08/27/03 09:37 AM
08/27/03 09:37 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
We was out sailing on our Tornado in 6-8 m/s yesterday, with gusts up to 10-12 m/s

We went on starboard tack quite a distance after launching, before we tacked to port. 2 seconds after tacking, while powering up we heard a 'pomm' and the mast slowly fell over to starboard. We where both on the trapeze when the mast fell, weighting about 200 Kg with equipment and wet clothes.

After getting the sails down and secured, the harbourmaster gave us a tow back to the club. Not a lot broken, we will probably be back on the water by friday. But...

After inspecting the rigging and the hulls, it seems like the bolt holding port sidestays broke. We always tape the splints for the bolts, and the tape was there when we tightened the rigging. I have heard of broken sidestays and other rigging, but broken rig bolts ??

We assembled the boat in the end of june, and would have detected any bends or obvious cracks in the bolts then..

The good thing about this story. We got some media coverage in the lokal paper ( http://www.r-b.no/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?AID=/20030827/LOKALNYTT/103082704 ) and we finished with this years major breakage before the international German championship.

We also got to practice our emergency chinese fire drills

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Huh, how did _THAT_ break [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #23652
09/02/03 10:06 AM
09/02/03 10:06 AM
Western New York
wyatt Offline
enthusiast
wyatt  Offline
enthusiast

Western New York
I've heard of broken bolts connecting the hulls to the shrouds, and I don't know how you check for them. I have seen shackles twisted as you raise the mast; maybe that's what stressed them.

Mystery?

Re: Huh, how did _THAT_ break [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #23653
09/03/03 12:51 AM
09/03/03 12:51 AM
hobie541 Offline
enthusiast
hobie541  Offline
enthusiast

God Dag, Rolf!

Det var morsomme aa lese om deg!

Oh if only I could remember my "norsk" well enough to properly express myself. I really enjoyed reading the article, and trying to remember my Norwegian classes from college. Scandinavian Studies was my minor of all things. It's easier to read than it is to compose, on my part!

So what's it like sailing a catamaran in a fjord? Hvor er Moldefjorden?

Vennlig Hilsen,

Tim J.

Tim D. Johnson Hobie 20 #690 Bald Eagle Yacht Club, Fleet 52 www.beyc.org
Re: Huh, how did _THAT_ break [Re: hobie541] #23654
09/03/03 03:50 AM
09/03/03 03:50 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
God morgen!

I also find it easier to read foreign languages as compared to composing, or even worse, speaking them.
I did not know that you could learn norwegian at college 'over there'. It would be fun to know why you choose to struggle with our grammar, and somewhat special vocal sounds.

Sailing in the deep of a norwegian fjord is a lot like sailing on a lake. The wind is either 'on', or 'off'. You have veers of 40 - 90 and sometimes 180 degrees. The water stays warm up til the end of september. Then you better bring out your drysuit. The tides are regular and easy to follow, and the sea is usually quite calm unless it really is blowing from west.
Cat sailing is a very small part of sailing in Norway, so we are always the boat to beat when we are sailing on handicap with the monohulls. Also, most monohullers are impressed with the speed and the 'fun factor'. Everybody would like to try it, they say, but most stays bonded to their keel boats.

Molde is on the middle part of the norwegian coastline. At app. 64 degrees north. The climate is unusually kind, with summer temperatures around 18 - 24 degrees celcius, and winter temperatures around -10 to +5 degrees celcius. You can sail most of the winter from our yacht club, but we prefer to take our boat indoors if the temperature drops below freezing point.

Oh, did I mention that it rains a lot ?

Hilsen
Rolf *one of about 5 million people speaking norwegian + Tim, and counting*

Re: Huh, how did _THAT_ break [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #23655
09/05/03 11:04 AM
09/05/03 11:04 AM
hobie541 Offline
enthusiast
hobie541  Offline
enthusiast

Yes! You certainly can learn Norwegian "over here."

My minor was called Scandinavian Studies, and I went to school at a place called Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota. Our school was founded in 1894 or so by Norwegian immigrants.

My ancestory is 3/4 Norwegian, and the other 1/4 is Irish and a mix of other things. One of my relatives, Knut Nelson, was the first Norwegian to be a senator in Minnesota.

I've always been proud of my Norwegian ancestory, and with our college having a foreign language requirement, it was only natural that I learn a language that was near and dear to the family. Both grandmothers and one grandfather spoke the language. In fact, the grandfather who I never knew grew up speaking Norwegian in America, and learned English as his second language!

So...that's the story. I still haven't visited your country. Some day when I find the right economical way to do it, I certainly will. I almost came over on a study abroad program during college, and then our plan fell through at the last minute. What a disappointment!

Vennlig Hilsen,

Tim

Tim D. Johnson Hobie 20 #690 Bald Eagle Yacht Club, Fleet 52 www.beyc.org

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 171 guests, and 103 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022