10/09/08 09:19 AM
10/09/08 09:19 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline OP
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline OP
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
I'm up for some winter sailing again this year. Thinking about doing the Steeplechase and Tradewinds races in the Keys. I did this last year and it was great.

With gas prices what they are. I did a little math unfortunately. I'm going to spend about $660 in gas round trip with the trailer to the Keys and back. That's a lot of dough not to mention all of the other expenses.

It just seems like a waste for a 1 and 1/2 day regatta for Tradewinds. Often we end up getting a bad day of weather anyway which can totally make it a waste.

I would propose making it a 3 day regatta. This way if we get a bad day of weather we can still get a good regatta in.

The park is a great locations. We really enjoyed the perfect place where we have it now.

We also need to figure out a way to not have so much time wasted between races. Last year I think we sat out there for 45 minutes in 25 knots waiting for the next race. That is really painful. I know they had the short mark for the waves. Could we have a short mark for the 16's so that we can all finish close to the same time?

I'm not complaining. I really appreciate the time and energy it takes to put these races on. I just would like to see this event grow and become a "must do" regatta for everyone.

They could make it 3 days extended over to Monday (Martin Luther King Day). Or just start it on Friday?

What say you all?

Mike Hill
Nacra 20 #1005

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Why not make Tradewinds a 3 day regatta this year? [Re: Mike Hill] #156777
10/09/08 09:24 AM
10/09/08 09:24 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I'm up for some winter sailing again this year. Thinking about doing the Steeplechase and Tradewinds races in the Keys. I did this last year and it was great.

With gas prices what they are. I did a little math unfortunately. I'm going to spend about $660 in gas round trip with the trailer to the Keys and back. That's a lot of dough not to mention all of the other expenses.

It just seems like a waste for a 1 and 1/2 day regatta for Tradewinds. Often we end up getting a bad day of weather anyway which can totally make it a waste.

I would propose making it a 3 day regatta. This way if we get a bad day of weather we can still get a good regatta in.

The park is a great locations. We really enjoyed the perfect place where we have it now.

We also need to figure out a way to not have so much time wasted between races. Last year I think we sat out there for 45 minutes in 25 knots waiting for the next race. That is really painful. I know they had the short mark for the waves. Could we have a short mark for the 16's so that we can all finish close to the same time?

I'm not complaining. I really appreciate the time and energy it takes to put these races on. I just would like to see this event grow and become a "must do" regatta for everyone.

They could make it 3 days extended over to Monday (Martin Luther King Day). Or just start it on Friday?

What say you all?

Mike Hill
Nacra 20 #1005

I gotta tell you , that double line thing Hank came up with at Spring Fever is the BOMB for getting races rolling fast in a large mixed regatta! A start line at the bottom of the course sets you sailing up the course. A separate finish line above A records finish times. Once you finish, you make your way back to the starting area by sailing on the outside of the course back and once the RC has the next fleet waiting, they start a sequence completely irrespective of who's finishing or at what position on the course. With this system, we don't queue for more than 5 or 10 minutes between races and get an incredible number of heats in.

Granted, this assumes that there is enough race committee to pull this off and that the course won't need to be changed...it would be impossible to make any kind of course change under this system since you have boats racing at all times.

Jake Kohl
Re: Why not make Tradewinds a 3 day regatta this year? [Re: Jake] #156778
10/09/08 09:29 AM
10/09/08 09:29 AM
BrianK Offline
addict
BrianK  Offline
addict

Dont use the old starting system. Takes care of the problem.

Mike, your more than welcome to crash at my house on the way down and/or back if you need a stop. Youll have to fight Trey for the couch though.

Re: Why not make Tradewinds a 3 day regatta this year? [Re: Jake] #156779
10/09/08 09:43 AM
10/09/08 09:43 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
I'm also a fan of the seperate start/finish used at Spring Fever, I also agree that the new start sequence would help.

Making it a 3 day event using the same optional Friday system used at Spring Fever would enhance the regatta, assuming of course there are the volunteers to make it happen.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Why not make Tradewinds a 3 day regatta this year? [Re: David Ingram] #156780
10/09/08 12:47 PM
10/09/08 12:47 PM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

I'm up for it. Sail the 12th thru 16th on the A-cat at the Islander, and then drop in on Tradewinds with the F18 for the weekend...

Re: Why not make Tradewinds a 3 day regatta this year? [Re: mikekrantz] #156781
10/09/08 01:09 PM
10/09/08 01:09 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
I'm up for it. Sail the 12th thru 16th on the A-cat at the Islander, and then drop in on Tradewinds with the F18 for the weekend...

NICE!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Why not make Tradewinds a 3 day regatta this year? [Re: David Ingram] #156782
10/09/08 01:11 PM
10/09/08 01:11 PM
Home is where the harness is.....
Will_R Offline
old hand
Will_R  Offline
old hand

Home is where the harness is.....
I also agree that the new start sequence would help.

Been a couple of years since I made Tradewinds... are they still using the old start sequence???

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 297 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022