (without jibing), you have the right of way, but must give mark room to boats on port rounding the mark.
  • If you are on port tack, coming in from the LEFT side and want to round the LEFT gate (jibing to do so), you do not have the right of way, however, you may be entitled to mark room. You are NOT allowed to make a tactical rounding if someone on starboard tack is giving you mark room.
  • If you are port tack, coming in from the LEFT side and want to round the RIGHT gate (without jibing), you do not have the right of way, and must keep clear of boats on starboard, period.
Coming in on port and going right is the high-risk maneuver. Unfortunately, it's the one way we're "familiar" with, since with marks left to port, that's the way we usually round.

When I've introduced gates to some monohull classes, they will consistently favor the right mark - even if it's not the favored mark - because that's the way they're used to rounding the leeward mark. That is, until someone goes the other way and kicks their butt back to the weather mark. Then you start to see a more even split (which is the goal of the RC).