11/13/02 08:09 PM
11/13/02 08:09 PM
Key Largo, FL
MaryAWells Offline OP
enthusiast
MaryAWells  Offline OP
enthusiast

Key Largo, FL
I'm sorry, but I have seen this "LOL" thing used in a lot of posts, and I have absolutely no idea what it means. Before posting what is probably a totally stupid question I asked my husband if he knows what it means. He does not. I get really, really (I'll use a nice word) annoyed when people use initials and acronyms and do not say what they mean. It's like classified ads that use initials for things to save space. But you don't have to save space here, you're not paying by the letter, and it doesn't take that much more time to just type out the whole thing -- whatever it is!!??
I am waiting in suspense for an answer. And when I get it, I will have to go back through all the posts that contain that "LOL" thing, so perhaps I can understand them better.

Mary A. Wells
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: What is LOL? [Re: MaryAWells] #13035
11/13/02 08:24 PM
11/13/02 08:24 PM
So Cal, USA
HeadItUp Offline
stranger
HeadItUp  Offline
stranger

So Cal, USA
I understand LOL to be computer lingo for Laughing Out Loud. You've got to admit, it's alot easier then trying to type the whole thing while you're cracking up.

Cheers, Teri

IMHO, Luv'em Or Leave'em (NM) [Re: MaryAWells] #13036
11/13/02 08:28 PM
11/13/02 08:28 PM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: IMHO, Luv'em Or Leave'em (NM) [Re: ejpoulsen] #13037
11/13/02 08:42 PM
11/13/02 08:42 PM
W
willysjeepster Offline
stranger
willysjeepster  Offline
stranger
W

ROFLMAO

Re: IMHO, Luv'em Or Leave'em (NM) [Re: willysjeepster] #13038
11/13/02 08:50 PM
11/13/02 08:50 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I'm sure there's an internet etiquette guide (did I spell that right?) out there somewhere....there's a TON more...

LOL - Laughing out loud
IMHO - In my honest opinion
LOLAROTF - laughing out loud and rolling on the floor

These were invariably invented by a bunch of folks who had nothing better to do than sit in a chat room and make up this stuff....pretty funny and convenient though!

Jake Kohl
Re: What is LOL? [Re: MaryAWells] #13039
11/13/02 09:00 PM
11/13/02 09:00 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Hi Mary, Here are two website addresses that will help you with e-mail etiquette, abbreviations, and emoticons. I found them simply by putting "e-mail abbreviations" in the MSN home page search box and taking the first two that the search listed. (any good search engine will do) They are: http://www.iwillfollow.com/email.htm and
http://www.learnthenet.com/english/html/25smile.htm

You can find almost anything quickly and easily on the internet, especially computer related!

Mike

Re: What is LOL? [Re: MaryAWells] #13040
11/13/02 09:05 PM
11/13/02 09:05 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm pretty sure Dave is saying Laughing Out Loud.

Mike

Have Fun
Forget LOL, what about ROFLMAO, or ROFLMFAO!!! [Re: MaryAWells] #13041
11/13/02 09:19 PM
11/13/02 09:19 PM
Long Island, NY
Ed Norris Offline
enthusiast
Ed Norris  Offline
enthusiast

Long Island, NY
The first one is "rolling on floor, laughing my A$$ off" The second is quite similar. You do the math.

Sail Fast, Ed Norris
Re: What is LOL? [Re: MaryAWells] #13042
11/14/02 08:41 AM
11/14/02 08:41 AM
Crystal Beach/Dunedin CSWY Fl.
catsailorp19mx Offline
enthusiast
catsailorp19mx  Offline
enthusiast

Crystal Beach/Dunedin CSWY Fl.
Hi Mary,

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any confusion that I may have been guilty of causing by posting Laughing Out Loud. It certainly was not intended.

My personal explanation as to WHY phrases, limited key strokes and emotions (icons if you will) are sometimes used over the computer........
In normal "face to face" conversations, we have the luxury of being able to physically accentuate what we are saying. I suppose "body language" could be a description. Over the computer (unless you have a net cam) this is not possible. Sometimes it can be benefit NOT being able to express how you really feel.

So, IF you are comfortable with the person (or persons, as is the case on the forum) the interjection of an emotion, short cut.....or what have you adds a bit of color (not everyone sees it that way) to your keyboard. LOL (laughing out loud) just means that whatever you are expressing, is a little stronger than a grin or smile.

