These are OK solutions but they all add bulk and hard spots to the sheet where it runs around the headstay. Better solution is to splice a "Y" out of two pieces of 4mm spectra, and bury two ends of the "Y" into the middle of the sheet going either direction. Lock stitch each side (non cored lines) and voila, you end up with a short 4mm pigtail coming directly out of the middle of the sheet, no hard spots or visible splices. Tie ends together in ****. Did mine this way and there is no problem with it catching on gybes.

Can do it with Robline Racing Sheet Pro (best) for around $130. Buzz Line about half that.
Contact me through AnacortesRigging.com

Originally Posted by Isotope42
Originally Posted by wildtsail
Take a fid to the center of the spin sheet.
Pass the 3mm dyneema through the core.
Wrap the 3mm dyneema around the core a couple times.
Pass the 3mm dyneema through the core in the same direction as the first pass.
Bury the tails / splice together into one another for a foot to 18" depending on your boat and how close the clew gets to your blocks.

Here are a few options that come to mind and that I prototyped this morning. The red pigtail below is close to what is described above. The red dyneema pierces the hollow-braid sheet, wraps around, and goes back through the same hole. The pieces are then secured with a locked brummel and bury. There's a large locked brummel eye splice at the other end. You can attach the sheets to the clew with an eye-hitch.

The second version (green) is less permanent. Here I started with a dyneema strop with a locked brummel eye splice on each end (one large and one small). I pierced the sheet off-center (to capture more of the strands), pushed the small eye through, and eye-hitched it in place.

The third option (blue) is perhaps the strongest, but also the bulkiest. Here I've put a locked brummel eye in the middle of the sheet. Then I took a strop made like the green one and eye-hitched the small eye to the sheet.

I think I like the red version best. It is the smallest and tidyest of the three. It should be stronger than the green and nearly as strong as the blue. It also turned out to be the easiset to make, given that the Bzzz Line I used as sheet prototype is difficult to pierce.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Anacortes Rigging.com
Rigging and Yacht Services