Although I didn't witness the incident I was sailing in the race. I would venture to say that the lake is one of the most sailed on lakes anywhere. Regattas take place nearly every weekend during the warm months. The 8 marks on the lake are essentially permanent when the ice is off the lake. Some marks are very close to shore, which facilitates great spectating but brings the sailing close to shore.

So unless it was the fisherman's very first time there ever, he should have known what was going on.

Basically, an unfortunate "accident" occurred. Rhino on his Nacra 5.8na had no way to avoid the lines by the time they were visible without ramming a Bimare XJ. No one was injured, just a $20 WalMart fishing pole goes in the drink. Normal humans would have discussed and resolved it. At most, Rhino could have offered to split the cost of a replacement as a goodwill gesture but not an admission of culpability.

When the "victim" went berserk (my kids heard him cussin' 300 yards away), the police should have been called. The likely outcome would have been: Drunk Fisherman Disrupts Regatta.

Instead, Rhino pays $250...outrageous. So why did it happen?

Other well-meaning sailors on the beach--not wanting bad blood with other boaters (and I understand that)--sided with the ranting, out of control "victim," claiming they would help pay for the lost gear. Well, they and their check books all disappeared as soon as the crazy man felt validated.

Rhino, I say cancel the check!

I'm happy to share the water with powerboaters, fisherman, swimmers, etc; but it makes no sense to validate irrational and unjustified tirades.

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California