You have made an excellent point by bringing up your confusion (thus my apology) in that I am guilty in assuming that everyone is aware of the "lingo". I will try to keep that in mind.

Thank you,
Dave Peters

Re: What is LOL? [Re: MaryAWells] #13043
11/14/02 11:07 AM
11/14/02 11:07 AM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI

Hi Mary

There have been some good sci fi --{science fiction } --- "---"stories written on time travel where people in the future speaking the same language can not be understood because they speak at a highly accelerated and abbrieviated rate ,yet in a very direct simpliefied way.--
Seems like we are definately headed in that direction ,-numerous new examples in everyday life we all continuously accept as common language .

off subject rant follows here --sorry ->
-We would as a nation and a global community be wise to first as Shakespear suggested a few centuries ago --kill the lawyers ,-then all sleazy polititians with their false political ads and constant misdirected lies . -dictators that assume power by the same means in a larger sence,manipulating media , and powerfull media themselves that become so politically bias or controlled by factions that they no longer present truth or fact ,-just yellow journalism and editorial bias slant ,--presenting that as factual reporting .
We understand the danger of it when reading exerps from Al Jazera with Osama,s statement and views presented only , Or conversely our media reporting what seems to be a systematic extermination of native people in Israel to aquire land now presented by media here and reported and labeled with the lattest catchwords-{ potential terrorists } as an excuse to use U S supplied F-15 fighterjets -and tanks to do so ,-then bulldoze their homes .
A spoiled Saudi multimillionare brat playing international terrorist manipulating religious zealots , or U S media presenting 95 % OF ONE SIDE of the issue .
The dangers are now clear ,-terrorist attack to provoke and escalate responce , further insighting the other side to respond , Sadam's game plan now becomes to further insight neighboring countries with media , or direct missle or bio attack or invasion as shown previously ,--potential nuclear or bio attack can potentially result from this ---the hipocracy of both sides ,UNLESS -more inteligent people see through it ,-seek truth ,-fact ,-and take action to avoid the potential loss of many more millions in the next world war .
Once one side or the other can successfully label the other as hated enemy in so many catch phrases and words and sell that in so many misdirected misrepresented means that language presently helps allow we are doomed to repeat world history , just different players in different roles ,again as Shakespear noted centuries earlier .
end rant ,-

Moreso as we see in everyday life our use of new abbrev .terms and in the future people taking a subject that may take several paragraphs and sentences and conveying the context meaning and concept in half the time using abbrev. and direct simplified meaning .
-Though potentially very confusing if your crossing subject ,-cultures ,-vocational language ,--or street talk -slang ,--for instance -
IMHO could easily be misconstrued on the street to -IMaHO --- joking again ,--
-Place me in a medical or hospital situation and I,ve no idea of what is being said ,--having never been a patient or direct contact with medical training beyond CPR --there's another one ! -
The construction industry has its own language and abbrev . terms to go with it , design occupation ,--as does naval architecture ,-a hobby ,-
We see used often on catsailor abbrev. like C E -meaning Center of Effort of the sailplan ,--CLR center of lateral resistence ,-meaning center of underwater side area profile including rudders and boards .
L-is length --LOA -is length over all ,-LWL is length water line ,--B -beam -and through the list -
a good reference source is the ISAF rating diagram for small cats --
-http://www.schrs.com/cgi-bin/doc/schrscalculation.xls

Seems the global economy ,-move towards commonly shared language , readily available world travel --age of internet ,-and instant communication ,-space exploration and potential discovery of new worlds ,-all these aspects bring hope for a better future .
Maybe someday we can evan agree on a commonly shared international rating system for catamarans
-Sailing on the worlds oceans ,being a commonly shared international sport , viewed and practised in that context does help make the world a little better place .

Sail safe
have fun
Carl

Re: Potential terrorists [Re: sail6000] #13044
11/14/02 12:20 PM
11/14/02 12:20 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Sorry for posting off topic, but I think Carl's casual observation about "potential terrorists" deserves a reply.

I guess his assesment of what a "potential terrorist" is would change if, for example, native americans started bombing school buses, hospitals, etc.

