02/18/04 03:21 PM
02/18/04 03:21 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline OP
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline OP
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
I have recently acquired a Prindle 18 and am fairly inexperienced in cat sailing (though I've sailed monohulls for 20 years and owned one oddball cat for a short time). I've not capsized the Prindle yet, but I expect I might sometime soon while experimenting with flying a hull (a new experience for me). Here's my question: Assuming I have enough crew on board to help with righting (since I always have someone along), is there any difference between any of the following setups to right the boat?

1) A righting line threaded through a grommet on the tramp near the forward crossbar and slung over the upward hull (which Prindle advises in the owner's manual)

2) A righting line tied around the base of the mast and slung over the upward hull (which would seem easier on the tramp)

3) A righting line looped around the upward hull itself near the forward crossbar

Would all of these work equally well, or not? From a physics perspective, I'm having trouble seeing any difference between the three in theory since the line comes over the upward hull in all cases--but I've been around long enough to know that "theory" doesn't always work out in real life!

Any experienced input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Largo, FL

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: question re: righting [Re: papayamon2] #30060
02/18/04 03:41 PM
02/18/04 03:41 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
rope tied around the mast works best for me. not sure about the other methods, but levering the mast out of the water always seems like the easiest method to me.

welcome [Re: papayamon2] #30061
02/18/04 03:42 PM
02/18/04 03:42 PM
Cape Coral, FL
pete_pollard Offline
pete_pollard  Offline

Cape Coral, FL
Sorry I can't help with your question, but someone will come along soon who can!

"Cat Fest Sailor" Pete in Cape Coral
Re: question re: righting [Re: papayamon2] #30062
02/18/04 03:55 PM
02/18/04 03:55 PM
US Western Continental Shelf
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

US Western Continental Shelf
If the rope is tied around the base of the mast, you have a couple of potential problems. One is that the mast might possibly be pulled off of its perch. The other is that the righting line may interfere or hinder mast rotational movement while under way.

If the rope was tied around the hull, it may pivot around so that the righting line would not aim at the upper most portion of the hull, but rather the portion of the hull closest to where you are pulling from.

You do have one more option that will avoid the stress on the tramp grommet that you are apparantly trying to avoid. The righting line rope can be tied to the dolphin striker and then tossed over the skyward hull, without passing throug the grommet. This will work the same as if it were run through the grommet before being tossed over the skyward hull.

Happy Righting! I would like to urge you to make sure that your mast is sealed, airtight and then to go out and do some practice capsizing and recovery so that you won't be surprised by the righting process after being surprised by an accidental capsize.

GARY
Capsize Corrector

Santa Monica Bay
Mystere 6.0 "Whisk" <--- R.I.P.
but... [Re: hobiegary] #30063
02/18/04 04:14 PM
02/18/04 04:14 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline OP
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline OP
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
But the info I've seen from Prindle warns about doing anything that might bend/fold/mutilate the dolphin striker (since it's the "spine" of the boat, so to speak). Have you ever heard any problem in this regard?

Also, regarding looping around the mast, my thought was that I'd keep the line in my tramp pouch and tie (or fast clip) it on at the time of capsize. Is that too ambitious to think that could be done quickly?

Thanks for the info so far!

Kevin

And another thing... [Re: papayamon2] #30064
02/18/04 04:16 PM
02/18/04 04:16 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline OP
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline OP
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
By the way, how do I check to see if the mast is airtight (short of taking it to the beach and throwing it in)? Is there a "backyard" way of accomplishing this?

Thanks again,
Kevin

Re: And another thing... [Re: papayamon2] #30065
02/18/04 04:36 PM
02/18/04 04:36 PM
PSAILOR Offline
PSAILOR  Offline

I have used the method of securing the line to the dolphin striker many times on the P16 and P18. You don't want to ever use the striker to tie the boat down to the trailer or to tow the boat if needed, but for a righting line the line should be tied to the rod and the moment on the rod with the line just below the beam is minimal and will never break or bend that 1/2" rod. Just never use a powerboat to pull it up or tow it from that point.

Righting Line [Re: papayamon2] #30066
02/18/04 05:01 PM
02/18/04 05:01 PM
C
Colin Offline
Colin  Offline
C

Hi Kevin

I tie my righting line to the dolphin striker only. The dolphin striker is very strong when subject to loads from the side. DO NOT let anyone use the righting line to pull your boat up on the beach (fore/aft load). This will easily bend the dolphin striker. If you tie a monkeys fist on the righting line it will be easier to throw over the hull from down in the water.

The other thing that helps righting the boat (especially if you are alone) is to swim to the end of the mast and hang on. The boat will blow down wind from you. When it does swim back to the boat and use the righting line like a trapeze.

