Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
so, wait... you can only "cheat" if there is some 'code of honor' in whatever sport or occupation you're considering?

If you are driving faster than the speed limit, you are indeed cheating (and technically breaking a law).

I guess the real question in that situation would be "Are you upset when you find yourself speeding, or are you upset when you find the blinky lights behind you?"

Seems no one is really sorry about something until they're caught. So to me, I guess they're really only sorry about getting caught...

Yup... when you break your word to honor the rules... then you are a cheat...
If I count cards in black jack... am I a cheater?

With out a code of honor, the line between gamesmanship and cheating is arbitrary.

When you get married, you make public vows.... give your word to honor your vow. Therefore when you screw around... you are cheating... You are NOT breaking a law just a rule that you gave your word to honor.

I see speeding as when I am breaking the law... and I am not sorry that the blinky lights are behind me... I am pissed. I don't see any moral high ground in traffic laws or NFL rules. I certainly don't remember taking an oath to honor all traffic law. I agreed to respect and agree that I should respect them most of the time as a matter of safety and workability.

I just think that the term cheating is misapplied here and don't think that we need throw moral stones at the guy, ie... demand that he is sorry and contrite ... especially for breaking rules in a game made up for mass entertainment. So, I doubt Jerry Rice is sorry that he used and got away with stickem on his hands.... ditto Tom Brady.

Hey... if the NFL had a moral high ground .... they would demand the Washington football team change the name Redskins to something other then an ancient racial slur. The NFL is a rule based organization... the don't do morals.

crac.sailregattas.com