Actually, the situation in Israel is even more unfair then that:
Imagine that you are a native american, your land is taken by newcomers, you manage to rebuild your country from scratch after thousands of years of suffering and then the former newcomers start bombing civilians, training children to kill people and so on, while they still use all the public services YOUR people built and claim they have the divine right to kill YOU ALL.

Does not sound very good, but is exactly what is going on.
Take care,
Luiz Schechter

Luiz
Re: What is LOL? [Re: sail6000] #13045
11/14/02 01:25 PM
11/14/02 01:25 PM
Key Largo, FL
MaryAWells Offline OP
enthusiast
MaryAWells  Offline OP
enthusiast

Key Largo, FL
Dear Carl,
Your reply has me COL. See, I'm a fast learner.

Mary A. Wells
Re:- [Re: Luiz] #13046
11/14/02 02:58 PM
11/14/02 02:58 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI
Hi Luiz

your right ,-my appologies ,-presented one side without the other you provided ,which are understood perfectly and supported to an extent.
post was a quick commentary on abbreviation and communication in general .
There is so much in the news, think like so many people I,m reacting to it ,-just read Iraq's letter to the U N , --http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,70253,00.html

Not for Sadam ,-but for the sake of many neighboring countries and the world how does the U N AND U S address these issues .

-

Re: What is LOL? [Re: MaryAWells] #13047
11/14/02 05:00 PM
11/14/02 05:00 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
COL???? "Cutting Off Leg"? What is that one?

Jake Kohl
Re: Potential terrorists [Re: Luiz] #13048
11/14/02 05:01 PM
11/14/02 05:01 PM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
With regard to the situation in the middle east, Luiz says,
[color:"red"] "Actually, the situation in Israel is even more unfair then that:
Imagine that you are a native american, your land is taken by newcomers, you manage to rebuild your country from scratch after thousands of years of suffering and then the former newcomers start bombing civilians, training children to kill people and so on, while they still use all the public services YOUR people built and claim they have the divine right to kill YOU ALL.

Does not sound very good, but is exactly what is going on."
[/color]

Luiz,

Following the September, 1993 signing of the Oslo I peace accord, I spent time working in the Gaza Strip and other West Bank communities as a member of a team of consultants performing a USAID sponsored Municipal Management Assessment for the Palestinian autonomous area. While doing the work, I lived in Gaza, but also spent a fair amount of time in Jerusalem.

I can assure you that what you stated in your response to Carl is NOT "exactly what is going on". It may, in fact, be your OPINION about what is going on, but, like the media's portrayal of events, it is merely an opinion.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program . . .

Kevin Rose N6.0na #215 Lake Champlain (New England's "west coast") Burlington, Vermont
Re: Potential terrorists [Re: Kevin Rose] #13049
11/14/02 07:19 PM
11/14/02 07:19 PM
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

After thousands of years of killing each other the reasons don't matter. Each side can make a case. So I'll use this, LOL.......LOTS OF LUCK

Mike

Have Fun
Re: What is LOL? [Re: MaryAWells] #13050
11/14/02 07:42 PM
11/14/02 07:42 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
Lots of luck...

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Re: What is LOL? [Re: Jake] #13051
11/14/02 09:24 PM
11/14/02 09:24 PM
Key Largo, FL
MaryAWells Offline OP
enthusiast
MaryAWells  Offline OP
enthusiast

Key Largo, FL
Jake,
Thank you for making my point. I just figured if laughing out loud is LOL, then crying out loud would be COL.

Mary A. Wells
Re: What is LOL? [Re: MaryAWells] #13052
11/15/02 04:40 PM
11/15/02 04:40 PM
MERRITTISLAND, FL
Matt M Offline
addict
Matt M  Offline
addict

MERRITTISLAND, FL
Mary,

In case you were serious, LOL means length on load line.
It is typically used in shipping and work type power boats.

Matt

Re: What is LOL? [Re: Matt M] #13053
11/15/02 06:45 PM
11/15/02 06:45 PM
Key Largo, FL
MaryAWells Offline OP
enthusiast
MaryAWells  Offline OP
enthusiast

Key Largo, FL
Matt,
Thank you, also, for helping to make my point. And ironically, when I was trying to figure out what it meant, I was thinking length on something, but I didn't know what. Thank you for adding the load line.

Mary A. Wells
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (FredL), 626 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022