09/22/05 12:11 PM
09/22/05 12:11 PM
Virginia Beach
Sunvista Offline OP
journeyman
Sunvista  Offline OP
journeyman

Virginia Beach
I have a Murrays "butt bucket" but want a little more support for distance. I'm considering the Murrays Freedom full harness or either the GUL Pro or Pro nappy. Can anyone recommend any one of these over the others? And why?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Looking for harness recommendation. [Re: Sunvista] #57816
09/22/05 10:49 PM
09/22/05 10:49 PM
West Texas
JaimeZX Offline
enthusiast
JaimeZX  Offline
enthusiast

West Texas
My wife and I have the Murray's "Race Half Harness" and we're very happy with it. FWIW.

Warm regards, Jim
Re: Looking for harness recommendation. [Re: Sunvista] #57817
09/30/05 06:25 AM
09/30/05 06:25 AM
The Netherlands, Europe
flying_dutchman Offline
journeyman
flying_dutchman  Offline
journeyman

The Netherlands, Europe
Hi,

Tried various harnesses because I mostly sail alone on my H16 and under different weather conditions. For comfortable sailing I adjusted harness in such a way that under normal conditions the straps over my shoulders are under low tension (good "belly" muscle training). Just by stretching my back fully the straps are fully functional (supporting my back) without any adjustment needed. Next the size of the spreader is important: if the size is not large enough your hipbones will be hurting after long trips. The adjustment range of the various straps is important when you sail under different circumstances. I sail from March till (sometimes) mid November in Holland (Europe). Means I use every kind of suit: shorty, steamer, drysuit. You should check in advance because when you can not move sufficiently because of all the layer in between you won't be able to sail longer. Last but not least important: Do try the harness with suitable suit and in a realistic situation. Overhere most shops have kind of trapeze you can use. Especially for us men: check the way the straps between your legs. Some harnesses act like nutcrackers (sorry) and you're likely to find out when moving on your trampoline. Very painfull I can tell you...
By the way: I use a Magic Marine Classic Harness. Might not be available in the USA?

Eddie
The Netherlands
Hobie 16 # 99173

Happy sailing from The Netherlands!

Eddie

Hobie 16 (1992) # 99173 & CT11 - with spi
Re: Looking for harness recommendation. [Re: flying_dutchman] #57818
10/04/05 01:44 PM
10/04/05 01:44 PM
Virginia Beach
Sunvista Offline OP
journeyman
Sunvista  Offline OP
journeyman

Virginia Beach
Hi,

Tried various harnesses because I mostly sail alone on my H16 and under different weather conditions. For comfortable sailing I adjusted harness in such a way that under normal conditions the straps over my shoulders are under low tension (good "belly" muscle training). Just by stretching my back fully the straps are fully functional (supporting my back) without any adjustment needed. Next the size of the spreader is important: if the size is not large enough your hipbones will be hurting after long trips. The adjustment range of the various straps is important when you sail under different circumstances. I sail from March till (sometimes) mid November in Holland (Europe). Means I use every kind of suit: shorty, steamer, drysuit. You should check in advance because when you can not move sufficiently because of all the layer in between you won't be able to sail longer. Last but not least important: Do try the harness with suitable suit and in a realistic situation. Overhere most shops have kind of trapeze you can use. Especially for us men: check the way the straps between your legs. Some harnesses act like nutcrackers (sorry) and you're likely to find out when moving on your trampoline. Very painfull I can tell you...
By the way: I use a Magic Marine Classic Harness. Might not be available in the USA?

Eddie
The Netherlands
Hobie 16 # 99173
Thanks for the adjustment tips. I got the Gul Pro and tried it out this weekend. I think Magic Marine is not available here. You are correct about the shoulder straps. I left them loose for comfort but found no back support. And I think I had the legs too tight. The Murrays half harness I have is a nut cracker which is why I was looking for something with leg straps. It was especially enlightening to learn that Holland is in Europe...HA! Just joking. Actually one of my crew is Dutch. She works for NATO here.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 603 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022