Originally Posted by mbounds
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
The US put a handful of sailors into the medal round.

Not in the N17 class in Miami. That's what we're talking about, right? The highest placing US sailor was Mike Easton in 21st. Not bad, given his limited experience with the boat, but not good enough for the medal race.

I was trying to be optimistic... and not say our N17 sailors sucked.... rather make the point that the entire US sailing scene has structural problems... few medal round appearances and no medals.

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
What accounts for the International Fleet getting blitzed in the big breeze?

WTheF are you talking about? Most of the "International Fleet" was able to handle the breeze.

18 of 49 teams bailed on the first day. Including 2 teams who finished in top 25.
2 more of those teams were top of the pecking order teams (Sui and Rus) and BAD LUCK on the water... took them out of the regatta because of no parts available.

Yes... some sailors manage the conditions ... What is the impact on the game of sailboat racing.

Discount the US teams... and still that is a large portion of the international teams that made a risk reward calculation in 18 to 22 with 10 knot puffs....
I think these numbers support my point Your WORDS... TWITCHY boat (half baked design) makes for BAD LUCK a significant part of the game.

Re: the decision to race - PU had some serious balls to go against the Miami OA - and was lucky he had the support of the T sailors. He got invited back only because he really was (is) that good. A move like that by a course RO now would get you a nice "thank-you, your services are no longer needed" note for not being a "team player".

Yup... a conflict of interest ... My point... its best to resolve this before you get on the water.

So.... the current status.. "Team Player" trumps Safety and Excellence in Race Management...

What do people think will happen when somebody dies?

Here are some recent examples!
Answer: The US Coast Guard went nuts on OA race management for "coastal" distance races and now regulate them as OFF SHORE events after the pacific north west accident... Now... the Down the Bay race on the Chesapeake requires offshore gear. IE $$$$ or you break the rules/cheat (grin).

Answer: Severn Sailing has a member's kid die in a 420 racing accident and now they use Hobie Bobs... no spinakers and have deemphasized their two person 420 junior racing program in Annapolis.

Answer: the America's cup OA puts in wind limits to manage the racing after a boat blows up and a pro sailor dies... even tho... it was probably a design flaw at the root of it.

What do you think happens?

(Oh... and this is before the US legal system takes over and assesses liability and then the insurance industry assigns responsibility and $$$)

We do have some experience with this... The Tornado fleet did have an Olympic level sailor die in a turtle capsize after being stuck in the rigging in an ISAF event overseas. The outcome was compartmentalized and forgotten... Will that work in a North American context?

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 02/04/15 03:01 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com