FOR PRINDLES: be carefull where you put your weight on the side on the hull. The bottom of the hull is strong, but the inside can not take the pressure of a person standing on it and can delaminate. Pull yourself up from the water using the righting line like you are trapezing off the bottom of the hull - dont stand on the hull and then lower your self toward the water. Lots of prindles had delamination damage from capsize.

When the boat comes up make sure it is spun into the wind. Everyone remembers to uncleat the mainsheet and the traveler - but the jib is the most important sheet to let free (on both sides!). It is easiest to get aboard using the dolphin striker as a step. One would think getting aboard is no more difficult than doing a pullup - but when you are wet and cold it can be tough.

For safety's sake: be very careful of your trapeze hook. Do not let it catch any rigging while you are in the water.

By letting the boat blow downwind I was able to right my old P-16 alone, and I weighed 120 lbs at the time (17 years ago).

Enjoy the Prindle. Those are neat boats.
talk to you later
-colin

Re: question re: righting [Re: papayamon2] #30067
02/18/04 05:13 PM
02/18/04 05:13 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Run the line through the grommet in the trampoline and then tie it to the dolphin striker center post. Any pull on the rope pulls it to the top of the striker where it is strongest and it doesn't pull too much on the trampoline.

Jake Kohl
Re: some other helpfull hints [Re: papayamon2] #30068
02/18/04 05:28 PM
02/18/04 05:28 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI
Hi Kevin

Rick advertises a power pole righting system that folds up under the tramp that makes righting easier and provides added leverage from the extended pole.
-http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jropdpmoo

If you have 2 the righting line works {tied most anywhere } except crews leg thrown over the top hull of sufficent length to allow you to extend out paralell just above the water for max leverage ,then reaching up as the boat begins to right . Some use 2 lengths of larger soft righting line of about 10 ft each tied from each crossbeam end .
There is also something H sailors used to call the Hawian righting system ,-that is just perminent line along the deck length and crossbeam with added shockcord keeping it in place ,but allowing it to extend and used as righting line if you go over ,--Its also handy for the crew to hang onto for extra security on the wire in seas being tied from the stern lead to front crossbeam then diagonally under tramp continuous to the other side w shockcord holding the added length underback to the stern .
Its pretty simple ,-but some say it drags under in waves and is in the way of your feet on the wire.

One thing you must do if capsized on a cat is get the bows pointed into the wind ,-if not then your fighting wind on the tramp , or wind with it ,in which case the boat may right quickly in higher winds and sail away without you
You can get the boat pointed into the wind on its side by either standing out on the bow side and letting the stern swing down wind ,--or just swim the bows head to wind if this doesn,t work .
As the boat rights be carefull as it lands hard ,--do not swim to the back to get back up on the tramp ,-again the boat may turn downwind with you acting as sea anchor and just sail away . grab the front crossbeam and lever yourself up there if possible .
In sailing with female crew I,ve added an extra trap handle on a short lead ,--something crew can reach up and pull themselves up on rather than just a crossbar and ackward height .--the good crew can walk around the front crossbean as it rights and not get wet --again
this takes some practise.
Of course the really good crew doesn,t let you capsize in the first place

Added note --in more severe winds and lighter weight boats the boat may try to continue and flip over again with the righting momentum ,-you must grab hold of the front crossbeam to keep this from occuring ,--again only in much higher winds . -- Really severe winds can just take your cat and cartwheel it away numerous times ,--thats 40 50 mph type storm conditions , if your caught out and did not make it to the beach in time ,just sit it out on the side ,-hopefully you have a cell phone or marine radio in a w p bag with you if your ocean or great lakes sailing .

If your in high wind gusting conditions you may experience a complete inversion {mast down} known affectionetly as a turtle . --To escape this provided the mast is well sealed and not stuck in mud or weeds ,{which always looks good after righting mud and weeds dripping down }
You take the righting line from the opposite crossbar corner to the end of the inverted stern you and crew need to get on ,--this pulling and diagonal torking effect should raise the hull to one side where you can proceed to right .

The best way to check the mast is just take it off the trailer and walk out in the shallows and hold it under while looking for any bubbles.
Getting water out and sealing em can be a real bugger ,
others can advise on that aspect better.

lots of good advice here from many -
Hope that helps
good sailing
Carl

Last edited by sail6000; 02/18/04 05:43 PM.
Re: some other helpfull hints [Re: sail6000] #30069
02/18/04 05:49 PM
02/18/04 05:49 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Good explanation, Carl.
I just want to add that it is probably not a good or safe idea to swim out to the end of the mast to get the boat turned into the wind, ESPECIALLY if you are singlehanding. As Carl said, you can do the same thing by going up on the bow of the boat. If you are at the end of the mast and the boat rights itself, you will be about 30 feet away from the boat and it can easily sail away without you.

