Hop To
Twisting Spi lines and other questions. #30514
02/25/04 10:25 PM
02/25/04 10:25 PM
Australia (Queensland)
Berthos Offline OP
Berthos  Offline OP

Australia (Queensland)
As I have just mentioned in another thread I have swapped my Taipan Cat for a sloop with spi. The spi unfortunately is not F16 compliant as it is 21sqm. A smaller spi will have to wait for another day.

We went for a first sail yesterday and had a great time. We picked a fairly calm day for our first sail, around 5 knots. It's quite different having the downwind sail pass so quickly!

We are launching our spi out of a bag on the port side of the tramp.

We are having a problem with the section of line that pulls the tack out getting twisted. This is causing the very bottom of the spi to get twisted and makes it a little difficult to launch. We are throwing the halyard over the back of the boat before we drop. Any suggestions? We thought about putting a swivel at the tack.

We are also finding, as I mentioned in the other thread, that we don't seem to be able to sail much higher than a broad reach without the luff curling and the spi wanting to collapse. Any suggestions for this one?

At the moment we are hanging the head of the spi directly of a saddle rivetted to the mast. Is this being a bit optimistic in expecting the saddle to take the load?

What do the rest of you do with the mass of a halyard that is left after hoisting the spi? Leave it dragging behind the boat?

Rob.

--Advertisement--
Re: Twisting Spi lines and other questions. [Re: Berthos] #30515
02/26/04 03:59 PM
02/26/04 03:59 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Dermot Offline
old hand
Dermot  Offline
old hand

Dublin, Ireland
"What do the rest of you do with the mass of a halyard that is left after hoisting the spi? Leave it dragging behind the boat?"
Have a chute on the Spitfire now, so the halyard is continuous, but when I had the bag, I used to tie the end of the halyard to the base of the mast, so that it could not knot.

Dermot
Catapult 265

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 245 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022