Re: some other helpfull hints [Re: Mary] #30070
02/18/04 10:48 PM
02/18/04 10:48 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline OP
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline OP
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
Wow, thanks to everyone for the useful info. I appreciate all the input. I will hopefully try a couple of controlled dumps soon (when the water gets warmer!!!)

Kevin

Re: some other helpfull hints [Re: Mary] #30071
02/19/04 08:41 AM
02/19/04 08:41 AM
S. Florida
BRoberts Offline
enthusiast
BRoberts  Offline
enthusiast

S. Florida
Hi Mary,
How about the drag chute off the bow to turn the boat into the wind? Next how about forcing the leech of the mainsail down to the water and then the lift from the mainsail will right the boat. No righting line required.
Bill

Re: some other helpfull hints [Re: BRoberts] #30072
02/19/04 09:01 AM
02/19/04 09:01 AM
FL
sail7seas Offline
addict
sail7seas  Offline
addict

FL
Bill,
What diameter drag chute?
(say for a 16'-20' cat)
Can you sheet in the main on the low side to keep the leech down in the water?
My guess is 12-15 kn of wind would be needed for this method?
How about adding drag chute off the high hull at lower wind ranges?
Thank,
Chris

Re: some other helpfull hints [Re: sail7seas] #30073
02/19/04 12:09 PM
02/19/04 12:09 PM
S. Florida
BRoberts Offline
enthusiast
BRoberts  Offline
enthusiast

S. Florida
Hi Chris,
Four to five feet in diameter will do the job.
Free up the traveller control line. Sheet the main in tight. Stand on the side of the mainsheet block.
If you turn over in less than 12kn, you have big problems.
Bill

Re: question re: righting [Re: papayamon2] #30074
02/19/04 01:49 PM
02/19/04 01:49 PM
Annapolis, Maryland
Marschassault Offline
stranger
Marschassault  Offline
stranger

Annapolis, Maryland
Hey Kevin,

Old P18 owner…..

First, here is where your righting lines should be,

File Attached

You’re looking at the under-side of the boat (all lines under tramp). The red line is your righting line. The Blue line is a bungee cord.

The righting line: On the bottom of the front cross member there should be 2 small grommets/loops that the righting line passes through and is knotted off. The righting line is free to slide through the loop

The Bungee cord: the bungee cord is fixed to the front cross beam and then runs the length of the tramp to the rear beam. At the rear beam there is a loop attached to the inside/bottom of the beam. The bungee is free to slide through the loop. On the end of the bungee in the rear is a pulley that the righting line runs through.

When you go over….: (as the other have stated)
1) Pull in on main sheet to center and cleat. (the wind will get under the sail and aid in righting the boat)
2) Swim to the bow and climb on = Boat will turn slowly into the wind (bow will be under water – that’s ok)
3) When she’s into the wind, scurry down to the front cross beam and grab the top righting line knot and flip it over the upper hull (the one out of the water)
4) Hold onto the knot and lean baby….. lean! She should pop back up.

Re: question re: righting [Re: Marschassault] #30075
02/19/04 01:51 PM
02/19/04 01:51 PM
Annapolis, Maryland
Marschassault Offline
stranger
Marschassault  Offline
stranger

Annapolis, Maryland
Sorry Diagram didn't make it

thanks [Re: Marschassault] #30076
02/19/04 03:08 PM
02/19/04 03:08 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline OP
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline OP
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
Thanks, Marschassault. I'd really like to see that diagram you're talking about. Are you not able to attach it for some reason? If not, try sending it to my email at papayamon2@yahoo.com

Have you owned a Prindle before, by the way? You sound like you speak from experience...

Kevin

Re: question re: righting [Re: papayamon2] #30077
02/19/04 04:58 PM
02/19/04 04:58 PM
Socal
nesdog Offline
journeyman
nesdog  Offline
journeyman

Socal
I've had my P-18 since about 1988. I've always run the righting line from the dolphin striker over the top hull. With two people, righting is fairly simple as long as the mast is pointed upwind. I've even managed to right it with my wife (102 lbs soaking wet)as crew. (well, she was skipper when we dumped!)

These days I also carry a Solo`Right whether I have a crew or not. That gives me an extra margin for righting in case we get tired/cold etc.

Sheldon
P-18

one more clarification [Re: nesdog] #30078
02/19/04 05:45 PM
02/19/04 05:45 PM
Largo, Florida
papayamon2 Offline OP
enthusiast
papayamon2  Offline OP
enthusiast

Largo, Florida
OK, one more question... Some people seem to be saying to point the bow into the wind to right the boat, while others are saying to point the mast into the wind. Are we really talking two different things, or do both of these mean the same?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 485 guests, and 97 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022